Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

GNOME and KDE compiz problems

Help and support for Ultimate Edition 2.9

GNOME and KDE compiz problems

Postby nanoduck » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:58 pm

After having 2.8 Ultimate Edition for a while, I did a clean install of 2.9 and love it so far. I've updated it, and added many things to it like Libre Office, latest Firefox, and also the latest KDE updates. I also added Xscreensavers, although I ended up with two different screensaver utilities on the menu, and have to make sure one is turned off. And Ultimate Edition recognized and configured my Atheros-based wireless network (from TP-LINK), which very few distros do.

I have just about everything running smoothly, except for few annoying things. For one, the mouse cursor in GNOME is still stuck with the default spinning globe. I've tried to change it but it always revert back to the default. I'm sure this issue has been around for some time.

I am unable to change the login wallpaper and theme. I was able to change it in Ubuntu tweak and the GDM login setting, but instead of the wallpaper I selected, I get a black background at login.

I would like to use KDE desktop as well but I encountered some compiz-related problems. When logging into KDE mode, it on Compiz default so there's not much special effects going on. I tried to set it to KWin (from the little Compiz icon at bottom). It works but when I log back into GNOME, there is no menu bar at all.So I have to go back into KDE and change that back in order to use GNOME. I was able to find a workaround by going to System settings > Default Applications > Windows Manager. I select the KWin, and then it gives an error message and tells me it can't use that. However, after that, the animation effects work, and GNOME is fine. But I have to do that every time I log into KDE.
The funny thing is that when I look at System Settings in GNOME, the KWin is default but when I log into KDE, it is not.

Any ideas on how to work around that so that KDE and GNOME can get along?

Keep up the good work!
nanoduck
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Re: GNOME and KDE compiz problems

Postby drewstew » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:02 pm

Are you changing your desktop from System, Administration, Login Screen, or just trying to do it from Compiz? That might be the answer.
Modded Acer Aspire box now with Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 motherboard; AMD FX-6100 6-core CPU; 16gb RAM; 1Tb Seagate SATA HDD; Ultimate Edition 3.5 64bit. Dual booting with Windows7 64bit.
drewstew
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby shagohad » Tue May 03, 2011 11:27 pm

Just installed 2.9 and compiz won't even load. It starts to but before it actually pulls up the window it crashes.
shagohad
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition Beta Tester

Postby witblits1970 » Sun May 08, 2011 3:34 am

shagohad wrote:Just installed 2.9 and compiz won't even load. It starts to but before it actually pulls up the window it crashes.

ref compiz you need to install via synaptic the compiz modules and also the extra effects. once this is done you'll find it'll work but only in the gnome desktop environment. i have tried to get compiz to work in KDE without success. you need to set the visual effects to extra, this can be found in, system,preferences, appearance, select visual effects and select extra from there. failing that look to see if you need to activate additional drivers for your graphics card. my login screen has enlarged but the compiz works a treat, small issue but i can cope with that.
once compiz is working for you , you can edit open, close, minimise effects to your liking at a later point.

enjoy :mrgreen:
mobo asus m5a99 x
ram 16 gig ddr3 @1333mhz kingston
hdd 2tb seagate
cpu 3.9 gig fx 6 core piledriver
witblits1970
U.E. College Professor
U.E. College Professor

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 64 BIT

Return to Ultimate Edition 2.9