Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Intel Video Card issues post here please.

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 2.6

Postby Admin-Amir » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:50 am

Hello to you all.

Admin-Amir

Re: Intel Video Card issues post here please.

Postby yendor » Fri May 21, 2010 5:33 am

Hello all, and first I want to thank everyone who has/had a hand in this OS for it is so cool and fast!
So to get to my problem when I boot/reboot it always displays a warning! (which reads the following:
"Ubuntu is running in low graphics mode.
(EE) intel(0) (drm) failed to set drm interface
"............ failed to become DRM master
"............ failed to get resources: bad file discriptor
"............kernal mode setting setup failed
"........... screens found but none have a usable configuration."

Please know I'm not a power user by any stretch of the imagination, and every thing I've done on computers is self learned so be gentle with me...lol.
My system is a Dell 1750 with due cor intel. 4 gigs ram @ 400mhz. Monitor: Generic PnP @ 1600x900
Mobil intel 4 series express chip set family.

If there is any way you could help I would really like that of course, yet there are a few other issues yet I'll get to those in time yet trying to fix things as I go. I really like this OS and switched from Win 7.
Thanks for your time, and a great OS. Yendor
yendor
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby gj1006 » Fri May 21, 2010 4:08 pm

Hello yendor and Welcome to the Ultimate Edition Forums.

Please give us more Information about your OS.
Do you use a 32Bit or 64Bit System?
Which Kernel?
Do you run some non-free drivers?
Sometimes (e.g at my PC on 2.4) Ultimate Edition starts 2 X-servers (X-Server=Graphical Environtment)
Chek, if any other X-Server is running (e.g. one only with the Warning, but the other with the Login Window.

So please give us more Information, so we can help you.
gj1006
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 32 BIT

Postby yendor » Sat May 22, 2010 2:14 pm

Thank you gj1006 for the response so quickly, and as far as your questions I shall have to do some digging to find out so may take me a day or two. This computer thing is new to me, yet am way impressed with this OS...WOW!
Thanks again~Yendor
yendor
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby Admin-Amir » Sun May 23, 2010 1:37 am

Hello yendor & welcome to the U.E Forum.

To get your Intel Video Card to be Update/Upgrade , Open Ubuntu Tweak And Add the source that I mark for you.
After you have add the source by mark the box=>Refresh Down right ,Close the Ubuntu Tweak,
Open terminal = > and make Update/Upgrade with this commands:

Code: Select all
sudo apt-get update

Code: Select all
sudo apt-get upgrade

After you have Update/Upgrade the system - Restart your machine.
When you will be back to your Desktop the go again to the terminal and make the Update/Upgrade once more.

This will fix your Driver issue.
Do not look for the Driver under the Hardware Drivers - Intel Drivers will not be there!
Intel Update/Upgrade under the system Terminal process ,not from the tools of the system.
Hope you have the info the you need now.

Good Luck.
Admin-Amir

Postby yendor » Mon May 24, 2010 5:51 pm

Hello Admin-Amir, thanks for the quick reply.
I have a question about your directions: would you be so kind as to explain the underlined parts?
Also I get a warning saying; "This Feature isn't Currently Available in Your Distribution", plus the software is unfamiliar to me. Quote.."Open Ubuntu Tweak And Add the source that I mark for you.
After you have add the source by mark the box=>Refresh Down right ,Close the Ubuntu Tweak,"
I think I can follow the other directions OK, and thank you again. ~Yendor

System Info: Dell Inspiron 1750 wide screen Laptop
Gnome 2.30.0 (Ubuntu 10.04 (lucid)
OS type Linux
Hard Drive 280 GB
GCC vesion 4.4.3 (x86_64-linux-gnu)
Intel(R) Core(TheeMahn) Duo CPU T6600 @ 2.20GHz
Frequency 1200.000 MHz
L2 cache 2048
Memory 3924MB Swap 13457MB
yendor
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby Admin-Amir » Mon May 24, 2010 6:02 pm

Hello yendor .

Hello Admin-Amir, thanks for the quick reply.
I have a question about your directions: would you be so kind as to explain the underlined parts?
Also I get a warning saying; "This Feature isn't Currently Available in Your Distribution", plus the software is unfamiliar to me. Quote.."Open Ubuntu Tweak And Add the source that I mark for you.
After you have add the source by mark the box=>Refresh Down right ,Close the Ubuntu Tweak,"
I think I can follow the other directions OK, and thank you again. ~Yendor

You welcome - and thank you.
now about what I have try to tell you - please look on the images:

Selection_001.png

Selection_002.png

one last thing for you,please use the Upgrade Guide that I have post here on the forum,
This will get the Drivers to work for you and it will end your issues.

The Guide:
viewtopic.php?f=68&t=4821
Admin-Amir

Postby yendor » Mon May 31, 2010 6:56 pm

Hello Admin-Amir, thanks again for the quick response.
This is what I have found out so far about whats on my hard drive. I retrieved this info from the following program: Sysinfo. I finally figured out that I had to update my Ubuntu-tweak to get it to work, and was able to install your suggested updates...thank you.
So far I can not locate the correct package on you link to kernel info i.e. "headers" and "images" please inform me as to what I am missing in this picture and remember be gentle for I'm a virgin...lol.
Have a great day~Yendor

Release: Ubuntu 10.04 (lucid)
Kernel: 2.6.32-22-generic (#33-Ubuntu SMP Wed Apr 28 13:28:05 UTC 2010)
GCC version: 4.4.3 (x86_64-linux-gnu)

PS: Your images for using Ubuntu Tweak were of immense help, thank you very much.
yendor
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby 2hot6ft2 » Mon May 31, 2010 9:49 pm

Hi yendor,

These are the 3 you want for the 64 bit from Admin-Amir's kernel page.
In the order you install them:

1st linux-headers-2.6.34-020634_2.6.34-020634_all.deb

2nd linux-headers-2.6.34-020634-generic_2.6.34-020634_amd64.deb

3rd linux-image-2.6.34-020634-generic_2.6.34-020634_amd64.deb

Just be sure to install them in order. There may be a delay of a few second on your next boot it's normal.
<BREW>
HP G60-125NR - AMD Turion X2 64 - nVidia GeForce 8200M G - 128 GB SSD Dual boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro
HP G60-121WM - AMD Sempron SI-40 - nVidia GeForce 8200M G - 128 GB SSD - Dual boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro
Custom build, Rosewill Challenger ATX Gaming Case, AMD Phenom II x4 955 C3 rev., MSI 870A-G54, 2x ATI HD4850 512MB /256bit GDDR3 & dual precision, GSkill 8GB 1600 RAM - Multi boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro, Beta Testing
2hot6ft2

Postby yendor » Mon May 31, 2010 10:38 pm

2Hot6ft2; thanks for the fast reply.
I followed the dirrections installed all 3, every thing was going well until I hit the last one and received this message:
"Linux kernel image for version 2.6.34 on x86/x86_64
This package contains the Linux kernel image for version 2.6.34 on x86/x86_64.
Also includes the corresponding System.map file, the modules built by the packager, and scripts that try to ensure that the system is not left in an unbootable state after an update.
Supports Generic processors.
Geared toward desktop systems.
You likely do not want to install this package directly. Instead, install the linux-generic meta-package, which will ensure that upgrades work correctly, and that supporting packages are also installed."

Question: where would I find this: Instead, install the linux-generic meta-package and will it effect the first two instillations 1 & 2?
Thank you for all the help, oh ya be gentle for I'm a virgin.~Yendor
yendor
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Next

Return to Ultimate Edition 2.6 (Including 2.6.5)