Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

After installation - no graphics

Help and support for Ultimate Edition 2.9

After installation - no graphics

Postby himpelr » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:51 pm

It took several tries to install 2.9 on my X86_64 machine with an Nvidia 7200GS graphics card. Finally, the live DVD came up and I installed Ultimate Edition 2.9 without any problems, or so it seemed at first. When the installation was finished and it said to reboot, I rebooted. After halting, the screen went black, a cursor appeared in the upper left corner and that was as far as I got. I tried shutting the computer off and restarting several times but the system never got past that initial cursor.

I have had problems installed other versions of Ubuntu, Linuxmint, Debian, Open SUSE, etc. but I have got Linuxmint 9 32-bit installed (x86_64 wouldn't install), Open Solaris 64-bit installed, and even Windows XP. I'm thinking that for some reason my video board is not recognized by some Linux's. Is there any way to get Ultimate Edition to show up on the screen.
By the way, my monitor is a flat screen capable of 1920x1200.

Thanks in advance.
himpelr
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Re: After installation - no graphics

Postby pclinuxguru » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:13 pm

is it installed now ?

Boot to safe graphics mode via recovery and activate the 173 nvidia graphics.
pclinuxguru is deceased.R.I.P
pclinuxguru
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ubuntu Gusty Gibson

Postby dathem » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:03 pm

himpelr wrote:It took several tries to install 2.9 on my X86_64 machine with an Nvidia 7200GS graphics card. Finally, the live DVD came up and I installed Ultimate Edition 2.9 without any problems, or so it seemed at first. When the installation was finished and it said to reboot, I rebooted. After halting, the screen went black, a cursor appeared in the upper left corner and that was as far as I got. I tried shutting the computer off and restarting several times but the system never got past that initial cursor.

I have had problems installed other versions of Ubuntu, Linuxmint, Debian, Open SUSE, etc. but I have got Linuxmint 9 32-bit installed (x86_64 wouldn't install), Open Solaris 64-bit installed, and even Windows XP. I'm thinking that for some reason my video board is not recognized by some Linux's. Is there any way to get Ultimate Edition to show up on the screen.
By the way, my monitor is a flat screen capable of 1920x1200.

Thanks in advance.

Hello, it is possible that your monitor is part of the problem, if it only has a few possible display Resolutions. I have had a problem with a monitor before, it couldn't show the low Res needed for the "live DVD's, just got a black screen. I tried hooking up an old CRT monitor and the desktop was there all the time...If you have one sitting around or pick up a free one at a yard sale to try out. dathem
1)HPE-500F a 6 core @ 2.70 Ghz, with 8 gigs of Ram and a 1.5 T HD
the graphics card is an AMD Radeon HD 6450 with 512 MB DDR3 Ultimate Edition 3.2, Windows 7
2) HP Pav Elite m9040n Core2 quad 4gig ram Nvidia Geforce 8400, 640 g hd Win.7, UBUNTU 10.10
3) Gateway FX4710-UB0031 Core 2 quad 6 g ram Nvidia 8600gt-1gigddr3, 640g hd & Windows 7, & PCT Destined
Registered Linux User 533601
dathem
U.E. Master
U.E. Master

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.7 32 BIT

Postby himpelr » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:55 am

The monitor is capable of 1024x768, 1280x1024, 1600x1200 among others. For example, OpenSUSE installs but the best resolution I can get from it is 1280x1024. Nvidia drivers won't install on SUSE because it says that the libraries and compiler do not match. I have tried several video boards but they all work the same. All boards were capable of 1920x1200. Open Solaris recognizes the video board and monitor immediately and installed at 1920x1200. Windows XP allowed me to choose 1920x1200 with no problem after installation. Linuxmint 9 required the Nvidia driver to be installed and displays now at 1920x1200. Ultimate Edition also installed at 1920x1200 from the live DVD so something in the live DVD allowed it to recognize the video board and monitor correctly but the hardware configuration process during installation does not.

Generally, trying to install most versions of Linux it will boot up to text mode with the following errors after issueing the startx command: (There's more messages but these are the important ones)

Primary device is not PCI
(EE) open /dev/fb0: No such file or directory
(EE) No devices detected.
Fatal server error:
no screens found
xinit: No such file or directory (errno 2): unable to connect to X server
xinit: No such process (errno 3): Server error
I then get back to the prompt and can issue commands.

I have a 32-bit desktop running Ultimate Edition 2.9 and it installed at 1920x1200 using the same monitor (both computers are connected to the same monitor and I can switch between the two). The 32-bit is connected via VGA and the 64-bit is HDMI. I have switched the connections with no difference.
himpelr
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby pclinuxguru » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:26 am

Installed via your 7200 gs and 8400 gs several times.

Once installed, boot via safe graphics mode, install required proprietary drivers via drivers tool. Be sure to configure x before restart. Both ATI and nvidia tell ya what command to run. Be sure to use vga, for safe graphics mode.

Or it won't work.

Works everyvtime
pclinuxguru
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby himpelr » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:00 am

I tried to reinstall Ultimate Edition 2.9 x86_64. No matter what options I was able to choose from the menu it would not boot up to graphics. I then tried to install SUSE Linux starting at revision 8, then 9, then 10, and finally upgrading to 10.3. All of them worked booting up to graphics and not installation problems. I did not achieve 1920x1200 resolution but at least I go 1280x1024. I guess the real question is: What is it that SUSE and even OpenSolaris and windows XP does (even better than SUSE) that recognizes the graphics card and monitor while all the Debian based Linux's does not recognize?

All the detailed installation instructions given cannot be implimented if the computer cannot even boot up into any graphics mode and NVidia drivers will no install onto the computer is it doesn't see a graphics card.

I like Ultimate Edition on my i586 computer and I was hoping that I could get it to run on my x86_64 but it looks like that won't happen until something in the kernel gets changed or fixed in the iso image.
himpelr
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby pclinuxguru » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:18 am

Installed with your graphics card before.

Your telling my you loaded up recovery mode and selected safe graphics mode.

Then activated nvidia graphics via additional drivers ?

Sorry chief, but I know all to well I could Install it all day long with your graphics. If your serious about wanting it working, then we can help ya make that happen easy enough.

Also, going to point out the rather oblivious here, the suse you have tried uses a much older kernel.

Your 7200 GS, a entry level business class GPU is 3 years old tech. Your trying to install a state of the art os on 3 year old tech. This isn't always a very good idea.

I recommend you try Ultimate Edition 2.7 or OZ unity.
pclinuxguru
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby pclinuxguru » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:20 pm

To get to safe graphics mode.

If a dual boot, just select recovery mode and then safe graphics mode.

IF single boot, grub is hidden at boot, Hold shift down as you post bios to get grub to show up.

Then just do the same.
pclinuxguru
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby drewstew » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:21 pm

Guru - Excuse an intervention from someone with who's still on the foothills of working with Linux, but might the command startx at the blinking cursor kick it into life? It's worked for me before when I've experienced similar.
Added By the way, my system is definitely older, and probably inferior, with no mods, but it rocks with the 64bit
version of Ultimate Edition
Modded Acer Aspire box now with Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 motherboard; AMD FX-6100 6-core CPU; 16gb RAM; 1Tb Seagate SATA HDD; Ultimate Edition 3.5 64bit. Dual booting with Windows7 64bit.
drewstew
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Postby pclinuxguru » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:35 pm

Not sure, never use it but once.
pclinuxguru
U.E. God
U.E. God