Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Installation issues post here please.

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 2.6

Re: Installation issues post here please.

Postby Gorki Z Kaprem » Fri May 14, 2010 8:53 pm

I tried installing Ultimate Linux on my Acer Aspire 9410-2079 laptop. I had UBUNTU 10.04 Lucid Lynx installed, but thought all the extras on Ultimate made it appealing. It installed right over UBUNTU with little effort. I'm still trying to figure out how to get my Broadcom wireless card to find my FIOS signal, so I can access the internet. I've Googled a lot of UBUNTU specific instructions, but I guess I'm missing something. A project still in the works.
I next tried installing it on my DELL Optiplex 745 with Hitachi HDS72161 160 GB Ata hard disk. However, when I got to where I wanted to designate the partition to install Ultimate Linux, I got a notice that there was no operating system on the drive.
At present I have two partitions on the drive, the primary having Windows XP, the secondary having UBUNTU 10.04, with the GRUB boot loader.
When I am on the live DVD, I can access both partitions. So, it appears that for some unknown reason the installation program can't see them.
Now, I absolutely love the way this installation program was able to let me install Linux Ultimate, overwriting UBUNTU 10.04 on its partiton. on my laptop, a 32 bit system. I hope there's a fix or update to the installation program, so I can try it on my desktop.
I thought at first my problem was that I was trying Ultimate Linux's 32 bit version, but when I got and tried the 64 bit, the same problem. I checked the hash totals of my downloaded file against those listed on the Ultimate Linux site, and they match.
Incidentally, the 64 bit link on your home page DOES NOT link to the Ultimate Linux 64 bit version, but to the 32 bit. I had to go to a mirror site and find a link to the 64 bit one. :twisted:
Gorki Z Kaprem
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 1.5

Postby 2hot6ft2 » Fri May 14, 2010 9:27 pm

Welcome to the forum and to Ultimate Edition Gorki Z Kaprem,

There's a bug in the ubiquity installer that is well known for the problem of not seeing the other systems it's not a Ultimate Edition problem but a problem with ubiquity. It affects ubuntu as well.
Wrong message "no operating system" in graphical installer

Try selecting Manual and clicking Forward to load the manual partitioner. It sounds like you have some experience and should have no problem using it.

or
System > Administration > Install RELEASE
It's Ubiquity as well but I haven't heard of anyone having the problem going at it that route. Beats me why, I guess it's because nobody knows it's there.
Gorki Z Kaprem wrote:Incidentally, the 64 bit link on your home page DOES NOT link to the Ultimate Linux 64 bit version, but to the 32 bit. I had to go to a mirror site and find a link to the 64 bit one. :twisted:

I'll look into that as I'm sure others will. Thank you for letting us know, I found the link that you did and an Admin will fix that asap.
;)
HP G60-125NR - AMD Turion X2 64 - nVidia GeForce 8200M G - 128 GB SSD Dual boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro
HP G60-121WM - AMD Sempron SI-40 - nVidia GeForce 8200M G - 128 GB SSD - Dual boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro
Custom build, Rosewill Challenger ATX Gaming Case, AMD Phenom II x4 955 C3 rev., MSI 870A-G54, 2x ATI HD4850 512MB /256bit GDDR3 & dual precision, GSkill 8GB 1600 RAM - Multi boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro, Beta Testing
2hot6ft2

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Re: a bug in the ubiquity installer

Postby Gorki Z Kaprem » Sat May 15, 2010 8:53 pm

I tried both selecting Manual and clicking Forward; and System > Administration > Install RELEASE. Still got the samer error.
My Linux 10.04 install is a little flaky, since I did Upgrade vs fresh install. And, I upgraded when 10.04 was at the Beta stage. I would think that was the prob, if I couldn't "see" the Windows XP and Ubuntu partitions when running Ultimate in live mode. I am running from a usb flash drive stick, with the ISO "installed" using UNETBOOTIN. Unless that "shook up" Ubiquity somehow. I could try burning the ISO to a DVD disk, if you think that would make any difference.
Gorki Z Kaprem
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 1.5

Re: a bug in the ubiquity installer

Postby 2hot6ft2 » Sat May 15, 2010 9:24 pm

Gorki Z Kaprem wrote:I tried both selecting Manual and clicking Forward; and System > Administration > Install RELEASE. Still got the samer error.
My Linux 10.04 install is a little flaky, since I did Upgrade vs fresh install. And, I upgraded when 10.04 was at the Beta stage. I would think that was the prob, if I couldn't "see" the Windows XP and Ubuntu partitions when running Ultimate in live mode. I am running from a usb flash drive stick, with the ISO "installed" using UNETBOOTIN. Unless that "shook up" Ubiquity somehow. I could try burning the ISO to a DVD disk, if you think that would make any difference.

I don't know if it will help or not. The bug is one of those hit and miss type of things where you don't know when it will rear its ugly head. 2.6 is definitely worth giving it a shot. If you already know where you plan on installing it (the partition) you might also try deleting the partition in gparted and then try installing and recreating the partition in the installer, but there's no guarantee so you might delete a working OS in that case.
I'm not aware of a fix for it right now. :(
HP G60-125NR - AMD Turion X2 64 - nVidia GeForce 8200M G - 128 GB SSD Dual boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro
HP G60-121WM - AMD Sempron SI-40 - nVidia GeForce 8200M G - 128 GB SSD - Dual boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro
Custom build, Rosewill Challenger ATX Gaming Case, AMD Phenom II x4 955 C3 rev., MSI 870A-G54, 2x ATI HD4850 512MB /256bit GDDR3 & dual precision, GSkill 8GB 1600 RAM - Multi boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro, Beta Testing
2hot6ft2

Postby Admin-Amir » Sat May 15, 2010 9:41 pm

Hello Gorki Z Kaprem & welcome to U.E Forum.

I tried installing Ultimate Linux on my Acer Aspire 9410-2079 laptop. I had UBUNTU 10.04 Lucid Lynx installed, but thought all the extras on Ultimate made it appealing. It installed right over UBUNTU with little effort. I'm still trying to figure out how to get my Broadcom wireless card to find my FIOS signal, so I can access the internet. I've Googled a lot of UBUNTU specific instructions, but I guess I'm missing something. A project still in the works.
I next tried installing it on my DELL Optiplex 745 with Hitachi HDS72161 160 GB Ata hard disk. However, when I got to where I wanted to designate the partition to install Ultimate Linux, I got a notice that there was no operating system on the drive.
At present I have two partitions on the drive, the primary having Windows XP, the secondary having UBUNTU 10.04, with the GRUB boot loader.
When I am on the live DVD, I can access both partitions. So, it appears that for some unknown reason the installation program can't see them.
Now, I absolutely love the way this installation program was able to let me install Linux Ultimate, overwriting UBUNTU 10.04 on its partiton. on my laptop, a 32 bit system. I hope there's a fix or update to the installation program, so I can try it on my desktop.
I thought at first my problem was that I was trying Ultimate Linux's 32 bit version, but when I got and tried the 64 bit, the same problem. I checked the hash totals of my downloaded file against those listed on the Ultimate Linux site, and they match.
Incidentally, the 64 bit link on your home page DOES NOT link to the Ultimate Linux 64 bit version, but to the 32 bit. I had to go to a mirror site and find a link to the 64 bit one. :twisted:

1- All your issues with the installation come from the Acer Image that you have on your HDD.
As Default Acer machines come with ISO Image HFS on your HDD.
2-
Broadcom wireless

you can see that I have post the issue with this card at this point of time (Under bugs fix).
you can connect your Network with wireless with no problem to the Hidden Network.
To do that - Log in to the modem/router - Go to wireless - add your Network Name+pass,
and give the options of WPA/WPA2 personal - save and EXIT.
Then connect from the Network icon ( right top bar ) - To Hidden Network ( see the post here in the forum).
3- About the MS Issues - well you can install MS in the VBox After you have the U.E on your HDD.
It will work Faster and it will not make all the issues that you have mention in your post.
4- Use Parted Magic for the partition creation work fine all the way.

Now for the second post of your's here:

I tried both selecting Manual and clicking Forward; and System > Administration > Install RELEASE. Still got the samer error.

To Fix the Mbr that you will see the MS USE the command with the MS CD (looks for post on this issue in the search) :
Code: Select all
fixmbr

This will Rewrite your MBR, and you will see your MS back.

Now the solution - If you have burn the MS from Acer in Advanced on DVD (with Acer tools),
Then you have nothing to worry about.
Use Parted Magic to format your HDD for Fresh install (After you have burn U.E on DVD not from MS burn option),
Use 3 party software Like Nero to Burn the ISO to DVD.
Just make sure to Burn on the lowest speed.
After you have it all done , Just format your HDD to UN ALLOCATED and Apply.
Then you can install U.E with no problem at all , After that the work with UNETBOOTIN on U.E will be like Game.
Hope I have cover the solution for you and the issues more clear now for you.

Good Luck to you.
Admin-Amir

Postby bleytrin » Mon May 17, 2010 2:34 am

HI, I installed UE-2.6 x64 on a new WD500gb green drive , cpu Icore2duo e4300. This is the new 4k sector drive series.
Ultimate Edition did it's default whole disk install. The system is running very nice and fast.
I just want to confirm that the install went to a 4k sector size?

My old ubuntu 8.04 (160gb drive p4-1.8mhz) /dev/sda1 start sector 63.
My new UE-2.6 (500gb drive e4300 mhz) /dev/sda1 start sector 2048. I do get this warning, partition 1 does not end on a cylinder boundry.
Is this ok , & warning should be ignored?

Thanks
bleytrin
bleytrin
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby SEPEHR » Fri May 21, 2010 12:09 pm

Hi

I am trying to install Ultimate Edition 2.6 and installation kinda hangs : i can write in console but the installation does't continue
the last lines of install log are:

Authentication failure ( many times )
[ 77.077426] SQUASHFS error : zlib_inflate error , data probably corrupt
[ 77.078205] SQUASHFS error : squashfs_read_data failed to read block 0x812c8e8a
[ 77.141036] SQUASHFS error : Unable to read fragment cache entry [812c8e8a]
[ 77.351814] SQUASHFS error : Unable to read page, block 812c8e8a,size 7927
[ 77.373357] SQUASHFS error : Unable to read fragment cache entry [812c8e8a]
[ 77.812615] SQUASHFS error : Unable to read page, block 812c8e8a,size 7927
[ 77.831729] SQUASHFS error : Unable to read fragment cache entry [812c8e8a]

I don't khnow its related but i tried to install ubuntu 10.04 and during installation loading crashes ; I read the log it says : kernel Panic . Coudn't install that either.

I am using WMware workstation 7 on a win 7 64-bit . ( successfuly installed Virurtal xp with no problem )
CPU :AMD Phemom 2 X4 955
Ram : 2 x 2 gb geil ddr3
Motherboard : Asus m4a79t Deluxe
GPU : HD 5870
SEPEHR
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 1.6 Gamers

Postby billhedrick » Fri May 21, 2010 2:31 pm

sounds like a bad DVD burn or download.
billhedrick
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Postby mahdif62 » Sat May 22, 2010 9:15 am

I have a strange problem. I downloaded the ISO and checked the md5 sum and it was OK. Then I burned it on DVD with low speed. When I try to install to HDD the progress bar goes beyond %100. As I read on the forum that's normal and you should wait for it to finish. However the installation aborts saying that you must try to install in a cooler environment or something like that. I tried it on two PCs and the result was the same.
mahdif62
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Postby 2hot6ft2 » Sat May 22, 2010 2:46 pm

mahdif62 wrote:I have a strange problem. I downloaded the ISO and checked the md5 sum and it was OK. Then I burned it on DVD with low speed. When I try to install to HDD the progress bar goes beyond %100. As I read on the forum that's normal and you should wait for it to finish. However the installation aborts saying that you must try to install in a cooler environment or something like that. I tried it on two PCs and the result was the same.

Hi mahdif62, and welcome to the forum.

I have never heard of such a message before. Could you give the exact message if it happens again?
Unless your pc temps. are nearing critical I don't know of any reason for a message like that. You could install lm-sensors and add the sensors applet to the top panel so you could monitor the temps. while installing to see if that's the case.

This would only be for while using the livedvd and would not be on the installed system or be there after a reboot (unless you installed them again) but if you want to add them to monitor the temps. here's how to do it.

Just open a Terminal (Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal) and type (or copy and paste):

sudo apt-get install lm-sensors sensors-applet

Next, run sensors-detect. Answer y to each one until finished.
sudo sensors-detect

Then right-click on the top panel and choose "Add to Panel.
Select "Hardware Sensors Monitor" and click the "Add" button, then "Close".
Right-click on all the sensors applet that appears on the top panel and choose "Preferences".
Click the "Sensors" tab. There you can select/de-select all the relevant sensors and adjust their low and high values as well as set alarms if desired.
<BREW>

The progress does go way beyond 100%. I have had it go to 193% before resuming at 78% and finishing at 100%. This was because ubuntu did the timing progression in a different way than was usually used which messed the timing and progression up. It has been sorted out now but too late for 2.6. Just think of it as the team giving their 215%. :lol:
2hot6ft2

PreviousNext

Return to Ultimate Edition 2.6 (Including 2.6.5)