Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Mounting Trouble

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 2.6

Mounting Trouble

Postby Wildlinux » Thu May 13, 2010 3:40 am

Hello to all the Ultimate Edition users in the on here i am a newbie & am looking for help . I have a usb drive partitioned & i am having trouble unmounting it.,when i press safely remove drive it says it is busy.I was able to unmount one at a time in 2. 5 but not now in 2.6 so what is wrong. :)
Last edited by Blackwolf on Thu May 13, 2010 5:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Young members view this topic also. Removed imagea as not required.
Wildlinux
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 64 BIT

Re: Mounting Trouble

Postby Wildlinux » Thu May 13, 2010 3:50 am

Sorry a bit more info maxtor drive 1&2 is the partitioned drive storage 1 is another usb drive which will mount & unmount & win7 is my main drive with Ultimate Edition Which is giving the same trouble.
Wildlinux
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby Admin-Amir » Thu May 13, 2010 4:36 am

Hello Wildlinux.

Please install from synaptic this packages:
USB mount
Mount manager
Admin-Amir

Postby Wildlinux » Thu May 13, 2010 2:50 pm

Thanks for the suggestion but it did not work i did as you said & added usb mount through synaptic package manger . I also added Disk mounter To top Panel with no affect.[http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/4340/screenshot1t.png]
Wildlinux
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby dathem » Fri May 14, 2010 1:35 pm

Wildlinux wrote:Thanks for the suggestion but it did not work i did as you said & added usb mount through synaptic package manger . I also added Disk mounter To top Panel with no affect.[imhttp://img237.imageshack.us/img237/4340/screenshot1t.pngg]

Hello Wildlinux, I am unable to see you posted image link, get a 404 error.
1)HPE-500F a 6 core @ 2.70 Ghz, with 8 gigs of Ram and a 1.5 T HD
the graphics card is an AMD Radeon HD 6450 with 512 MB DDR3 Ultimate Edition 3.2, Windows 7
2) HP Pav Elite m9040n Core2 quad 4gig ram Nvidia Geforce 8400, 640 g hd Win.7, UBUNTU 10.10
3) Gateway FX4710-UB0031 Core 2 quad 6 g ram Nvidia 8600gt-1gigddr3, 640g hd & Windows 7, & PCT Destined
Registered Linux User 533601
dathem
U.E. Master
U.E. Master

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.7 32 BIT

Postby bpollen » Fri May 14, 2010 11:03 pm

I ran across a problem that is at least superficially similar...

Here is the quote from Andrei (Andrew) on Webupd8:

It seems there's a bug in Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx which affects USB devices which do not automount when plugged-in meaning the device isn't displayed on the desktop and also doesn't show up in Nautilus.

I upgraded to Lucid a long time ago and this bug wasn't occurring but today when trying to plug in an USB device (I actually tried several devices - a music player and several USB memory sticks) they simply won't automount.

After some research it seems this is caused (weird, I know...) by the BIOS "Legacy Floppy" setting being enabled (it seems it's related to this). So to fix it, all I had to do is restart the computer and next to the "Floppy" setting in the BIOS I selected "Disabled" instead of "Legacy Floppy" - problem solved, as soon as Ubuntu booted, automount was working again and my USB devices were showing up in Nautilus again.

Hopefully this will help those of you having the same issue as I did.

Don't know if it helps, but another possible fix in any event.

P.S.: I fixed the URL for the screenshot you listed above. :mrgreen:
44.934157796653814, -93.22175949811935
bpollen

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby kRu_ZaDeR » Sun May 16, 2010 8:36 am

Seems like this a Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx problem. I have this same glitch on my Ubuntu Lucid
on my other usb hard disk partition and my Ultimate 2.6 on another usb hard disk partition.
Anyways I tried to follow the solutions offered here i.e. install usb mount, disable legacy floppy which
I don't even have in my BIOS. Unfortunately no dice. Just a sad state of affairs for the new edition.
kRu_ZaDeR
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Postby Admin-Amir » Sun May 16, 2010 9:08 am

PPL - Let me go around here with this issue.
1- Did you have let your User permission from System=>Administration=>User&Groups?
2- Here are the packages that has to be install on your system:

Selection_001.png

Selection_002.png

Selection_003.png

Selection_004.png
Selection_004.png (5.38 KiB) Viewed 5154 times

Selection_005.png

Selection_006.png
Selection_006.png (5.95 KiB) Viewed 5154 times

Now please see if it solved you problem.
Thank you.
Admin-Amir

Postby kRu_ZaDeR » Sun May 16, 2010 9:19 pm

Hello Gents, looks like I solved this problem with a little digging by modifying some
system settings. I have restored the 'Umount' property in the Context Menus instead
of the 'Safely Remove' for USB Hard Disks with numerous partitions. Here's how I
went about doing it:

1. On top menu bar goto System --> Preferences --> System Settings
2. A Systems Settings Window will pop-up
3. On the Systems Settings Window click on the 'Advanced' Tab (the other one is 'General')
4. On the section 'Advance User Settings' look for 'Removable Devices' and click on it
5. This will take you to Removable Devices - System Settings Window.
6. Click 'Enable automatic mounting of removable media'

And that's all I did. Below these settings you will find more options to tweak it to your liking.
Wallah the 'Umount' property in the Right-click context menu is now visible!

Enjoy!

P.S. These maybe a KDE application and you have to install KUbuntu or KDE via Ultimatix.
kRu_ZaDeR
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Postby 2hot6ft2 » Mon May 17, 2010 12:52 am

Thank you kRu_ZaDeR for sharing how you fixed the issue so that others will be able to fix it as well.
And you are correct it is part of KDE 4 but it can be installed by itself with
Code: Select all
sudo apt-get install systemsettings

It requires no additional packages in 2.6. Synaptic info. for it shown below.
KDE 4 System Settings

System Settings is an improved user interface for configuring the desktop
and other aspects of the system.

This package is part of the KDE 4 base workspace module.

Nice find
<BREW>
HP G60-125NR - AMD Turion X2 64 - nVidia GeForce 8200M G - 128 GB SSD Dual boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro
HP G60-121WM - AMD Sempron SI-40 - nVidia GeForce 8200M G - 128 GB SSD - Dual boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro
Custom build, Rosewill Challenger ATX Gaming Case, AMD Phenom II x4 955 C3 rev., MSI 870A-G54, 2x ATI HD4850 512MB /256bit GDDR3 & dual precision, GSkill 8GB 1600 RAM - Multi boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro, Beta Testing
2hot6ft2

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Return to Ultimate Edition 2.6 (Including 2.6.5)