Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

nvidia card issues

Help and support for Ultimate Edition 2.9

nvidia card issues

Postby witblits1970 » Thu May 12, 2011 8:04 am

a friend has the following setup, m3a72-d wifi delux mb and a gt250 nvidia card with 512 meg ram. he has no issues with releases up to 10.04 but since the 10.10 upgrade he has had nothing but trouble with the OS loading. he says the login screen gets scrambled during the login process , when the little dots appear on the screen nad hence can see no gui or desktop for that matter. is it nvidea with not releasing the drivers? the issue i think is what is the difference between the 10.04 and 10.10 upgrade as far as nvidea cards go? :?

cheers
mobo asus m5a99 x
ram 16 gig ddr3 @1333mhz kingston
hdd 2tb seagate
cpu 3.9 gig fx 6 core piledriver
witblits1970
U.E. College Professor
U.E. College Professor

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 64 BIT

Re: nvidia card issues

Postby pclinuxguru » Thu May 12, 2011 4:08 pm

Answer is that some time back they moved the gpu drivers to kernel to simplify os setup and compatibility in live mode. This is turn strewed a great deal of older tech.

Use
nomodset
via f6 when starting live to fix the issue and force drivers off disk and not kernel.

In some cases you will need to boot via safe graphics mode first time and install the drivers for the GPU via additional drivers etc.
pclinuxguru is deceased.R.I.P
pclinuxguru
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ubuntu Gusty Gibson

Postby witblits1970 » Thu May 12, 2011 4:24 pm

thanks have sent him an email so hopefully this will cure the issue. will repost as soon a i know the outcome
mobo asus m5a99 x
hdd 2tb seagate
witblits1970
U.E. College Professor
U.E. College Professor

Postby pclinuxguru » Thu May 12, 2011 4:26 pm

Encountered this on some 20+ systems now.

Every time , nomodset was the answer.
pclinuxguru
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby witblits1970 » Fri May 13, 2011 6:14 pm

Sorry the card is a nvidia GT240 not GT 250 as stated and what happens is with any O/S above 10.04, be it Ubuntu, Ultimate, mint or any of the others with 10.10 or above is that they either hang at the Peter Alvin text screen or they get to the screen B4 the login with the dots that go up and down, Think theres 5 of them, and on the last dot just B4 it is supposed to kick in it Crashes and Corrupts or Garbles the Graphics on the screen as if its displaying what was in the memory last time it shut down.....
Thank you for your quick reply but I dont fully understand what I'm supposed to do as I cant even get my self past the Ubuntu dots Screen to log in or try to sort it out as it will n ot start?? :roll:
Please could you take the time to explain how I'm supposed to do the :nomodset, when I cant even log in or start any O/S??
Thank you in Advance for all your help and at least taking the time to try and help me......Thank you...deeds3353..( The person with the problem!)
Also thanks for the response....Witblits1970....

<BREW>
mobo asus m5a99 x
hdd 2tb seagate
witblits1970
U.E. College Professor
U.E. College Professor

Postby pclinuxguru » Fri May 13, 2011 9:55 pm

Boot to the install screen were you select language and boot options for live. FYI USB keyboard and mouse support needs to be ON in bios for this to work. If bios USB keyboard and mouse support is OFF , it will by default load live.

Hit f6 and select nomodset at the LIVE boot setup screen. (very first screen that shows)

Now select try ubuntu with out installing option.

Now hold shift till grub shows recovery mode.

Select recovery mode and then safe graphics mode.

Boot via safe graphics mode and activate Nvidia proprietary driver via addition drivers in system/administration.
pclinuxguru
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby witblits1970 » Sat May 14, 2011 4:11 am

what happens is with any O/S above 10.04, be it Ubuntu, Ultimate, mint or any of the others with 10.10 or above is that they either hang at the Peter Alvin text screen

guru.. i had a look at the screen when deeds3353 tried to do as you suggest, the dvd spins like it should but all he gets is the VERY FIRST SCREEN where ISOLINUX BLAH BLAH BLAH IS and where the Peter Anvil text is, it setup goes NO FURTHER, so regardless of whether he presses F6 or not he does NOT get any response from the pc. it would be ok if the setup actually progresses further where the setiup would respond to an F6 and give options whereby he could select "nomodset", unfortunately he does not get that privilege.
mobo asus m5a99 x
hdd 2tb seagate
witblits1970
U.E. College Professor
U.E. College Professor

Postby widget » Sat May 14, 2011 11:40 am

The first question is was the md5sum checked on the ISO before it (or they) was burned? What speed were the ISOs in question burned?

That really needs to be checked. They should be burned a slow as possible (4 or under).

That said, with the advent of Plymouth there is hardware out there that will not deal with it.
Dell 480 XPS 3G ram Quad Core 2.40GHz 2x320G HDD, 320G External, Debian Testing and some Ubuntu installs to play with
widget
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Christmas Edition

Postby deeds3353 » Sat May 14, 2011 5:55 pm

OK, First off Thank you all for the help with this problem, I am Witblits1970's friend with the Nvidia Problem.
My card is a Nvidia GT240, My M/Board is a Asus M3A32-MVP/Deluxe WiFi with a Phenom2 3.2 ghzx4 Processor, and 4 gigg of Memory.
All the discs have been burnt at the slowest speed possible to help prevent any errors that way and they work fine on other systems, Even on this one when I put in my ATI X1900 Graphics card.
When I put in my Nvidia GT240 card with ANY O/S (ununtu, mint, gnacktrack or black ubuntu) above 10.04, it will not get past the splash screen with the 4 or 5 dots that go up and along just before the login screen. Thats even if it gets past the screen of text that says LINUX 404 Peter Anvin or something like that, then it crashes.??.

On the 10.10 Ubuntu that loads up to the screen that gives you the Ubuntu in the middle and the dots lighting up going left to right, it gets to the last dot sequence and then where the login screen should kick in , it just crashes and the Graphicsa are sort of shattered or corrupted or just like thousands of pixels.
11.04 does exactly the same and I have a dual boot with windows 7 and sometimes it shows my windows 7 desktop after the ubuntu dots shattered , so I'm at a loss of how to even start to fix it as I cant even get to login and f6 it or anything.....PLEASE HELP SOMEBODY, haha, Its frying my head..........Thank you .
deeds3353 :roll:
deeds3353
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Return to Ultimate Edition 2.9