Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Windows kept me working today!

Love it, hate it drop posts here
Forum rules
Comments or opinions expressed on this forum are those of their respective contributors only. The views expressed on this forum do not necessarily represent the views of Ultimate Edition, its management or employees. Ultimate Edition is not responsible for, and disclaims any and all liability for the content of comments written by contributors to the forum.

Windows kept me working today!

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:56 pm

I figured some would get quite a charge out of this one! For me is kind of revenge on some derogatory statements towards Linux that I heard today! Anyway here it goes. I have been doing this internship for a class at college called "Project Capstone". Have been bored to tears the past week as no real work has been there for me in regards to fixing computers. Today head of department asks if I could go over to another building and help a secretary with some work. Ironically is file comparison. A simple job for Linux, but a hard one for Windows!(without utility!!!) I thought of how simple it would be to just use Kompare and have the differences in about 2 to 3 minutes. I mean is simple checks for name spelling, attending graduation, and proper degree. Instead there I sat for 10 minutes while the secretary printed out about 15 sheets of paper and sat me at a desk to go through all these papers to check for mistakes! I sat there over 2 hours working away and kind of laughing to myself about this! Earlier the technician that I work with was telling me how much time is wasted on a Linux system! Now I was sitting there wasting much more time than Linux and was because of Windows and poor thinking! Sure there is WinMerge a decent open source program that can be used on Windows, but no one thought about it!(Would have mentioned it if I remembered the name!) I also did have a few words with the technician and this is exactly what I told him: "Just like Windows when I had to learn functions of a program it took hours on end. It is the same with Linux. Learning simply takes time!" I just get tipped when I hear words like "People just do not have the time to fool with Linux, they rely on an OS that is mainstream like Windows!" Sorry do not see it! If no one uses Linux, why are these forums packed???? Why are there oodles and gazoodles of Linux distributions out there???? Comes to choice and not everyone wants to have the same exact OS as everyone else!!!! Why???? We all have different needs! What is important to one person is not necessarily going to be important to the entire world! I can see with the numbers of complaints on Windows 8, that my above statement is well defined!!! I would rather do without functions, then go back to a system whose developers care little for its users! Is why I always say on here. I simply dare anyone to find a Windows forum that is half as caring as Ultimate is! Why? Simple. Does not exist!!!
Firm believer in Asus, Linux and Technology
"Art is to be enjoyed by all that enjoy it"
Asus M5A97 Plus motherboard
AMD FX 4350 Processor
Asus R7250 2GD5 graphics card
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
24in Asus VE248 LED Monitor
OS=My 8th OS Star Trek(Ubuntu 16.04)
Desktops=Gnome 3.20 and LXDE
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
OS= Win7 SP1/8th OS Star Trek(Ubuntu 16.04)
Desktops Gnome 3.20 and LXDE
2nd 500gig Seagate HD R.I.P
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.5 64 BIT

Re: Windows kept me working today!

Postby Xanayoshi » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:46 pm

It depends on what you are trying to do. Personally, the way I use PC, Windows limits me in regards to tools. I am ready to go with Linux. I am ready to have my Search Bar taken over in Windows. As far as going and picking up a laptop and being able to just run with it, play netflix and surf the net, etc, really most people might be better off with Windows and like you pointed out, there are only so many Windows to choose from and that makes it appealing. Now try this on for size, when trying to find images for my Pi(I really need to learn how to make those) I often come across this .exe thing that I have no use for. Will it work with Wine? Don't know, don't care.

http://apcmag.com/apcs-exclusive-raspberry-pi-distro.htm

I am not going to install Windows, to install Linux.

I am happy to have more people experience Linux, don't get me wrong, it just seems kind of rude to go through all that trouble making an image, and then only having a silly execute available. I am positive of course that it has nothing to do with all the Windows advertising plastered all over.

And now, the completely true facts, as told by an anonymous man hiding behind a screen name:

Packard Bell Pack Mate II 286 Intel 80286 1MB RAM
ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.4 32 BIT

Re: Windows kept me working today!

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:40 am

Have not been able to get one of those Rasberry's yet! Networking professor told me about them, but still am short on the cash! Agree with you, utility wise on Windows. To me at times I find the straw the breaks the camel's back with that system!!! Is the reason any work usually must be done on Linux. If I were force to use Windows full time say per work(once am employed after graduation) I think I would want the option of at least being able to install the KDE desktop on Windows. That way least some good utilities would be there to work with!!!! Sure there are decent utilities (mostly open source) that will work on Windows quite nicely and effectively, but once again have to watch at the amout you put on it! Just seems adding too much knocks it down. Linux, just load the daylights out of it. If there is a problem, guess what? It will simply refuse to load!!!!! Now to me that is the best option around!!!!! I would rather get the error message that it can not be done, instead of smooth sailing install and then crash boom, time to reload!!!!! I mostly feel unless you are doing traditional things per say Office related, playing games or surfing the net, your out of luck with that system! I mean sorry to the folks that think it is the greatest in the world, but simply nothing is! Everything has its uses and drawbacks. Once again, proper tool for the the job! To me am not a gamer least do not delve in it all day! I will play minor games here and there. Most are easily accomplished on Linux. Ones I can not play are ones my inboard card would spit and splat on Windows anyway!!!! Have no wish to do that as want to learn things!!! I do not sit there and cut those using Windows down. So I actually expect the same respect on my side!!! Is a hard one at times and get tired of hearing old hat stuff about all you do with linux is type! BS!!! Largest amount of typing I ever do is on here!!!!! Love it here and is awesome to let a little steam out! Just hope it never tips anyone off!!! Not meant to!!
Firm believer in Asus, Linux and Technology
"Art is to be enjoyed by all that enjoy it"
Asus M5A97 Plus motherboard
AMD FX 4350 Processor
Asus R7250 2GD5 graphics card
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
24in Asus VE248 LED Monitor
OS=My 8th OS Star Trek(Ubuntu 16.04)
Desktops=Gnome 3.20 and LXDE
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
OS= Win7 SP1/8th OS Star Trek(Ubuntu 16.04)
Desktops Gnome 3.20 and LXDE
2nd 500gig Seagate HD R.I.P
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.5 64 BIT

Return to Rants and Raves