Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

An Honest Question.

The Ultimate Guide for the rest of us

An Honest Question.

Postby OnoSendai » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:19 am

I was here a while back as OnoSendai, but my temper drove me away. Since then, I've been diagnosed with cancer, (melanoma). They took a 2-inch diameter circle of my face off, but apparently it wasn't enough, further surgeries forthwith. I say all this to say that I've changed in some ways, but some ways not. I always hated when Linux users put down Windows by calling it Windoze, Window$, etc. I know a lot, of (most?) Linux users fled Windows because it let them down somehow. When my original Vista bricked, luckily I had just installed a free copy of Ubuntu, (remember those?), and was able to keep on going. I dlled and installed a pirate copy of Win7 that I still use today, figuring Microsoft owed me that much.
That was 5 years ago, since then I think I've tried 100 distros. First Ubuntu, then Peppermint, then I discovered Ultimate Edition with 2.6. Loved it, I could change everything, including the theme without having to use Windowblinds, and fell in love. I always kept Win7 for games and my printer. Long story short, every distro let me down one way or the other, or simply the fact that Windows did everything I needed and wanted without having to have a distro on my machine.
My question is: Why isn't Linux as a DESKTOP, not a server, more popular and used more? Is it the perception that it is a "geeks" play toy, that it is more complicated to use, (it isn't, of course), or that most users are sheeple that use whatever is on the machine they buy?
It freed me up and gave me the courage to play with my system, (the first time I typed in sudo apt-get update and those lovely numbers started tumbling down the screen I felt like I was The Hacker God :lol: ).
So, serious question (and if you call me a troll there will be sharp words and muskets at dawn), WHY isn't this thing we love so well not catching on with the "unwashed masses", i.e., Joe Q. Public?
P.S. I posted that bit about Windows at the top because TO ME ONLY Windows is just another distro, with it's own faults and merits. No more, no less.
SERIOUS DISCUSSION ONLY.
For the world, which seems to lie before us like a land of dreams, so various, so beautiful, so new, has really neither joy, nor love, nor light, nor certitude, nor peace, nor help for pain. And we are here as on a darkling plain, swept with confused alarms of struggle and flight. Where ignorant armies clash by night...
OnoSendai
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Operating System: Microsoft Windows

Re: An Honest Question.

Postby pam » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:01 am

In order to create, one must first destroy...well at least that's what is going on with linux..
8 years ago if you wanted to watch a movie or wanted tools and graphics programs and the same to work with, you could buy a local linux magazine with mandrake and be done.
On windows you either had to get an internet connection or get a magazine with k-lite codec pack and vlc..
Linux matured a long time ago. That was the end, but linux is all about enterprising. Starting with kde 4.0 and gnome 3.
Windows has caught up..for basic tasks and entertainment its still perfect. I dont have the hate i had once.
Apple is like buying a perfume bottle for $200. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Strelok, Hope you come back with the same passion you had. :)
DONOTSPAMORTROLL:
http://forumubuntusoftware.info/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11
Download Ultimate Edition and Oz Unity 3.0 from copy:-
https://www.copy.com/s/oBnDBsDOvxF8jW1EuLKM/Public
Download Ultimate Edition from sourceforge:-
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ultimat ... rce=navbar
Download Oz Unity 3.0 from sourceforge:-
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ueoz/files/UEOz/
Download Ultimate Edition torrents from linuxtracker:-
http://linuxtracker.org/index.php?page= ... 0&active=1
Download Oz Unity 3.0 torrents from linuxtracker:-
http://linuxtracker.org/index.php?page= ... 0&active=1
Image Image
Visit:http://www.ultimateeditionoz.com
pam
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.5 64 BIT

Postby OnoSendai » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:03 am

Thank you, Blackwolf. You were always a gentleman to me even when I was being a bloody fool. I'm glad to see you are still here.
EDIT: Thank you, pam. I'm finding it hard to muster passion to keep on living, much less anything else. My mother has just been diagnosed with cancer, a mass on her liver and gallbladder. She's my best friend, I can suggest chili dogs for breakfast and she's like, "Sure".

*sigh* I've missed you all, can you ever forgive me? I could use some friends right now and you people were always the best ones I knew. :oops:
EDIT: I'm gonna re-download 2.6.7. They were always my favorite and I always felt guilty when I didn't have a Ultimate Edition on my system.
For the world, which seems to lie before us like a land of dreams, so various, so beautiful, so new, has really neither joy, nor love, nor light, nor certitude, nor peace, nor help for pain. And we are here as on a darkling plain, swept with confused alarms of struggle and flight. Where ignorant armies clash by night...
OnoSendai
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Postby OnoSendai » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:24 am

Blackwolf wrote:
Strelok wrote:Thank you, Blackwolf. You were always a gentleman to me even when I was being a bloody fool. I'm glad to see you are still here.
EDIT: Thank you, pam. I'm finding it hard to muster passion to keep on living, much less anything else. My mother has just been diagnosed with cancer, a mass on her liver and gallbladder. She's my best friend, I can suggest chili dogs for breakfast and she's like, "Sure".

*sigh* I've missed you all, can you ever forgive me? I could use some friends right now and you people were always the best ones I knew. :oops:
EDIT: I'm gonna re-download 2.6.7. They were always my favorite and I always felt guilty when I didn't have a Ultimate Edition on my system.

Consider yourself forgiven :rainbow

Now, would you like me to change your name to OnoSendai ?

Or Randy, (my real name). Whichever you prefer is fine. And thank you. You were always a good man.
OnoSendai
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Postby OnoSendai » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:29 am

I...have something in my eye. I'll return later.

Again, thank you, old friend.

EDIT: I just read what you wrote and I'm crying now. You honor us all just by being you.
OnoSendai
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Postby OnoSendai » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:38 am

Sorry, got way off-topic. I had heard rumors about Windows employing shady measures to increase marketshare, but I never heard exactly how. I guess that explains all of the animosity, (Distrowatch was especially heated this week). So, if Windows hadn't used underhanded tactics, Linux would be neck and neck with them today? I honestly have always wondered. To me, if I knew about Ultimate Edition or other distros, I wouldn't give Windows a second glance. Unfortunately, my favorite game, S.T.A.L.K.E.R., (all three, plus mods), won't play on WINE.
OnoSendai
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:39 pm

Sorry for writing Windoze in my posts. Was not meant to offend anyone and now that I see it has will refrain! I saw it listed that way and got a charge out of it and did the "Monkey see, Monkey do". I would say best solution for your dilemma is to run a dual boot. Most things I need to run can get away with Windows in Vbox. Games are usually high graphics and memory so have to usually do a dual boot for them! I hear a lot of this from one of the techs I work with about how wonderful "Windows is!" also how "Linux is for people that have a lot of time on their hands to fool with things!" Sure for those of us that put these together is very time consuming!!! Then one has to consider, look how long it took to get from Windows 7 to 8! Now for just a regular user, sure you have to find programs that work in Linux. You also have to find ones that work in Windows when you are running it! Generally in my consensus of both systems, anything that goes beyond surfing the web takes time to do! I was a Windows user from 02 to 12 and used every OS they had. I spent hours on end working with sound files and video files to find programs that actually worked! On the Linux side close to the same amount of time was spent. Largest difference between Windows and Linux is the forums. Generally on Windows, forums are not as informative. On the Linux side, is beyond unbelievable!!! Is like a family on here, for example!!!! People are more open about problems experienced and those that help have incredible hearts of Gold!!! Seems you can enter a search for any problem experienced on a Linux system and an answer will pop up! On Windows not as much! Is weird but true!!!! I will never return to Windows as a full time user due to the fact there is more togetherness within the entire community of Linux. I do not see that ever happening with Windows! Another fact: Try to get a Windows developer to write a few lines to you! Never happened for me! Over here, has been awesome as have had some lines and in my estimation is with the best developer ever known!!! Always thanks to you TheeMahn! You are the greatest and have our deepest concerns always in mind!!!
Firm believer in Asus, Linux and Technology
"Art is to be enjoyed by all that enjoy it"
Asus M5A97 Plus motherboard
AMD FX 4350 Processor
Asus R7250 2GD5 graphics card
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
24in Asus VE248 LED Monitor
OS=My 8th OS Star Trek(Ubuntu 16.04)
Desktops=Gnome 3.20 and LXDE
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
OS= Win7 SP1/8th OS Star Trek(Ubuntu 16.04)
Desktops Gnome 3.20 and LXDE
2nd 500gig Seagate HD R.I.P
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.5 64 BIT

Postby OnoSendai » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:27 am

All true, BBOS. All true.
OnoSendai
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Return to Newbie's Corner