Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Post your install experience Good or Bad.

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 2.1

Re: Post your install experience Good or Bad.

Postby pch.shot » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:44 am

I'm sorry, Nick. Well done, mate!!!
Attachments
xthumbsup.jpg
Systems Windows XP Pro 32 bit & various Linux in Virtual Box and VMWare Player
Intel i7 2600K cpu with built in Intel 3000 video
1 OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig ssd(System)
1 Western Digital 2 Terabyte Green internal hard drive(Storage)
Kingston ddr3 1333 ram(4 gig)
MSI Z68A-GD80(G3)mobo w/hdmi video and optical audio
Realtek HD audio
Realtek lan
1 LG sata optical drive
Antec Sonata IV case/620 watt psu
50 inch LG plasma tv/monitor
Sony surround sound amp
Axiom speakers
optical sound
pch.shot
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Microsoft Windows

Postby SevenUp » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:27 am

Nick wrote:So my post goes without a mention ?
Thanks Nick but....... :shock:

In my response to slingshotsuicide I commented on your suggestion that CrossOver Office might be a solution for running the Adobe Illustrator CS series as follows:

"As far as using CrossOver, it doesn't run Adobe Illustrator CS series products any better than Wine alone - which is not at all.."

So, no, your post did not go without mention Nick. I was grateful that you offered the suggestion you did. Unfortunately however CrossOver Office, for all the ease of use it brings to Wine, still does basically only what Wine itself is capable of doing, and that means many of the more vital commercial programs in use these days still must be run on Windows or OSX.
SevenUp
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Postby pch.shot » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:46 am

That depends on what you want to run. Microsoft Office will run in Virtual Box with no problems. Audio rippers, games and 3D modeling will not. The best solution is to either dual boot or have two machines like I do.
Realtek HD audio
Realtek lan
1 LG sata optical drive
Sony surround sound amp
Axiom speakers
optical sound
pch.shot
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby SevenUp » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:53 am

A quick follow-up on my earlier post in which I mentioned installing Ultimate Edition 2.1 32bit and having it hang without finishing at the 95% complete mark. Suggestions were offered that unhooking from the Internet was the solution to that problem, and I said I would try that if it reoccurred on a machine in my office that I wanted to install Ultimate Edition 2.1 on.

I finally ran the install of 2.1 32bit on that office machine, and the same glitch popped up again at 95% complete. So I unplugged from the net thinking that would get me around the problem, only to find that nothing changed, the install continued hung up at 95%. At last I did a hard power down and reboot, and then the Ultimate Edition 2.1 system would not come up at all.

Finally I went back to Ultimate Edition 2.0 32bit on that machine and the install went through without a hitch with everything working perfectly. Not sure what the glitch may be in the 2.1 32bit installer script, but its definitely buggy at the 95% complete mark. Other than that single small annoyance TheeMahn has done a fantastic job in putting his excellent Ubuntu derivative desktop OS together, and I thank him for his dedication to this awesome project!
SevenUp
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby SevenUp » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:18 pm

pch.shot wrote:That depends on what you want to run. Microsoft Office will run in Virtual Box with no problems. Audio rippers, games and 3D modeling will not. The best solution is to either dual boot or have two machines like I do.

Agreed. As I mentioned I've run necessary high end Windows graphic programs in a mini version of XP Pro running in VBox on Linux machines with great success. Nevertheless there are downsides to running VBox systems, and like you say the best solution is to either dual boot or have separate machines running essential Windows programs - something I do as well.

One day, who knows for sure, we may yet have a perfect OS that never breaks, is infinitely customizable, fully open source, and runs anything and everything anyone may need or want without a glitch!! Linux is moving quickly in that direction, but the corporate big boys are gunning for us at every turn, determined to make our task as difficult as possible to complete.

Hooray for Mark S. and his awesome cutting edge Ubuntu team, as well as for the legion of independent Linux programmers and dedicated distro developers hard at work world wide on projects that continue to improve and impress as time goes by!

Hooray as well for TheeMahn and the work he's done on his increasingly popular and ever more widely respected Ultimate Edition project.
SevenUp
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby pch.shot » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:36 pm

'Not sure what the glitch may be in the 2.1 32bit installer script, but its definitely buggy at the 95% complete mark.'
The installer is Ubuntu's. Funny, I did not get any glitch of any kind nor have I ever with any version of Ultimate going back to 1.8. Heaven forbid it could be a 10 cent disc or crappy 20 buck optical drive or a burning program that doesn't work properly. I installed the last time with unetbootin and it was a lot faster. I wish people would realize that discs and burners are ancient technology and move on with the times and stop blaming the programmers for their own ineptitude.
Realtek HD audio
Realtek lan
1 LG sata optical drive
Sony surround sound amp
Axiom speakers
optical sound
pch.shot
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby deate » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:51 pm

pch.shot wrote:'Not sure what the glitch may be in the 2.1 32bit installer script, but its definitely buggy at the 95% complete mark.'
The installer is Ubuntu's. Funny, I did not get any glitch of any kind nor have I ever with any version of Ultimate going back to 1.8. Heaven forbid it could be a 10 cent disc or crappy 20 buck optical drive or a burning program that doesn't work properly. I installed the last time with unetbootin and it was a lot faster. I wish people would realize that discs and burners are ancient technology and move on with the times and stop blaming the programmers for their own ineptitude.

GROUCH! :lol: :lol: Ain't being old fun, everyone kind of expects this of us!
deate
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.0 Lite

Postby SevenUp » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:02 pm

pch.shot wrote:"Not sure what the glitch may be in the 2.1 32bit installer script, but its definitely buggy at the 95% complete mark."

Hope you don't think I'm "blaming the programmers" when I mention the 95% complete installation glitch in Ultimate Edition 2.1 32bit. Apparently others have run into the same thing according to what I was told earlier here on the board, so it's not simply me that's having the problem! When installing Ultimate Edition 2.1 64bit or Ultimate Edition 2.0 32bit there's no such problem at all, only with 2.1 32bit.

Besides, I'm not installing from a DVD I've burned, but from the .iso itself mounted to a virtual disk in Windows. On my machines that works great. When I do an uninstall I don't have to run my Windows boot disk and do a 'fixmbr' to get back to a strictly Windows boot up.

As I said, if I could run everything I need to work with right out of Linux I'd be a happy camper, but as things now stand Windows is a necessary evil that most of us have to deal with at one level or another - some more than others..
SevenUp
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby pch.shot » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:36 pm

'' but from the .iso itself mounted to a virtual disk in Windows. On my machines that works great. '
I have yet to see any virtual environment that does what it should. I run them myself but not for actual production because they just don't cut the mustard. Sure it will run OO but who wants to run OO at home anyway.
i.e. I can encode video way faster from running an actual operating system using the proper drivers for the hardware not simulated drivers. That is just one of the many issues regarding Virtual(fake really) anything.
It has come a long way but will never replace the real thing. At least not in my lifetime.
Realtek HD audio
Realtek lan
1 LG sata optical drive
Sony surround sound amp
Axiom speakers
optical sound
pch.shot
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby Cell » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:27 am

installed 2.1 64bit.watching tv,installing media stuff,urbannterror,and posting this at the same time.Ill install 32 bit and see how that goes.

it just works <BREW> kinda boring tho,im used to fixing things after an install. :roll: good work!
-------------------------------
hardware
--------------------------------
Dfi lanparty ut rdx200cf-dr
amd athlon 64 fx55 oc 2.9
2xvisiontek x1600xt gamers ed.
3 gig kingston hyperx mem
hauppauge win tv go tuner
pinnacle ultimate hd hybrid usb tuner
1 western hd 100 gig drive
1 western hd 160 gig drive
1 western hd 5 gig drive