Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

HELP!!!!! i can't start UU 1.9 from hd...very much problems

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 1.9

HELP!!!!! i can't start UU 1.9 from hd...very much problems

Postby maurbassi » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:08 pm

Hello....Please a need help....newbie linux ubuntu user

I'm Maurizio,leavin of Microsoft Windows, 3 months ago.First i use knoppix 3.4 in 2 pcs,a old Pentium III and this pc

My pc
Pentium 4,1.7 ghz,512 ram,ati rage pro128 video card (32 ram),and 1 ide hard disk.motherboard intel 845
The problem
I was have a Maxtor 40 gigs ide hard disk,but because very much fails(i'm the guilty,phisycal lost/break some pin conector,so now only disk for data no for install some operating system.Any OS can't start)i change to a new Maxtor 160 gigs ide hd.
I'm still using the 40g hd ,mode slave
my steps
SO,first i download the dvd the sunday(with checksum perfect).I burn the iso and i probe.Very much problems.The live dvd detect problems with the 40 G hd(many sdb errors and frozen).I probe disabled options in bios but nothing change
Searchin Google i found info about "initramfs",and with help of many ubuntu users,i fix that.(with xforcevesa,break=top,ide_generic..etc)and enjoy the dvd

I like very much UU 1.9(i can't able for use compiz ,but...)and install the OS in the 160 G hard disk with the script.Reboot and the surprise,i can't start(!!!!)

Only i see a black display.I can't see grub,or shell. I change with ctrl+alt+f1....to ctrl+alt+f7 and nothing,nothing.

Why?? i was thinking the install script can copy the OS with the same config user of the live dvd(for example i was having hardware problems with probe knoppix in the other pc,1 month ago,but in live cd i put the knoppix cheatcodes,start session,install in the hard disk with the SAME OPTIONS than live cd,and start from hd ok.The knoppix hd install using the same config of the live cd )but i don't know why,UUltimate can't be able for that.

what you think guys? which can fail?maybe the video card(i think with this model i'm disabled for use compiz,right?,but using vesa driver like the dvd ???!!!),the fail in the maxtor 40g????(knoppix live cd start ok and i can read and write without errors in the 40 gs hd and i have access to the partition with UUltimate,in 160 G hd)

How I can fix that.....??? any idea??? what i can do?? :? :? :? :?

thank you very much

;-) Sorry my bad english
maurbassi
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.0 Lite

Re: HELP!!!!! i can't start UU 1.9 from hd...very much problems

Postby stanca » Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:22 am

Hi maurbassi and welcome to the forum.
It looks maybe your install process was bad,maybe the grub is installed on the wrong hdd,I didn't understand too much.Your system specs looks very poor too,even for a live dvd,they are at the minimum recommendations.I would suggest you to try the UE1.8 instead next time,it was more stable and less bloated,and first of all unplug your old bad 40gb maxtor hdd at least in the install process.
Anyway please stay in touch with us,some others with much more experience will sort you out soon in a way,don't worry.
Buona fortuna e ciao,ci rivediamo presto! <BREW>
Intel H61 ASrock H61M-VS Motherboard,
Cpu Intel Ci3 13-2100 3.10Ghz 64bit 3MB Box,
RAM 4GB DDR3 1333MHz Elixir,
Palit Nvidia Geforce 210 1GB DDR3 PCI-E.
Dual-boot Ultimate Edition 3.4 x86_64/Windows 8 x64.
Linux user # 492560.
"This is Linux land!In silent nights you can hear Windows machines rebooting!..."
http://www.youtube.com/user/laur1969 http://stanca-ultimateeditionromania.blogspot.com/#

stanca
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition Beta Tester

Re: HELP!!!!! i can't start UU 1.9 from hd...very much problems

Postby pch.shot » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:13 am

I've installed Ulitmate on a PIII with 384 megs of ram(that is the minimum). You can always tweak it and turn off some of the services to speed things up..
Ultimate probably doesn't like your video card. When you get to the kernel boot hit Esc and add VGA=791 to the end of the kernel line and reboot. This will load the Vesa driver and should give you a desktop and then you may be able to install the ATI video driver for your card. Keep in mind that video card will not run compiz-fusion. I think the minimum is 128 megs of video ram. Post back with your results.
Systems Windows XP Pro 32 bit & various Linux in Virtual Box and VMWare Player
Intel i7 2600K cpu with built in Intel 3000 video
1 OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig ssd(System)
1 Western Digital 2 Terabyte Green internal hard drive(Storage)
Kingston ddr3 1333 ram(4 gig)
MSI Z68A-GD80(G3)mobo w/hdmi video and optical audio
Realtek HD audio
Realtek lan
1 LG sata optical drive
Antec Sonata IV case/620 watt psu
50 inch LG plasma tv/monitor
Sony surround sound amp
Axiom speakers
optical sound
pch.shot
U.E. God