Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Fixing Nvidia and ATI graghics problems in Ultimate Edition 2.9

Help and support for Ultimate Edition 2.9

Fixing Nvidia and ATI graghics problems in Ultimate Edition 2.9

Postby pclinuxguru » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:26 pm

Nvidia

Code: Select all
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install nvidia-current nvidia-current-modaliases nvidia-settings

sudo nvidia-xconfig

Use safe graphics mode via recovery mode as needed if your graphics are not working at all.

Single boot, hold down shift as system boots to get grub to show. Select recovery mode and start safe graphics mode if needed to install drivers.

ATI

Activate ATI FGLRX via additional drivers tool system/administration/additional drivers.

Do not restart yet,

Download ATI cat 11.2

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/linux/Pages/radeon_linux.aspx

Once downloaded, right click and select properties / permissions.

Make sure your the owner and have read and write permissions across the board. Make sure executable is selected.

double click and select run

now run
sudo aticonfig --initial
then restart and your done.

Use this as needed to fix your graphics issues in Ultimate Edition 2.8 and Ultimate Edition 2.9.
pclinuxguru is deceased.R.I.P
pclinuxguru
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ubuntu Gusty Gibson

Re: Fixing Nvidia and ATI graghics problems in Ultimate Edit

Postby deno » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:30 am

Hi Guru,

it worked with the ATI drivers but now i have the old problem with loosing the Ultimate Edition boot screen .
I have now a blue KUBUNTU 10.10 :o

Any ideas ?
deno
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Postby pclinuxguru » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:23 am

Try useing startup manager like mentioned.

Check the box to use boot splash

Set res and color depth.

Commonly fixes it. If not scroll the the bottom of this how to in splash screen section to set splash screen up again.

http://screenshotsfrlinux.freeforums.org/how-to-s-ubuntu-ultimate-edition-oz-unity-theming-f54.html
pclinuxguru
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby deno » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:40 am

[quote="Gúrú Linux ríomhaire"]Try useing startup manager like mentioned.

Check the box to use boot splash

------------------------

Yes that was the first thing i did.
But i didn' t change the resolution and color and after doing this now its ok now ! :o

Thanks <BREW>
Last edited by deno on Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
deno
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Postby pclinuxguru » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:48 am

Have a look at that tutorial and site dedicated to theming your os.

Make her yours, custom to fit your needs.
pclinuxguru
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby partialenlightenment » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:07 am

Hi,

I'm using a Radeon HD 6310 & I'm not finding any ATI driver in the System -> Admin -> Additional Drivers area, is it ok to just go with the Catalyst runtime? I'd prefer not to, best to have a proper anchoring in the system, which is one of the reasons why I went for Ultimate Edition, its claimed support for this card. It appeared in the Ubuntu vanilla additional drivers, but then I proceeded in having issues which made me move over to your distro.

It has to be Catalyst 11.2, as this is the only version which supports this new chip, which is on an AMD Fusion board, Asus E35M1. This is a lovely chipset for a media server, and I'm sure is going to be a very popular choice for XBMC/Ubuntu installs, I would very much like to do a write up/create debs, for this setup, to easy the installation for others, as I've spent five solid days on it & I've only really got the wireless working! Oh, and a lovely custom kernel, thanks to the help of this forum :)

Sorry, no command outputs, as I'm not in front of the machine at the moment. But from what I can tell, it's using the default Ubuntu drivers, no acceleration, 2D or 3D, windows tear all over the place, etc.

Thanks!
nx

EDIT: It has to be the closed source driver, as I need hardware video acceleration, that CPU can't quite hand 1080p on its own, and we're making a media centre, so it's kinda important :)
partialenlightenment
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby pclinuxguru » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:11 am

Just follow the listed steps in installing cat 11.2 from this thread.

Problem solved.
pclinuxguru
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby dathem » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:16 pm

Hello, Gúrú Linux ríomhaire I used safe graphics mode to install the Ati driver and ATI cat 11.2 as per instructions and rebooted. On my HPE-500F a 6 core @ 2.70 Ghz, with 8 gigs of Ram and a 1.5 T HD
the graphics card is an AMD Radeon HD 6450 with 512 MB DDR3 dedicated memory. at the desktop I get in the bottom right of my screen an AMD Unsupported hardware message. I am also unable to get compiz to work, I get the error message that the desktop effects can not be enabled.

My next step would be to follow your instructions to upgrade the Kernel to the stable Candelabra. Should I still do that step or what? dathem
1)HPE-500F a 6 core @ 2.70 Ghz, with 8 gigs of Ram and a 1.5 T HD
the graphics card is an AMD Radeon HD 6450 with 512 MB DDR3 Ultimate Edition 3.2, Windows 7
2) HP Pav Elite m9040n Core2 quad 4gig ram Nvidia Geforce 8400, 640 g hd Win.7, UBUNTU 10.10
3) Gateway FX4710-UB0031 Core 2 quad 6 g ram Nvidia 8600gt-1gigddr3, 640g hd & Windows 7, & PCT Destined
Registered Linux User 533601
dathem
U.E. Master
U.E. Master

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.7 32 BIT

Postby pclinuxguru » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:22 pm

Extract the control file from the cat 11.2 and replace yours in etc/ati (this is the traditional fix)

Remember, drivers can only build if the right headers are installed, or you wont get FGLRX . Kernel headers cant build.

If that don't work, we need to find a newer driver then.

I heard a rumor 11.4 beta was available for linux.

Mean time, Ill look into other options.

Pi**es me off Linux development is so slow from ATI & even worse for nvidia.
pclinuxguru
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby dathem » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:28 pm

Hello,

you mentioned Extract the control file from the cat 11.2 and replace yours in etc/ati (this is the traditional fix)

I have no clue how to Extract the control file...................dathem

Gúrú Linux ríomhaire wrote:Extract the control file from the cat 11.2 and replace yours in etc/ati (this is the traditional fix)

Remember, drivers can only build if the right headers are installed, or you wont get FGLRX . Kernel headers cant build.

If that don't work, we need to find a newer driver then.

I heard a rumor 11.4 beta was available for linux.

Mean time, Ill look into other options.

Pi**es me off Linux development is so slow from ATI & even worse for nvidia.
1)HPE-500F a 6 core @ 2.70 Ghz, with 8 gigs of Ram and a 1.5 T HD
the graphics card is an AMD Radeon HD 6450 with 512 MB DDR3 Ultimate Edition 3.2, Windows 7
2) HP Pav Elite m9040n Core2 quad 4gig ram Nvidia Geforce 8400, 640 g hd Win.7, UBUNTU 10.10
3) Gateway FX4710-UB0031 Core 2 quad 6 g ram Nvidia 8600gt-1gigddr3, 640g hd & Windows 7, & PCT Destined
Registered Linux User 533601
dathem
U.E. Master
U.E. Master

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.7 32 BIT

Next

Return to Ultimate Edition 2.9