Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

3.0 update manager?

Help & support for Ultimate Edtion 3.0

3.0 update manager?

Postby JohnTN » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:07 pm

Q. Is the update manager in Ubuntu Tweak the only one for 3.0?

I looked but can't seem to find any other?

Am I just missing it?

John
JohnTN
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Re: 3.0 update manager?

Postby aL1 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:20 pm

It's in 'Ubuntu Tweak'
Gigabyte EP45-UD3P
E8400 @4.22GHz
GSkill PC2-8800 @1192MHz
TRUE120
Xonar D1
M4 64GB
WDCBlack 1T
2 Velociraptors 150GB@
HD4870
Dragon Lord K62
Antec 750W
Asus VH238H LED
aL1
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.6 64 BIT

Postby JohnTN » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:12 am

Thanks Blackwolf, But your last paragraph below appears to have been left out of 3.0:

Is that something I can add?

John
================
Using Ubuntu Update Manager tool

This is GUI tool. It works like Microsoft /Red Hat update manager i.e. you will see a little icon in the kicker bar/taskbar when there are updates. It will only appear when new upgrades are available. All you have to do is click on it and follow the online instructions.

You can also star GUI tool by Clicking System > Administration > Update Manager
==============
JohnTN
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby onosendai58 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:27 am

JohnTN wrote:Q. Is the update manager in Ubuntu Tweak the only one for 3.0?

Am I just missing it?

John

In short, a popup will tell you when an update is needed. :D
I love Ultimate Edition & Oz Unity
onosendai58
U.E. Master
U.E. Master

Operating System: Microsoft Windows

Postby Driver » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:25 am

onosendai58 wrote:

Am I just missing it?

John

In short, a popup will tell you when an update is needed. :D

I have always thought of Update Manager as being nothing more than Synaptic Package Manager telling you that it has found updates to one or more of your installed packages and that it is time to allow it to update them. Since it looks like the same app as Synaptic - and, if you have updates available but close Update Manager and then run Synaptic and choose to install a new package, when you are presented with the list of things that are about to be done, it always notes that there are # packages which will not be upgraded.

Am I correct?
Driver "Driving you over the edge..."

Laptop: HP dv6226 - T2250 1.7gHz Pentium Dual-Core, 1gig, Intel (non-)graphics, Mint 14 Xfce 32-bit, MS Windows Vista Premium DOA
Desktop: Old AMD Athlon 2200+ 1.792gHz, 1.256gig, nVidia 5200fx 128meg, a new used hard drive awaiting an OS
Camera: Nikon Coolpix 3200 (MIA)
Printer/Scanner/Fax/Copier: Epson Artisan 810 (Awesome & works in linux!)
Phone: Defy XT Android no-contract $19/mo. unlimited talk/text/data (thanks, Republic Wireless!)
Scanner: Radio Shack PRO-2042 made by GRE (STOLEN - thief, I've got a bullet with your name on it)
Driver
U.E. College Professor
U.E. College Professor

Operating System: Other Linux

Postby Slopoke » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:52 am

I used: Synaptic>Status>Package Updates>Apply, done. Yep You can also find the menu GUI for Update Mgr there. Search "Update Mgr."
Dell/Intel Ultimate Edition 5.0 W/7 and MATE 16.10 2 HHD 80G and 250G Grub.
Slopoke
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.4 64 BIT

Postby aL1 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:43 am

Am I just missing it?

John

aL1 wrote:It's in 'Ubuntu Tweak'

My bad...what was I thinking???? :mrgreen:
Gigabyte EP45-UD3P
E8400 @4.22GHz
GSkill PC2-8800 @1192MHz
TRUE120
Xonar D1
M4 64GB
WDCBlack 1T
2 Velociraptors 150GB@
HD4870
Dragon Lord K62
Antec 750W
Asus VH238H LED
aL1
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.6 64 BIT

Postby Driver » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:08 pm

Slopoke wrote:I used: Synaptic>Status>Package Updates>Apply, done. Yep You can also find the menu GUI for Update Mgr there. Search "Update Mgr."

My Synaptic does not have a menu heading for Status. There is a Package (not Package Updates) menu, but it is a heading (see on the window without having to click a heading), not a second-level one. And everything under it is grayed out.

Did you download a different version of Synaptic Package Manager than the one that is preinstalled, or do I have to do something that everyone is assuming that everyone else already knows how to do and thus doesn't mention it?

Also:

I was looking around in Ubuntu Tweak - and I was presented with an update (five or eight things). I hesitated for a while, but told it to go ahead. I was worried because I thought I read a while back (previous Ultimate Edition version) that we were not supposed to upgrade our system via Ubuntu Tweak. But it appears to have worked acceptably. I just ran UT again and there are another five updates (one, Tweak, was updated last time - does this update thing only update incrementally, IOW, if I have version 3 and version 5 is available, will it only update to version 4 and then I have to pick up the current one afterwards? Or did they release a new version of UT in the 20 minutes or so between me getting the update and me running UT again?). And in UT under Applications / Update Manager (five more packages available, I assume it is safe to select and update them?) at the bottom there is a check-box for "Automatically run System Update Manager." If I check this and then exit the application, will my system start behaving like previous versions of Ultimate Edition did, that is, whenever updates are available the Update Manager would run and make me aware of it & let me click on the button (and type my password) to have the updates occur, instead of having to run Ubuntu Tweak whenever I think there might be updates available? I'd rather they were presented to me as soon as possible instead of me having to manually check via UT (I would probably forget a few days at a time and might miss something important).
Driver "Driving you over the edge..."

Laptop: HP dv6226 - T2250 1.7gHz Pentium Dual-Core, 1gig, Intel (non-)graphics, Mint 14 Xfce 32-bit, MS Windows Vista Premium DOA
Desktop: Old AMD Athlon 2200+ 1.792gHz, 1.256gig, nVidia 5200fx 128meg, a new used hard drive awaiting an OS
Camera: Nikon Coolpix 3200 (MIA)
Printer/Scanner/Fax/Copier: Epson Artisan 810 (Awesome & works in linux!)
Phone: Defy XT Android no-contract $19/mo. unlimited talk/text/data (thanks, Republic Wireless!)
Scanner: Radio Shack PRO-2042 made by GRE (STOLEN - thief, I've got a bullet with your name on it)
Driver
U.E. College Professor
U.E. College Professor

Operating System: Other Linux

Postby Slopoke » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:10 pm

Screenshot.png
after searching "software center" from search box.
Ok found I have no Software center..Found if I load it from synaptic, see screenie, it will also add the good ol update manager. the software will magically appear on the bottom of the Applications drop[down..And Update Manager will be in system>Administration. Does this help??
Oh yea, other question..no, the synaptic I use was already installed. just as in the scrsht. Haven't really changed anything except for pointer and minor appearence stuff.
And I always set updates to auto. still have to OK via PW to install. You can avoid the Upgrade bs by setting the notifications to Never in the "new releases" choices. Feel free to ask whenever you need something..No dum questions around here.
Dell/Intel Ultimate Edition 5.0 W/7 and MATE 16.10 2 HHD 80G and 250G Grub.
Slopoke
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.4 64 BIT

Postby Admin-Amir » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:05 pm

Slopoke Good work my Friend. ;)
Admin-Amir

Next

Return to Ultimate Edition 3.0