Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

laptop finding/buying advice - larger touch screens

Any and all things Laptop related.

laptop finding/buying advice - larger touch screens

Postby Fyra » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:17 pm

Hi
I am investigating buying myself a new laptop, as the screen has begun to play up on my current one, which is a bit old to bother getting repaired. I'm in no rush though, because it is still quite usable and may last a few more months yet.

Requirements:
- nvidia video card only, for fairly obvious reasons
- 13-15" screen (not fully decided yet)
- full HD output (whether hdmi or just dvi doesn't matter)
- decent battery life
- 3kg absolute maximum, preferably 2.5kg or less
- battery life is important to me

Wants:
- while I have not used my laptop for a game that is graphically intense or many years now, it is not out of the question that I may do in the future. For example, if Mass Effect 2 comes out while I am still living overseas and have no xbox >.> I am not after the best, but it would be nice to actually play it with a decent framerate on lower settings
- I do play around with video/audio editing so it needs a bit of grunt at least
- also some CAD stuff for work

I'd be quite happy to buy a Macbook pro and dual boot Ultimate Edition, except for one little thing...

I sort of also want a touch screen. It is just a want, and not a need, but I am wondering if there is anything out there that meets my requirements (even just most of them) and also has touch screen support? I've spent a lot of time searching, but aside from one 17" dell (too big) and something else that was ATI, I think there is nothing. But maybe I am wrong, so I thought I may ask here :)
Fyra
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 64 BIT

Re: laptop finding/buying advice - larger touch screens

Postby DarkChild » Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:45 pm

Hey Fyra. Don't know if this laptop will do you any justice but it as good specs and maybe possible for you to do customization on the hp web site to better suite your needs.

http://www.laptopmag.com/review/laptops/hp-touchsmart-tx2z.aspx
CPU Type: TripleCore AMD Athlon II X3 440, 2982 MHz (15 x 199)
Motherboard: ECS GF8200A (3 PCI, 2 PCI-E x1, 1 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR2 DIMM, Audio, Video, Gigabit LAN)
Motherboard Chipset: nVIDIA GeForce 8200, AMD K10
System Memory: 6GB (DDR2-667 DDR2 SDRAM)
Video Adapter: XFX ATI Radeon HD 4350 1GB
Audio Adapter: ATI Radeon HDMI @ ATI RV710/730/740 - High Definition Audio Controller
Audio Adapter nVIDIA MCP78 - High Definition Audio Controller
1 WD Caviar Green 1TB HD SATA
2 Sata Local Disk: 250GB/200GB
2 IDE HD: 80GB
Hanns.G 22" Wide Screen Monitor
Speakers: Logitech LS21 7 watts RMS 2.1 Speaker System
ENCORE 802.11g Wireless PCI Adapter
Logitech Wireless Keyboard/Mouse
LG CD/DVD Writer 22X
BIOS Type: AMI (05/19/09)

DarkChild
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.7 32 BIT

Postby Fyra » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:20 am

DarkChild wrote:Hey Fyra. Don't know if this laptop will do you any justice but it as good specs and maybe possible for you to do customization on the hp web site to better suite your needs.

http://www.laptopmag.com/review/laptops/hp-touchsmart-tx2z.aspx

Thanks for the link; it is almost what I want. The only problem is the ati card; I know the ati drivers have improved but I don't want to risk it, so I am determined to go with Nvidia. That is one of the better review sites that I've seen though, and it has been helpful, thanks.
Fyra
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 64 BIT

Postby DarkChild » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:57 pm

Your welcome ;)
CPU Type: TripleCore AMD Athlon II X3 440, 2982 MHz (15 x 199)
Motherboard: ECS GF8200A (3 PCI, 2 PCI-E x1, 1 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR2 DIMM, Audio, Video, Gigabit LAN)
Motherboard Chipset: nVIDIA GeForce 8200, AMD K10
System Memory: 6GB (DDR2-667 DDR2 SDRAM)
Video Adapter: XFX ATI Radeon HD 4350 1GB
Audio Adapter: ATI Radeon HDMI @ ATI RV710/730/740 - High Definition Audio Controller
Audio Adapter nVIDIA MCP78 - High Definition Audio Controller
1 WD Caviar Green 1TB HD SATA
2 Sata Local Disk: 250GB/200GB
2 IDE HD: 80GB
Hanns.G 22" Wide Screen Monitor
Speakers: Logitech LS21 7 watts RMS 2.1 Speaker System
ENCORE 802.11g Wireless PCI Adapter
Logitech Wireless Keyboard/Mouse
LG CD/DVD Writer 22X
BIOS Type: AMI (05/19/09)

DarkChild
U.E. God