Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

MP3 player VS Smartphone

Love it, hate it drop posts here
Forum rules
Comments or opinions expressed on this forum are those of their respective contributors only. The views expressed on this forum do not necessarily represent the views of Ultimate Edition, its management or employees. Ultimate Edition is not responsible for, and disclaims any and all liability for the content of comments written by contributors to the forum.

MP3 player VS Smartphone

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:27 am

Coming out of the shadows just to give a little advice for people that may not have tons of cash. Now most MP3 players on the market that have larger capacities up to 32gb are costing in the range of $80 to $120 and unfortunately the microSd card that makes this capacity possible is not included, so that costs extra. Now, take the smarphone I just picked up, is an LG L34C that is sold by Straight Talk for the cost of $30. Of course, this is also without the microSD card. Now, I add the microSD card (32gb) for no more than $30 and I wind up with a 32gb capacity and a decent 4.4 Kit Kat Android OS that will categorize and play these MP3's so effectively, it makes my old Zune(which is broken) look like a toy.

Now, if you are going to do what I am describing above for an MP3 player, have to remember to change settings from internal to external sd card for storage. Also do not use the program with icon that looks like person wearing headphones, is a program from google play designed to work wtih downloaded. Music can be accessed very easily through the purple icon that simply says music. Soon as you hook up data cable from this unit to computer it will come up on screen asking you if you want to just charge the phone or transfer files. Set that setting to transfer(MTP). Best create a folder on the external microSD card you have created called Music. Then simply transfer your music over to that folder. Is a great little device, that is pretty quick and efficient. The unit is has a dual-core processor which mostly puts MP3 players to shame. Phone part of it, if you do not wish to use "Straight Talk" services, then do not buy the card. If you have internet in your home you can easily get this unit to use those services while at home, if needed. Remember, what I have mentioned is just a great alternative to paying over $100 for a 32gb capacity MP3 player. Still, I believe is one of the best options since these smartphones are quite fast and efficient.

Any members that can help others with better advice on using these smartphones is more than welcomed and appreciated. I am relatively new on this subject as I have only ever had one android device prior and was short lived at less than one month of usage before battery died. Take care and just hope this will help others in need and not in the best shape financially.
Firm believer in Asus, Linux and Technology
"Art is to be enjoyed by all that enjoy it"
Asus M5A97 Plus motherboard
AMD FX 4350 Processor
Asus R7250 2GD5 graphics card
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
24in Asus VE248 LED Monitor
OS=My 8th OS Star Trek(Ubuntu 16.04)
Desktops=Gnome 3.20 and LXDE
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
OS= Win7 SP1/8th OS Star Trek(Ubuntu 16.04)
Desktops Gnome 3.20 and LXDE
2nd 500gig Seagate HD R.I.P
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.5 64 BIT

Re: MP3 player VS Smartphone

Postby Xanayoshi » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:16 am

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... ?t=2625426

Apollo Player. This is what comes on many many roms as it is Cyanogen.

On my iphone I use uhhh..FLAC Player, not only for the super original name but also because it plays FLAC

And now, the completely true facts, as told by an anonymous man hiding behind a screen name:

Packard Bell Pack Mate II 286 Intel 80286 1MB RAM
ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.4 32 BIT

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:36 am

Thanks Xan am going to try that one sometime soon and will let you know what I think. Still, this all proves my point as to the sophistication of these phones and lower cost. Tell, me one of these players that costs upwards of $80 would be able to change music tags and art covers???? Since, I have previously used a Zune, I know this not to be true. There was a few disks, I wound up with the wrong artwork, due to the CDDB filing it improperly. Most of these $80+ players do not have any capability of changing artwork on the unit itself. One would have to do the work from their PC to fix it. Now, the original software that comes with my LG is decent, make no mistake, just have to be sure to use proper program for what you need to do, just as with a PC.

I haven't had the chance to fully test battery life on this phone yet, as time has not been kind to me lately. Still, I know from the time I started it up and just fiddling through programs and settings, I must have spent an hour on it and did not even phase the battery. If you remember the small tablet I bought some time ago, a half hour's time and the battery was drained, so would say this phone far surpasses that and claims 10 hours of usage. Am sure hoping so, as I miss the days when I was working away in my yard, enjoying music for 4-5 hours. Of course that was max time on the Zune. I know most MP3 players now will work for 17hrs, including the still in service Apple Ipods, but of course the price is more than some of us can afford. This is the main reason, I state this alternative since basically for $60, you are completely set up with a decent MP3 player, then at some point if you decide to use as your phone, you have then killed 2 birds with one stone so to speak.

For Tracfone users, this model is soon to be coming which this article states http://tracfonereviewer.blogspot.com/20 ... eview.html. Am sure the cost of the phone will be more, and predicting will be around $120 once it makes it there. Least for those of us that want those Android functions and the ability to browse our music and select what we want to hear, is a great alternative presently, to just purchase for $30 at Walmart, Kroger's or whatever your choice of stores are since this seems to be a set price by Straight Talk.
AMD FX 4350 Processor
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby Xanayoshi » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:11 pm

tux_in_android_robot_costume_2_by_whidden-d3aq9k0.png

And now, the completely true facts, as told by an anonymous man hiding behind a screen name:

ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:58 am

You know, at times I am slow getting to things. Finally after all this time have installed Apollo, Xan. In fact just a few minutes ago and I do believe its work is cut out for it at present with 15 gigs of music to go through. Okay is finished and is absolutely gorgeous, LOVE IT! Scroll through the artists and there are great pics not the plain jane look. Of course am still facing a very strange problem and wonder if you know of a solution. A few of my disks, even though ripped in order when showing up in any of the players are not in order. Is very disgruntling on disks such as "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway" which needs to go in a specific order or it just spoils playing the disk. Listening to music is very much like watching a movie with certain disks. Would be hard to watch a movie where the first 5 minutes is shown, then last minute, then goes back to the 7 minute mark and so on. So, yes find the order in which these disks play to be very significant at most points.

To me does not matter in a greatest hits disk, but when is a story being told, needs to be correct. Since the order is wrong on the stock player, this issue has absolutely nothing to blame on Apollo which at this point am very and mean very pleased have installed it and recommend it to all music lovers. Just something very exciting and enjoyable to see when scrolling through artists all the beautiful pictures that lets you have that visualization. Can not describe how great it makes me feel to have that. Like I always say "Is the small things". Now I have not tried to play the entire disk yet to see if it goes in that order, but figured would ask you to see if you have seen any issues like this, about playing out of order. Have to add, use the link Xan has provided or do a search in browser on your phone as Google Play can lead to hours worth to find this awesome program when it could be found and installed in a couple of minutes.

Also, have to state to users with massive disk collections as I have. In case you have ripped your collection say back in 2008 as I did, you may find yourself re-ripping since there were issues with labeling songs and at points putting them on other disk names. With my collection, I have experience that on about 3 gigs of 90 that have to be redone due to this. Also, highly recommend as I have done, to use SoundConverter to convert to Mp3 and set in on highest and if you have 320's as I do, you will see quite a bit of space saved. Is a great little tool, just as I say about Apollo, of course the latter has awesome looks. Can't thank you enough on that one Xan!
AMD FX 4350 Processor
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:45 pm

Figured since solved the in order issue would post. Now when you are ripping these stubborn CD's such as my Genesis/Lamb Lies Down on Broadway have to put numbers in front of the name of the song when you edit in Banshee. Worked just fine now is in perfect order. Has beautiful pics as stated from Apollo program so all is very sweet now. Hope this all helps for others. Still loading this 32gb microSD and hope to be done real soon, down to about 10 gigs. Just going to leave a gig is all. Am terrible with my music, huh????

While am here will suggest all that rip their disks, use Banshee is a great tool. Leave it set on og or takes way too long. Then simply select all and use SoundConverter and get the settings up to HQ for your mp3's and should be good to go. Just remember as stated above if you run into ripped disks that do not want to play in the correct order do as I stated above, with editing in Banshee and put the number before the name of the song. This way has 3 instances of letting it know what order should play. I guess in this instance repetition is your friend. Take care and once again just hope this will help someone else that has experienced this hassle.
AMD FX 4350 Processor
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby Xanayoshi » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:58 am

Seems like it would be way easier to use Sound Juicer.

You basically load Sound Juicer. Put in a Cd. Extract.

ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:45 am

Probably right on that one. Here, I have that program, but seem to really be stuck on that Banshee as been really enjoying how well it handles a vast collection. Hate to say, I do not get that kind of response off of Rhythmbox. Sure Rhythmbox does well for a quick player of some files, but when it comes to dealing with a large music collection, will always stick with Banshee. You are right about what I should have done and is the equivalent of grabbing a crescent wrench.

Still, the order the songs play on that particular cd(Lamb Lies Down on Broadway/Genesis) would not matter how it was ripped. Read up on this and is matter of the way cd was manufactured. Unfortunately, this one was one of the first copies made(am a real sucker for this cd) and seems some songs are burned into the disk differently which messes some programs up. Now, had I not kept grabbing crescent wrenches, I would have done the smart thing and simply downloaded Easytag which I have now and that is more of a time saver. Ripping is not slow, but is stupid when all I had to do is correct one song on an entire cd. So, now am doing that along with more conversion of songs that were ripped back in 08. As time permits will be done with it. Am over 90% done so is a good thing. All this is the worst thing about being such a lover of music.

When I put this OS together did not really think about needing a tag editor. Was simple and took about 20 seconds, done. Would have saved a few hours and aggravation had I thought about it before. Since has saved time and brought me from 80% to over 90% and believe within the next day am off will be finished. I sure hope, I do not have to do this for a real long time. Is not hard, just very very time consuming and at points that is a precious commodity. To date, I have only run into 4 disks(Above 2 disk set, and Ken Hensley Greatest Hits 2 CD) with this playing order malfunction, so apparently is not a huge deal. Just have to be redundant with the numbers so will force anything playing it back to go in proper order. Next time I rip a disk, will have to use sound-juicer. I suppose I really do get forgetful sometimes.
AMD FX 4350 Processor
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby Xanayoshi » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:54 pm

I ripped my collection recently, that which survived the many many years anyways. I went Lossles Flac so I could feel special though. I am in the realm of 60 GB with this, and my next step is to push it in a cloud.

In addressing the topic title however, I would like to draw a comparison to the cinematic masterpiece known as "Commando".

VS.jpg

Now sure, the MP3 Player abducted a young Alyssa Milano, has a small army, and likes to comment on his little girl carving skills, but this is the Smartphone we are talking about. It's really not even fair if you think about it.

ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:48 pm

Saw the little note at bottom with KDE and believe with Gnome 3.12 you are correct. To me this 3.10 is their pinnacle of achievement, but is besides the point and not part of this. 60gbs tells me we are on the same page when it comes to the drudgery of ripping. Am finding more of these numbering issue cds. I would not want to start from square one and re-rip my entire collection as stands over 90gbs, so I basically am going through doing the sound converter bit plus using EasyTAG which does work quite well.

Seems like players on Android want to immediately default to playing songs in alphabetical order, least on these troublesome disks. Also is coming from my combining disk1 and disk2 to make one. Why do I do that???? Have 2 reasons, 1 for driving far and second which is the most dominant is working in my garden. I will be hoeing away weeds and want to listen to music. I will pick these two to ones so it plays over an hour and do not have to change as often. I really wonder at points as now there is no limit on time when it comes to playing these music files(minus battery power) that cd's are still produced in a 2 disk manner???

Was a different story back in the cassette days when most were only 45minutes and you could only fit one disk on each. That line has been obliterated now with the capabilities of these players. Folder creation at points on this LG 34C of mine seems to be an issue. I was the mp3 player depicted in your photo last night and smartphone was the muscular one beating me senseless. When I went to drag a folder full of one of those double up disks, it plain refused to copy it. Now when I created a folder with that name and dragged the mp3 files over was just fine. At points this smartphone really befuddles me. Of course when compared to the previous method(Zune) is still better. On the Zune, you had no choice but to use the Microshaft Zune program. Now, if it felt like it all songs would be copied, if not it would take about 3 more times of copying before the entire disk was on that Zune. I do not miss that point at all. Fighting with folder creation is still easier than dealing with all the disasters that Zune did for me.

Also had Alzheimers as there were points here and there entire cds would be gone. Seemed like every 4 or 5 months something else was missing. Since was not say 50 disks at a time and maybe only one or two, I simply blew it off. After the hard drive was replaced in it, seemed all songs stayed. Still it only lasted about 6 months longer so is not that great and will never have it fixed again. Besides is way past warranty now. What it would cost to repair that thing, I could probably buy about 6 of these cheap LG's or one decent SmartPhone. Another bogus thing about those Zune's was the inability to copy your collection to someone else's computer, unless they had the MSHAFT program. You know, there is points where some of us may want to copy to another computer. Now, our music is our own and I sincerely believe we should be free to put it wherever we want instead of having MS or Apple tell us where we can put it. Yes, I know I do not have a top of the line SmartPhone, still for what it is, its worth the price and does good enough for a person like me that is learning the ropes of them. Flacs, converted some one time, put it on Zune and it sounded awful. Ironically, still have those same converted files and sounds perfect on this LG. Of course have to remember there is 6 years between Zune and this LG and that make a huge difference, when it comes to technology.
AMD FX 4350 Processor
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Next

Return to Rants and Raves