Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Anyone With Problems, Please Read.

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 1.8

Re: Anyone With Problems, Please Read.

Postby DaddyX3 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:45 am

EisBlade wrote:Great. I'll work on this following the next reboot. I just ran through TheeMan's 1.8 tweak document. Well written, and slam full of great info. Going through it, however, prompts a couple of questions...

When you minimize windows in linux to access the windows behind it, where does the one you minimized go to? Is there a way to actually see what has been minimized and allow mouse-click selection other than ALT TAB'ing?

Per the 1.8 tweak document: I opened Terminal, pasted the following sudo line, and hit ENTER. I was prompted to authorize with a password, and a little some'thun some'thun happened. That was it. I don't see anything in Applications or System showing a new 'bootchart' application. Where do new applications install to?
sudo apt-get install -y --force-yes bootchart

And lastly, in the final portion of TheeMan's tweaking document ( a very nice and informative read, by the way!) concerning the tweaking of EXT3 formatted filesystems, the following command is given as being the final thing needed to tie everything in:
sudo tune2fs -o journal_data_writeback /dev/yourdrive
- My question here is, would anyone know the terminal command to type in to determine what 'yourdrive' is?

It sucks being a nOOb. Mucho grassyass..
JT

-You don't see anything being registered with bootchart, its just "one of those" applications. ;)
If you want to see the results of your boot times, just go in to var/log/bootchart and there should be all the results, just click on them and it will give you the picture.

A quick easy way to see what your /dev/xxx is, would be to just open up Gparted (System>>Admin>>Partition Editor) and this will give you a graphical identification.
or in a terminal you could do:
Code: Select all
sudo fdisk -l

which will give you an idea of all your disks/partitions ;)
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 2.5GHz 45nm/Gigabyte EP35C-DS3R M.B. w/ddr3 1333
G.Skill 2X1GB DDR3 1333MHz/Gigabyte 8800GT PCIe 2.0 512MB GDDR3 OC'd to 700Mhz/ WD160 gig, 2- WD250 gig in RAID-0 (500GB), WD640 gig e-SATA external

AMD 64 X2 3800+/ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe/G.Skill 2X1GB Matched Pair ddr400
/EVGA 6800GS Nvidia Graphics 256MB/WD160gig drive

HTPC Box:AMD 64 X2 4400+/ BIOSTAR TF7050PV HDMI MicroATX/G.Skill 2X1GB /Matched Pair DDR800/Integrated video and audio/WD160gig drive
DaddyX3
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.3 32 BIT

Postby EisBlade » Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:35 pm

I completed all steps of the suggested tweaking. Now, when booting up I get a screen for a "Recovery Menu" that offers about 4 lines to choose from. They are:

resume -
dpkg - repair broken packages
root -
xfix - try to fix x server

I'm thinking that I should select "x fix" to repair something there because prior to this Recovery Menu I'm prompted to select a graphics mode now, which I wasn't before going through all these tweaking steps. I don't know which step it was, nor how to go about making a selection to recover. Mayyybe it was placing "profile" at the end of line when editing Grub, as advised, that broke my install? Dunno. I'm going to try removing that line to see what happens - but that was one of the Tweaks that was supposed to offer the biggest 'bang'. Uh huh....
EisBlade
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby DaddyX3 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:04 am

Well, I hope you remember all the steps taken in TheeMahns tweak guide. I'm sure you were warned about the possibility of messing up your install. So, now your on a nice "learning adventure" ;)
G.Skill 2X1GB DDR3 1333MHz/Gigabyte 8800GT PCIe 2.0 512MB GDDR3 OC'd to 700Mhz/ WD160 gig, 2- WD250 gig in RAID-0 (500GB), WD640 gig e-SATA external

HTPC Box:AMD 64 X2 4400+/ BIOSTAR TF7050PV HDMI MicroATX/G.Skill 2X1GB /Matched Pair DDR800/Integrated video and audio/WD160gig drive
DaddyX3
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby EisBlade » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:43 am

I have, over the years, collected Internet Explorer "Favorites". I found the folder/file method of Favorites in IE convenient to do this and organize versus the Netscape Navigator "html page" way. Is there a way of transferring these Favorites into use with Ultimate?

Yes...a learning adventure. Hehehe. I don't mind though; Windows and computers in general were a learning course for me 10yrs ago. I remember dialing up and accessing mail servers to gather and leave messages....lol.

This install - I kept both (one for XP, one for Ultimate) SATA drives connected and installed Ultimate into some selected partitions (similar to abovementioned), and pointed GRUB to /dev/sda. All installed fine that time. I haven't ran through all the tweaking steps again, but have an idea where to have caution. I don't mind the learning and reinstalling, what I don't like is that now I have a LOT of personal data that I've collected over the years that I'd hate to lose if anything were to mess up. All that's on an external SATA drive which I disconnect while in Ultimate for now til I'm more comfortable in that regard.

I plan on pushing (the licensed) XP drive off to the side and disconnecting it eventually, and running Ultimate as primary; booting into WinBorg XP 2007 via VirtualBox when I need something in Windows.

I really appreciate all those that have stepped up and assisted to this point. You saved a lot of time, and frustration, which has provided me with a much better experience with Ultimate. Not to mention all that I'm learning along the way!

Anyone know the settings so that Compiz will spin a desktop cube with curved windows rather than straight cube-like sides as shown in the Ultimate Edition preview images?

Mucho gracias!
EisBlade
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby DaddyX3 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:17 am

Hi, I think you might be looking for "deformation' opiton in compiz. I have not personally experienced this yet (too much on my plate lately!). You could try looking in the Compiz/Beryl section of this forum for your answer. Sorry I don't have a straight answer on this one.

DaddyX3
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby TheeMahn » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:21 am

DaddyX3 wrote:Hi, I think you might be looking for "deformation' opiton in compiz. I have not personally experienced this yet (too much on my plate lately!). You could try looking in the Compiz/Beryl section of this forum for your answer. Sorry I don't have a straight answer on this one.

Why do you have to be green? I was green when I was in the military at one time ;) My "Tweak Guide" is not for the light of heart. It is not done and will get "heavier", what I said by navigating this guide priceless.

Just my 2 cents,

TheeMahn
Home of Ultimate Edition. Got a question? Please review the F.A.Q. Browse the How to section.

Main O/S: Builder of O/S Guess.
Mainboard: ASUS Hero VI (AM4)
CPU: AMD 1700X water cooled (Deepcool Captain Genome Cooling tower)
Ram: 16 GB GSkill Trident RGB Series Dual Channel DDR4 3200
Video: MSI RX470 8GB Gaming card.
Hard Disks: MASSIVE on the network.(10 Gigabit, 48 port, multiple servers)
Monitors: Dual 4K 43" LG, 4K Samsung 28"
750 Watt modular PSU (Rosswell)
1100 Watt Amp & 4 X 600 Watt speakers

Servers in the basement.
TheeMahn
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition Developer

Postby EisBlade » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:46 am

TheeMahn wrote:
DaddyX3 wrote:Hi, I think you might be looking for "deformation' opiton in compiz. I have not personally experienced this yet (too much on my plate lately!). You could try looking in the Compiz/Beryl section of this forum for your answer. Sorry I don't have a straight answer on this one.

Why do you have to be green? I was green when I was in the military at one time ;) ....
TheeMahn

I'm as green then as TheeMan refers....hehehe. In 14yrs now, I'm about to head out on my 4th "field trip", courtesy of good ole Uncle Sam. Of to exciting places to meet exciting new people, with hopes of changing their ways.

Because I'm so new to linux, and Ultimate Edition especially, I don't have a whole lot invested in my linux installs just yet (settings, preferences, applications, etc.). Just as when I walked myself through learning a PC back when there were ugly names such as OS/2, WARP, DOS 5.0, and Windows 3.0 - it wasn't anything to wipe everything out and reinstall, minus all the constant feeding of diskettes required by yesteryear, mind you. And that's what I find I do now. I've yet to learn how to install linux, Ultimate Edition or other, in a way that I like - then create an image of that install that will install in minutes rather than it taking me an hour (usually more) to redo everything. When in Windows, I just Ghosted an image. So, I'm going to keep at the Tweak guide as best I can til I figure out which steps are good for my PC and which aren't. Something bogs me down to the point that I click on an icon, any icon, and can walk away while it thinks about it. Some might be frustrated by this, I'm just looking for what step to avoid. If I deploy first, this project will be shelved for a long year. :)

TheeMan, you do great work. Keep on with what you do so well. :two thumbs up:

Und, Tschuess!
EisBlade
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby DaddyX3 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:01 am

EisBlade - I think TheeMahn was refering to my names color (GREEN), I'm also an admin - but like to swap things up everynow and again ;) I just changed back to Moderator last night - so prob threw him for a loop. Throws a little color around the board. <BREW>

DaddyX3
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby TheeMahn » Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:02 am

EisBlade wrote:
TheeMahn wrote:

Why do you have to be green? I was green when I was in the military at one time ;) ....
TheeMahn

I'm as green then as TheeMan refers....hehehe. In 14yrs now, I'm about to head out on my 4th "field trip", courtesy of good ole Uncle Sam. Of to exciting places to meet exciting new people, with hopes of changing their ways.

Because I'm so new to linux, and Ultimate Edition especially, I don't have a whole lot invested in my linux installs just yet (settings, preferences, applications, etc.). Just as when I walked myself through learning a PC back when there were ugly names such as OS/2, WARP, DOS 5.0, and Windows 3.0 - it wasn't anything to wipe everything out and reinstall, minus all the constant feeding of diskettes required by yesteryear, mind you. And that's what I find I do now. I've yet to learn how to install linux, Ultimate Edition or other, in a way that I like - then create an image of that install that will install in minutes rather than it taking me an hour (usually more) to redo everything. When in Windows, I just Ghosted an image. So, I'm going to keep at the Tweak guide as best I can til I figure out which steps are good for my PC and which aren't. Something bogs me down to the point that I click on an icon, any icon, and can walk away while it thinks about it. Some might be frustrated by this, I'm just looking for what step to avoid. If I deploy first, this project will be shelved for a long year. :)

TheeMan, you do great work. Keep on with what you do so well. :two thumbs up:

Und, Tschuess!

Thanx brother, I have had my taste of OS/2 & loved it, truly a multitasking O/S, not multi-threading. Yes I hated windows even back that far even though it had windows in it ;)
Home of Ultimate Edition. Got a question? Please review the F.A.Q. Browse the How to section.

Main O/S: Builder of O/S Guess.
Mainboard: ASUS Hero VI (AM4)
CPU: AMD 1700X water cooled (Deepcool Captain Genome Cooling tower)
Ram: 16 GB GSkill Trident RGB Series Dual Channel DDR4 3200
Video: MSI RX470 8GB Gaming card.
Hard Disks: MASSIVE on the network.(10 Gigabit, 48 port, multiple servers)
Monitors: Dual 4K 43" LG, 4K Samsung 28"
750 Watt modular PSU (Rosswell)
1100 Watt Amp & 4 X 600 Watt speakers

Servers in the basement.
TheeMahn
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition Developer

Postby malcolms » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:49 pm

hello I have a problem loading new video drivers for my Asus 8400gs. I installed the drivers using instructions form the Ubuntu forum site. After install I lost my wireless drivers dlink1320 card. Your instructions do not use the new 64bit drivers. Can I just change the file name and use yours. Envy does not have the proper drivers for my card. Also could you explain the GUI method. I am very new to linux any help would be appreciated.
malcolms
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

PreviousNext

Return to Ultimate Edition 1.8