Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

harddrive and etthernet scenario fdr linux noob

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 2.3

harddrive and etthernet scenario fdr linux noob

Postby tchk » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:31 pm

ok first of all i'm sry i'm totally retarded or something
i'm formatting a hard drive after install like this
i create an primary harddrive then a 5 gb swap at the beginning and end [not sure where outside of disk is but was told it's faster then interior] then ext4 in the middle of them tried primary and logical
then i restart and i can't write to them because i'm not the root but i just created them, gparted didn't let me specify partion permissions. i guess since gparted asked me password that makes me root is there a partition editor with some real options or do i just have it set up totally wrong or what?
also my mobo's ethernet ports just stopped working when i plug in cable no lights letting me know it's trying to communicate or anything, then if i plug in a nic card to pci slot and connect cable it automatically connects without even power cycling my modem. i never had problem with ultimate edition using these connections before i even loaded setup defaults in bios still no luck maybe i should try to reset cmos or something with the mobo jumpers [asus m2n-sli deluxe]
with two ethernet ports
tchk
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Re: harddrive and etthernet scenario fdr linux noob

Postby tchk » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:59 am

i ran "gksudo nautilus" in terminal and now i can atleast write on hd
tchk
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Postby tchk » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:45 am

in running gksudo nautilus it let me take ownership of pretty much whatever i wanted
i'm now copying my 320 ntfs [to finally remove all traces of wi#$ows so it can be formatted as an ext 4 also] at 60 mbs to my newly formatted ext 4 jeez louise i've had this comp for three years and i've never seen it do anything that fast does anyone know how much faster ext4 is than ext3
also if anyone has any suggestions for my ethernet issues it would be greatly appreciated thx to everyone for their time and effort in helping a greenhorn
[no mobo ethernet and no ethernet problems if i put old nic card in pci slot, never any driver issues before with onboard ethernet in ultimate edition]
tchk
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Postby Moebius » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:36 am

Hi tchk,
To narrow down a bit, does your onboard NIC work O.K. with the Live U.E 2.3 DVD now? could a hardware fault have developed since you last used it? Does it still work with previous versions of U.E Live DVD's?
Could your onboard NIC be disabled in BIOS?

Cheers.
GNOME 3.2.1
Oz Unity Developement (32) Kernel 15
Moebius Custom Gothic
Intel DG33FB Mainboard
Intel Core2Duo E8400
Amicroe 2 x 1Gb DDR2
WD 250Gb Sata II WD2500AAKS (O/S)
WD 500Gb Sata II WD5000AAKS (Data)
LG Super Multi DVDRW
GeForce 8600GT PCI-E 16x 512Mb 540 MHz

Ultimate Edition Australia___Ultimate Edition Israel____Ultimate Facebook
Moebius
Site Admin

Postby tchk » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:52 pm

so i went to synaptic package typed in ethernet and nothing popped up
so i installed a bunch of packages for ethernet [not really knowing exactly what i needed]
rebooted and viola it attempted to connect but didnt
so i powercycled modem and it autoconnected
somehow i lucked into fixing it , thx for the help ! [resolved]
anyone know how to figure out what packages i needed and what i didn't?
tchk
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Return to Ultimate Edition 2.3