Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Problems with Installer (SOLVED sort of)

Help and support for Ultimate Edition 2.9

Re: Problems with Installer

Postby rjb3353 » Mon May 09, 2011 5:06 pm

This time I did it via flash drive, I used UNetbootin to create the flash drive. I found the log file that it is talking about, it created it on the flash drives file system at /var/log/syslog do you want me to cut and copy the last portion of the log file from the line where it talks about the error and to the end of the log file and send it to you?

Gúrú Linux ríomhaire wrote:installed via DVD or flash drive ?
rjb3353
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.0 32 BIT

Postby pclinuxguru » Mon May 09, 2011 6:41 pm

I remember having this issue once with a system.

I remember trying to find the WHY for a few hours. In the end I found out that a driver for the GPU was trying to install but failing due to none supported hardware being reported in the jocky log.

Suspect this is what is happening here to.

The only real solution is to find a distro that will fully work.

You could try OZ unity 1.0 ?

Might just be the fit for you.
pclinuxguru is deceased.R.I.P
pclinuxguru
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ubuntu Gusty Gibson

Postby DarkenRyu » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:24 am

The only way I've been able to install Ultimate Edition is on distros that have the option to install inside of Windows. Thus far... the lastest one I know of that I have is 2.1 edition with the umenu file. Do they make that for any later releases? I'd like that for 2.9 edition or 3.0 when it comes out.
DarkenRyu
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 64 BIT

Postby gjringo » Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:41 am

Read through this thread:http://forumubuntusoftware.info/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5774&start=0 for more suggestions on installation problems.
I suspected that my DVD Rom drive was faulty and plugged in a USB external DVD Rom for installing the burnt images from. This in most instances has solved my installation problems.I can burn images successfully on my original DVD drive but sometimes the burnt disc will not install from it, however the same disc will install from the external drive. If I can`t install from disc I try installing the same .iso image from unetbootin.

Post edited: URL link coded by darkchild
"The powers of financial capitalism had [a] far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent private meetings and conferences."
Carroll Quigley, 'Tragedy and Hope'

KUBUNTU : 13.10
OS4 OpenLinux 13.7 KDE
nOS 1.5
Intel P45 Quad 9550 @2.83GHz
Intergrated Audio-Realtek ALC888 4GB DDR2
WD 500GB main drive WD320GB external drive
Nvidia GeForce 9800GT 1024MB
BenQ G2410 HD display Altec Lansing 5.1 sound
2 Cor 13:14
gjringo
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.0 Lite

Postby rjb3353 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:30 pm

gjringo wrote:Read through this thread:http://forumubuntusoftware.info/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5774&start=0 for more suggestions on installation problems.
I suspected that my DVD Rom drive was faulty and plugged in a USB external DVD Rom for installing the burnt images from. This in most instances has solved my installation problems.I can burn images successfully on my original DVD drive but sometimes the burnt disc will not install from it, however the same disc will install from the external drive. If I can`t install from disc I try installing the same .iso image from unetbootin.

Thanks for the suggestions,
However I too have tried all but an external DVD drive as I do not own one, I have tried installing via unetbootin and still no luck. I have tried both Ultimate Edition as well as regular Ubuntu and the newer Ubuntu's will not install either, I suspect that their kernel does not like my hardware, they seem to make some irrational decisions as to what they decide to compile into their custom kernels. Over the years I have constantly had issues with Ubuntu, hardware that worked out of the box no longer would work after putting the latest updated version of Ubuntu. I am sorry but I would rather have a somewhat bloated kernel and from update to the next so that all the previous hardware would continue to work from update to update. This is not the first issue I have had with Ubuntu.

I would like to thank everyone's efforts and suggestions. However I think what is going on is way above our pay grades and we will never be able to solve it on our own. I think the issue lies with the very fast release schedule that Canocal has placed on the developers to get the next update out the door. I would rather that a release not come out until it is truly ready, I could care less if this happens in 6 months, a year or even two years if that is what it takes. I am sure I am not the first one to have major issues with installing Ubuntu with most just moving on to the next distro hoping to find one that actually works. I regretfully have given up on Ubuntu and thus Ultimate Edition, I really liked the broad selection of packages that Ultimate Edition includes with its releases. At the moment I have Mepis Linux installed, everything worked out of the box using the same DVD drive to burn the images as was used for Ultimate Edition and Ubuntu. I will not be using Mepis for long as I do not care for the new KDE.

I have been using Linux off and on for quite a while now, I think my first distro was Suse 6. I have come to the place where I find that using the various distros leaves something to be desired. There always seems to be a deal breaker after living with one for a while. I also want to become more informed about Linux and want to try to learn shell scripting so even though it will involve lots of effort and time on my part I have decided to build a Gentoo system, first on my Dell Precision M6300 laptop and then later on my desktop. I have a few older systems here, I think I have 3 as well as my home theater box that I can put together as a compile farm so that the larger packages will not take so long to compile. My desktop is an i7 with 12 GB of DDR3 ram and my home theater box is a Core2 Quad 2.8 Gz with 8 GB of DDR2 ram, so these will probably be pretty speedy doing compiles along with my laptop that has a Core 2 Duo X7900 at 2.8 Gz with 4 GB of DDR2 ram. I am retired now so I have plenty of time so I figured that I ought to do something constructive with my time.
Thanks once again for your help with this issue.
Robert B.

Post edited: URL link coded by darkchild
rjb3353
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.0 32 BIT

Previous

Return to Ultimate Edition 2.9