Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Uploading crash

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 1.9

Re: Uploading crash

Postby pch.shot » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:31 pm

You might want to try another web browser, maybe Opera. I know a lot of people have had various issues with Firefox 3.0. Maybe try a previous version of Firefox(2.0?). I guess the strangest thing is that the live dvd works fine but the install does not. Youu would think that the opposite would be true. Maybe one of the updates has botched things up.
Systems Windows XP Pro 32 bit & various Linux in Virtual Box and VMWare Player
Intel i7 2600K cpu with built in Intel 3000 video
1 OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig ssd(System)
1 Western Digital 2 Terabyte Green internal hard drive(Storage)
Kingston ddr3 1333 ram(4 gig)
MSI Z68A-GD80(G3)mobo w/hdmi video and optical audio
Realtek HD audio
Realtek lan
1 LG sata optical drive
Antec Sonata IV case/620 watt psu
50 inch LG plasma tv/monitor
Sony surround sound amp
Axiom speakers
optical sound
pch.shot
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Microsoft Windows

Postby just Fred » Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:34 pm

The problem occurs with every application I use to upload files. Firefox, Konquerer, Thunderbird, Evolution, and through chat apps like pidgin.

I uninstalled ndiswrapper altogether and still, same problem. So it cant be a ndiswrapper bug as mentioned earlier from another thread. That would rule out windows drivers too? Far as I know, I dont have any, anyway.

Hoping there is an answer there somewhere, this is driving me insane lol.

Thanks so much for everyones help! I will keep posting as I find out more. I just dont know where to look.

Fred
just Fred
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Postby pch.shot » Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:48 pm

If you know the ip address of the site you are uploading to you can use either ftp or ssh which are not operating system dependent.
Realtek HD audio
Realtek lan
1 LG sata optical drive
Sony surround sound amp
Axiom speakers
optical sound
pch.shot
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Microsoft Windows

Postby just Fred » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:58 pm

Thanks. That was looking promising. I was curious about max upload size, but everything I could find suggested it was only server related. And I couldnt find any info on how to do it.

I tried backing up the file and i get file not found. When I attempt to edit it, I get an empty file. Should I be looking in a different directory?

Thanks again,
Fred
just Fred
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby just Fred » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:44 pm

Thanks again, but no sorry, it didn't work.

However.... now this is strange...

I installed Ubuntu 8.04.1 64bit (not Ultimate) on a different partition, and amazing, I can upload huge files!

Could it be because of a bug related to partition size? Could another application that Ultimate installs be interfering? Each time the installation was guided with no intervention on my part. The Ultimate Edition install was from a live session, whereas the Ubuntu was from an option on boot-up, not sure if that matters though.

Id consider this issue resolved for my respects, except I have some work to do in setting up the themes, etc. like Ultimate Edition's. Assuming the problem doesnt reappear as more apps are installed.

However, I would be glad to keep this open and participate in discovering what the problem was with Ultimate in a system like mine, if it would help others.

Thank you all for your patience and terrific support!

Fred
just Fred
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby just Fred » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:55 am

I am extremely noob when it comes to Linux, although this issue has taught me a lot.

Is there anyway though that I can help out by using my system setup and hardware / software combination for testing with an experts recommendations?

Fred
just Fred
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby just Fred » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:45 pm

An update, incase someone stumbles upon this thread hoping to solve a similar problem...

I installed the Ultimate theme pack into Ubuntu and uploads work fine. Eventually I installed Firestarter and accepted its default settings, and the problem returns, as large uploads no longer work. I removed Firestarter through Synaptic, and uploads still wouldnt work. Im assuming Firestarter made a change to IP tables or something, that remained even after it was uninstalled. Fortunately the changes werent permanent and a reboot solved the problem.

I suspect my problem originally must have been Firestarter's default settings incorrect for my type of internet connection, or computer hardware combination. I assume the Ultimate script installed Firestarter automatically off the live DVD along with the other apps, which didnt happen when I manually installed just the theme pack, and picked the apps I wanted.

Not having the technical know-how to mess with it, I will run without a firewall, as I have a router anyway.

Hope this proves helpful to someone, someday....

Thanks so much again for everyones help. This forum is an example of the excellent support group available and another great reason why I havent touched windows in many months now.

Fred
just Fred
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby pch.shot » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:10 pm

Thanks very much, just Fred. I don't upload files myself but if I do I will remember this post!! I'm sure Nick will be happy to hear you got it sorted out.
I don't think you have much to worry about with no firewall. Firewalls were invented for Windows.
Realtek HD audio
Realtek lan
1 LG sata optical drive
Sony surround sound amp
Axiom speakers
optical sound
pch.shot
U.E. God