Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Nvidia issues post here please.

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 2.6

Re: Nvidia issues post here please.

Postby Psycs » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:16 am

Issue: I've got 2 monitors. First monitor is in landscape mode. I wanna turn my 2nd monitor into portrait mode. After 4 hours and crashing my xorg.conf file a few dozen times, I can't figure it out. I've been able to edit the xorg.conf to rotate my 2nd monitor to the "left", but it also rotates my main monitor... my xorg.conf looks like this;

Code: Select all
# nvidia-settings: X configuration file generated by nvidia-settings
# nvidia-settings:  version 1.0  (buildd@yellow)  Fri Apr  9 11:51:21 UTC 2010

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "Layout0"
    Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
    InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
    InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
    Option         "Xinerama" "0"
EndSection

Section "Files"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    # generated from default
    Identifier     "Mouse0"
    Driver         "mouse"
    Option         "Protocol" "auto"
    Option         "Device" "/dev/psaux"
    Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
    Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    # generated from default
    Identifier     "Keyboard0"
    Driver         "kbd"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    # HorizSync source: edid, VertRefresh source: edid
    Identifier     "Monitor0"
    VendorName     "Unknown"
    ModelName      "DELL 1909W"
    HorizSync       30.0 - 83.0
    VertRefresh     56.0 - 75.0
    Option         "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Device0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
    BoardName      "GeForce GTX 260"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Device         "Device0"
    Monitor        "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth    24
    Option         "TwinView" "1"
    Option         "TwinViewXineramaInfoOrder" "DFP-1"
    Option         "metamodes" "CRT: nvidia-auto-select +1920+0, DFP: nvidia-auto-select +0+0"
    SubSection     "Display"
        Depth       24
    EndSubSection
EndSection

This is my workable xorg.conf file. I'd like to keep the compiz effects if possible as well.
Psycs
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 64 BIT

Postby Admin-Amir » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:58 am

Hello

It’s quite a pain to get dual monitors working your first time using Linux, however I hope this guide will make the process relatively quick and painless.

The first step towards dual monitors involves installing the NVidia 3D drivers. Luckily, NVidia has great Linux support and the drivers can easily be downloaded from the Ubuntu repository. Ubuntu Feisty Fawn gives users the option to install these drivers when first installing, but in case you chose not to install these drivers, all it requires is one line of code in the terminal:

sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx

Now that the drivers are installed, let’s make sure that we’re using them. First, let’s check xorg.conf, the main location for display settings in Linux. Type
sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf_backup
. This ensures that we have a backup copy in case some of the settings we’re about to edit break X and don’t allow you to use a graphical interface! I suggest always doing thins before changing settings in Linux manually to ensure easy recovery later. Now we’re ready to edit our settings, so type
sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf
. Under the module section, replace “nv” with “glx”. Under the device heading, make sure that Driver says “nvidia”. Under the screen section, add the following line:

Option “RenderAccel” “true”.

Now save your changes and close gedit. We’re going to reload X to ensure that we’re now using the proper drivers. Reload X by hitting Ctrl+Alt+Backspace. This will require you to log back into Ubuntu, so if you’re not using a browser that saves your session, like Firefox/Swifterfox, make sure you bookmark this guide to follow the remaining instructions. If our install worked, you should see the NVidia logo flash quickly before the Ubuntu log in screen comes up. Actually, if this doesn’t work, you’re not going to be able to load X properly. If that’s the case, you’re going to have to type this into the console to replace the new xorg.conf with the old:

sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf_backup /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Assuming everything went well, we’re quite close to having dual screens working. Let’s go back into xorg.conf using
. Now go back under the heading “Screen”. Let’s add a few lines:

##This turns on NVidia’s TwinView
Option “TwinView”
##Here I’m setting the resolution to the individual monitors.
Option “MetaModes” “1280×1024 1280×1024″

That should be it! Restart X with Ctrl+Alt+Backspace and you should have two screens. If the orientation of the screens is off, try this under the “Screen” heading…

Option “TwinViewOrientation” “LeftOf”

LeftOf can be LeftOf, RightOf, Below, Above, or Clone.

Hope that was helpful!
Admin-Amir

Postby Psycs » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:19 am

Thanks, shortly after posting that I finally figured it out and got it working. ...After getting it working some how my Network Manager just disappeared and isn't installed any more.
Psycs
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby Admin-Amir » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:47 am

Hello Psycs.

Try to reinstall the Gnome Network Manager again from synaptic.
See if it will solve the issue for you.
Admin-Amir

Postby buschbarber » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:42 pm

I have been running Ultimate Edition 2.6 for some time. I have an Nvidia Gforce 9800GTX+ card. I used the instructions on the following thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? ... ost9417806

to install my video drivers, for several versions of Ubuntu and Ultimate Edition, without a problem. With Ultimate Edition 2.6, I am having a problem with kernel 22. No matter what I do, If I try to install the latest Nvidia drivers or even the Beta drivers, they will only install successfully on kernel 21.

Is there some trick to get the newer drivers installed under the latest kernel 22?
Asus P5Q Mobo
4Gb Corsair Ram
Intel Core 2 Quad 9400 2.66Ghz
Nvidia Gforce 9800GTX+ PCIe 512Mb
Realtek ALC1200 8ch Audio Adapter
WinTV-HVR-1600 PCI
3 SATA Internal HDD - 250Gb, 250Gb, 500Gb
Ultimate Edition 2.8 64bit, Ubuntu 10.10 64bit and Windows 7 64bit
buschbarber
U.E. College Professor
U.E. College Professor

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Postby Admin-Amir » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:50 pm

Hello buschbarber.

Drama has post on the Team the solution for this issue,
please try this option ,and see if it will work for you.

I havent tried 2.7 yet. But i have no problems with the nvidia drivers in 2.6 x64 with 2.6.32.22. Well i did at first then i added nomodeset to my grub config ( /etc/default/grub) then ran update-grub. and all was well. Modesetting enables noveu and blocks the nvidia module from loading.

Not sure if you know but you can also get plymoth running at a decent resolution with the nvidia drivers.

Check this out

http://idyllictux.wordpress.com/2010/04 ... ed-driver/
Admin-Amir

Postby zombiewhisperer » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:54 pm

buschbarber,
I as well have a 9800GTX videocard and I have the same issue as you. The only fix i've found is to only use the .21 kernal. No matter what i've tried it wont work for me.
Ultimate Edition 2.6 (64) EXT4 .21 gen.
Win7 Ultimate ed. NTFS
Coolermaster NV690 Nvidia ed.
Gigabyte P55m-UD2
Intel Core i7 860 @ 3.0Ghz
G.Skill 2x2GB DDR3 2000
SG 500GB x2 32mb (O/S)
SG 1.5TB x 2 32mb (Data)
WD 1TB x1 32mb(Data)
WD 120x2 8mb (Test drives)
LG Super multi DVDRW
EVGA GeForce 9800GTX

Asus F3Jm Laptop
Dual boot: Ubuntu Ult. Ed. 2.6(x86) EXT4,
OSXSnow Leo

Intel Centrino Duo 1.83Ghz
2 x 1G DDR2 667
WD 100G Sata 8mb cache
Nvidia Geforce 7600Go 512mb
Super Multi DVDRW
Intel 945PM Chipset
15.6' 1280x800
zombiewhisperer
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 1.8 Gamers

Postby buschbarber » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:47 pm

I followed the instructions in Amir's reply, on pg 3 of this thread, and although I had to hit enter a dozen times to various error messages, I now have kernel 22 running with the 256.25 drivers and X seems to be working fine.

We shall see as I run various applications, but the Nvidia Settings interface comes up without an error.
Asus P5Q Mobo
4Gb Corsair Ram
Intel Core 2 Quad 9400 2.66Ghz
Nvidia Gforce 9800GTX+ PCIe 512Mb
Realtek ALC1200 8ch Audio Adapter
WinTV-HVR-1600 PCI
3 SATA Internal HDD - 250Gb, 250Gb, 500Gb
Ultimate Edition 2.8 64bit, Ubuntu 10.10 64bit and Windows 7 64bit
buschbarber
U.E. College Professor
U.E. College Professor

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Postby Psycs » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:36 pm

Admin-Amir wrote:Hello

It’s quite a pain to get dual monitors working your first time using Linux, however I hope this guide will make the process relatively quick and painless.

The first step towards dual monitors involves installing the NVidia 3D drivers. Luckily, NVidia has great Linux support and the drivers can easily be downloaded from the Ubuntu repository. Ubuntu Feisty Fawn gives users the option to install these drivers when first installing, but in case you chose not to install these drivers, all it requires is one line of code in the terminal:

sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx

Now that the drivers are installed, let’s make sure that we’re using them. First, let’s check xorg.conf, the main location for display settings in Linux. Type
sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf_backup
. This ensures that we have a backup copy in case some of the settings we’re about to edit break X and don’t allow you to use a graphical interface! I suggest always doing thins before changing settings in Linux manually to ensure easy recovery later. Now we’re ready to edit our settings, so type
. Under the module section, replace “nv” with “glx”. Under the device heading, make sure that Driver says “nvidia”. Under the screen section, add the following line:

Option “RenderAccel” “true”.

Now save your changes and close gedit. We’re going to reload X to ensure that we’re now using the proper drivers. Reload X by hitting Ctrl+Alt+Backspace. This will require you to log back into Ubuntu, so if you’re not using a browser that saves your session, like Firefox/Swifterfox, make sure you bookmark this guide to follow the remaining instructions. If our install worked, you should see the NVidia logo flash quickly before the Ubuntu log in screen comes up. Actually, if this doesn’t work, you’re not going to be able to load X properly. If that’s the case, you’re going to have to type this into the console to replace the new xorg.conf with the old:

sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf_backup /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Assuming everything went well, we’re quite close to having dual screens working. Let’s go back into xorg.conf using
. Now go back under the heading “Screen”. Let’s add a few lines:

##This turns on NVidia’s TwinView
Option “TwinView”
##Here I’m setting the resolution to the individual monitors.
Option “MetaModes” “1280×1024 1280×1024″

That should be it! Restart X with Ctrl+Alt+Backspace and you should have two screens. If the orientation of the screens is off, try this under the “Screen” heading…

Option “TwinViewOrientation” “LeftOf”

LeftOf can be LeftOf, RightOf, Below, Above, or Clone.

Hope that was helpful!

I went ahead and reinstalled with Ultimate Edition 2.7. That post is for setting up Dual Monitors, which is great, but what I needed to know is how to setup Dual Monitors with my 2nd monitor being in Portrait Mode while being in TwinView. Figured out how to do it in Separate X Screen, but not in TwinView so I can actually use both monitors. Do you have a guide or anything for doing that?
Psycs
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby Admin-Amir » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:27 am

Hello Psycs.

Here is something for you to try to solve your issue with the monitor.

Arrange the monitor orientation in twinview for second monitor to "below" primary, rather than "right" of primary. In other words, instead of left & right, I made them above & below. The combined _vertical_ resolution was within the card limits.

If that will not work for you then try this one:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=221174
Admin-Amir

PreviousNext

Return to Ultimate Edition 2.6 (Including 2.6.5)