Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Perfect but....

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 2.6

Perfect but....

Postby aL1 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:09 pm

I've been running 2.6.3 since its' release, and it's about a perfect OS as any OS gets.....except for one minor annoyance...and me being semi-no0b, it's been difficult to troubleshoot:

#1 'The screensaver kicks-off after ten-minutes....(I un-checked a few 'Startup Applications', but it is un-resolved)'-

I looked at the 'Processes', and the 'Status' for 99% of them is 'sleeping'-

Any help getting the screensaver to stay on would be greatly appreciated-

A second question NOT related to the above issue: If I wanted to re-install 2.6.3, and keep my settings and desktop, would all I have to do is copy my 'HOME' folder, then install 2.6.3, and replace its' 'HOME' folder with the folder I copied?
-Thanks!
Gigabyte EP45-UD3P
E8400 @4.22GHz
GSkill PC2-8800 @1192MHz
TRUE120
Xonar D1
M4 64GB
WDCBlack 1T
2 Velociraptors 150GB@
HD4870
Dragon Lord K62
Antec 750W
Asus VH238H LED
aL1
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.6 64 BIT

Re: Perfect but....

Postby kiwinsn » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:28 pm

Hi aL1

Screensaver - Go to System - Preferences - Screensaver.

Change the "Regard the computer as idle after:" to whatever value you prefer. If you take the tick out of "Lock..." then you won't need to put your password in when the screensaver finishes. Under Power management, you can change time time for when the screen goes to sleep etc, and make that the default setting.

For a reinstall...you are correct. In Nautilus, under Edit - Preferences, I have show hidden and system files ticked, so when I backup I can save the .mozilla and .thunderbird folders (I hope that is the same in 2.6.3...it's been a while!!) as well as Documents etc. I may be wrong, but you don't need the rest....I change the Appearance with each reinstall....

After the reinstall, I run Firefox and Thunderbird once (cancel the set up options in Thunderbird for your mail account). After that it's just a straight copy/paste to the new Home folder. One thing I have found is that the Mozilla and Thunderbird folders have a folder inside them with random letters and .default at the end. I used to copy/paste the whole lot, which would duplicate the .default folder in each which screwed me up last time.

Go in to the backed up copy of the folders, and copy the contents of the xxxx.default folder in to the xxx.default folder of each programme. Once completed, you should have all your mail and account settings in place for Thunderbird, as well as your bookmarks, preferences and saved passwords for Firefox.

Cheers
System:
Specs to come.
Registered Linux user number: 542342
kiwinsn

Operating System: Ultimate Edition Beta Tester

Postby aL1 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:35 pm

I know how to use the screensaver: what I'm saying is that after I start the screensaver, it will run for about 10 minutes, and then for no apparent reason shut itself off (close) leaving just my desktop :mrgreen:

I don't know if it is a startup app, a running process, or a bug...maybe someone ran across this in 2.6.3 before and knows what the cause and fix for it is-

Anyway, thanks for the 'copy HOME' advice!!
Gigabyte EP45-UD3P
E8400 @4.22GHz
GSkill PC2-8800 @1192MHz
TRUE120
Xonar D1
M4 64GB
WDCBlack 1T
2 Velociraptors 150GB@
HD4870
Dragon Lord K62
Antec 750W
Asus VH238H LED
aL1
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Postby dougal » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:35 am

aL1 - hope you have your screensaver problem fixed, if not I had the same issue for a while and even though I checked through the BIOS to make sure the BIOS wasn't overriding any OS settings in Power Management, I eventually went and installed a fresh up-to-date copy of 32-bit 2.6 and redid the screensaver settings. I have had no issues since doing that. Maybe there is a corrupt file somewhere.
ImageImage

Serious Ultimate Edition user with little talent but, stacks of enthusiasm and willing to help anyone as much as I humbly can...
Main OS: Ultimate Edition 2.6 on all my machines (can't live without Emerald)
On probation OS: 3.5 64-bit
dougal
Site Admin

Operating System: Other O/S

Postby JOHNNYG » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:29 pm

Blackwolf +1 That should work ! <BREW>
JOHNNYG
Ultimate Eddiction<
Ultimate Edition STUDIO
Ultimate-E
Onyx 64
Pentium 4 processor
2x512 Kingston DDR memory
Maxtor Diamondmax 500 gig
Maxtor Maxline 80 gig, Split for testing only !
Maxtor Diamondmax 500 gig, Storage
Booting 8 OS's, No MS !
ATI 9600 series (RV350 AQ)graphics card
Sony DVD/CD Rewritable Drive DOUBLE LAYER DRU-820A/Sony DRU-800A CD DVD±RW Dual DVD Recorder
Team Leader at
http://www.ultimateeditionoz.com/
JOHNNYG
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Postby aL1 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:19 am

dougal wrote:aL1 - hope you have your screensaver problem fixed, if not I had the same issue for a while and even though I checked through the BIOS to make sure the BIOS wasn't overriding any OS settings in Power Management, I eventually went and installed a fresh up-to-date copy of 32-bit 2.6 and redid the screensaver settings. I have had no issues since doing that. Maybe there is a corrupt file somewhere.

I think re-installing is the way to resolve this too...rather than spend time installing 2.6.3....I'll just wait for 2.6.4

Thanks!
Gigabyte EP45-UD3P
E8400 @4.22GHz
GSkill PC2-8800 @1192MHz
TRUE120
Xonar D1
M4 64GB
WDCBlack 1T
2 Velociraptors 150GB@
HD4870
Dragon Lord K62
Antec 750W
Asus VH238H LED
aL1
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Postby dougal » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:47 pm

Give Blackwolf's settings a shot first. They might just work for you.
ImageImage

Serious Ultimate Edition user with little talent but, stacks of enthusiasm and willing to help anyone as much as I humbly can...
dougal
Site Admin

Postby aL1 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:38 pm

dougal wrote:Give Blackwolf's settings a shot first. They might just work for you.

Didn't work-
Gigabyte EP45-UD3P
E8400 @4.22GHz
GSkill PC2-8800 @1192MHz
TRUE120
Xonar D1
M4 64GB
WDCBlack 1T
2 Velociraptors 150GB@
HD4870
Dragon Lord K62
Antec 750W
Asus VH238H LED
aL1
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Postby dougal » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:28 pm

Bummer, funny how it goes. I must admit, like I said I have had no issues with setting the screensaver/power settings once I did a fresh install. I think I have reinstalled twice since then after screwing things up myself. Nothing I can blame anything Linux for, just my plain stupidity.
For me the easiest thing is always to reinstall.
All things of value are stored off the laptops so it never matters if I have to.
It only takes around 17 minutes to install with a further 15 to 20 redoing my settings and that's it, a nice fresh system ready to go once more. Can't say I could do that with anything Windows... at least half a day or more most of the time.
Now that I have forked out for a SSD drive the install time is down to six minutes.
Anyways, I'm sure you'll pull through.
ImageImage

dougal
Site Admin

Return to Ultimate Edition 2.6 (Including 2.6.5)