Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

synaptic wont launch

Help and support for Ultimate Edition 2.9

synaptic wont launch

Postby witblits1970 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:09 am

i have been trying to install some software via synaptic, but after i type my password synaptic fails to load :(
no idea why that is. i had to do a fresh install since i accidentally changed some settings and my desktop gui failed to start.
is there a script i can use to get synaptic going or would i be better off waiting for 3.0 to be released and do a fresh install again? i have installed goodies via software centre in the meantime so not all is lost.

thanks
mobo asus m5a99 x
ram 16 gig ddr3 @1333mhz kingston
hdd 2tb seagate
cpu 3.9 gig fx 6 core piledriver
witblits1970
U.E. College Professor
U.E. College Professor

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 64 BIT

Re: synaptic wont launch

Postby billhedrick » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:21 am

a couple possibilities, first are you sure you have entered your password correctly? This could be that you thought you set the password as for example "12345" and actually entered "!@#$%" Also which version of Ultimate Edition are you using. You can check your password by going to System/Administration/Users and Groups. But if that fails and you haven't done much with Ultimate Edition, either re-install or wait for 3.0. I have no word about it's release, but it is coming soon.
billhedrick
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Postby witblits1970 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:48 am

billhedrick wrote:a couple possibilities, first are you sure you have entered your password correctly? This could be that you thought you set the password as for example "12345" and actually entered "!@#$%" Also which version of Ultimate Edition are you using. You can check your password by going to System/Administration/Users and Groups. But if that fails and you haven't done much with Ultimate Edition, either re-install or wait for 3.0. I have no word about it's release, but it is coming soon.

yes my password is entered correctly as i had to use it for installing software via software centre. i'll wait for 3.0 to come out as i'm sure i could simply use software centre in the meantime, i changed very little in the general makeup of the install other than installing software i wanted.

thanks for the help so far
mobo asus m5a99 x
ram 16 gig ddr3 @1333mhz kingston
hdd 2tb seagate
cpu 3.9 gig fx 6 core piledriver
witblits1970
U.E. College Professor
U.E. College Professor

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 64 BIT

Postby pclinuxguru » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:11 pm

Greetings

Open terminal

Code: Select all
sudo apt-get remove

sudo apt-get autoremove

sudo apt-get clean

sudo apt-get autoclean

sudo apt-get update

sudo-apt-get upgrade

sudo apt-get install -f

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

sudo dpkg --configure -a

Now try and open synaptic, post any output that looks concerning if needed.

What happens all to often is a package is damaged and needs fixed to proceed.
pclinuxguru is deceased.R.I.P
pclinuxguru
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ubuntu Gusty Gibson

Return to Ultimate Edition 2.9