Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

What's all the fuss about?

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 1.9

What's all the fuss about?

Postby lewisskinner » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:52 pm

Not only is Ultimate Edition slower than Virista, it also removed all the settings from my previous installation of Ubuntu!

Thanks TheeMahn! Now to waste a further hour or two of my life fixing your damage...
In a world without walls and fences, who need Windows and Gates?

• CPU AMD Athlon X2 Processor 5000+ 2.61GHz)
  • RAM 2 x 1GB (667MHz DDR2)
  • Hard Drive 500GB Serial ATA non-RAID
  • Graphics nVidia GeForce 8600GT 256MB
  • Sound Soundblaster X-Fi Xtreme
  • Speakers Dell 5.1 surround-sound
  • Hard drive 30GB NTFS Windoze | 230GB NTFS shared | 147GB ext3 /home | 10GB ext3 / 10GB ext3 blank, for testing OS | 10GB ext3 blank, for testing OS | 15GB ext3 Ultimate 64-bit | 4GB SWAP
lewisskinner
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.4 64 BIT

Re: What's all the fuss about?

Postby lewisskinner » Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:22 pm

Not a flame, just an exasperated observation!

I have and AMD Athlon 64-bit 2.61GHz dual core processor, 2GB RAMm and nVideo GeForce 8600 GPU and 500GB HD

Harddrive partitioned:
  • 30GB NTFS Windoze
  • 230GB NTFS shared
  • 147GB ext3 /home
  • 10GB ext3 / Ubuntu Hardy (my main OS)
  • 10GB ext3 blank, for testing OS
  • 15GB ext3 blank, for testing OS (where I installed Ultimate Edition)
  • 4GB SWAP

I renamed /home/lewis (my Ubuntu user area) as /home/lewis_old in hardy, and rebooted into the live CD Ultimate Edition 1.9 and installed When I logged into Ultimate Edition, and named /home/lewis_old back to /home/lewis again, I had lost my setting, not the least of which was my email folder (/home/lewis/.evolution) which had over 2,000 emails arranged into a complicated trunk and branch structure. It is this that I will need to sort out, and this alone will take me over an hour. The rest (Satanic Edition themes, firefox plugins, compiz settings, menu structure etc) are only mild annoyances, but annoyances nonetheless...

• Hard drive 30GB NTFS Windoze | 230GB NTFS shared | 147GB ext3 /home | 10GB ext3 / 10GB ext3 blank, for testing OS | 10GB ext3 blank, for testing OS | 15GB ext3 Ultimate 64-bit | 4GB SWAP
lewisskinner
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby lewisskinner » Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:47 pm

No luck there.

I'm just going to have to do a clean install, accept that I'll lose everything and then get up in the morning and try to fix it again...

Bloody annoying!

lewisskinner
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby lewisskinner » Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:48 pm

btw, thanks for trying Nick, but I know how to install/upgrade an OS and keep all the setting. Done so many times :)

lewisskinner
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby lewisskinner » Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:44 am

Just to really annoy me, following a full install, I now have a grub error 15....

For supposedly one of the easiest systems to run and install (Ubuntu) made better and easier out of the box (Ultimate) this is starting to get very tedious. :evil:

lewisskinner
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby Baphomet » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:48 am

lewisskinner wrote:Just to really annoy me, following a full install, I now have a grub error 15....

For supposedly one of the easiest systems to run and install (Ubuntu) made better and easier out of the box (Ultimate) this is starting to get very tedious. :evil:

I've been watching this thread since Post #1 and at this point in time I'd like to point out a few things:

1. You've got Nick helping you out. He knows his s--t, and if I were you, I'd be all up in his face with the "Thanks for your help" because he could spreading that wealth of knowledge in a lot of other places.

2. We've all run into issues installing a distro. Chill. If you want to work through the details we're here to help and unless something's really dorked with your DVD or something, I'm convinced we can get you up and running. Things get a little dicey when you're dual-booting with Windows, primarily due to Windows not wanting to share the MBR. That being said...

3. The sarcasm and belittling comments of your first post are unwelcome; you'll keep a civil tongue in your head or I'll remove your post's. We're not above constructive criticism here, appreciate it really; but you'll criticize like an adult or you won't criticize at all. You're in "my house" now and if you don't like how things roll around here or how Ultimate Edition installs on your PC, let me show the door and maybe suggest you try Linux Mint.
I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am...

If it's not broken, you haven't tweaked it enough.

Beginners Guide: Linux 101
Baphomet
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.2 64 BIT

Postby lewisskinner » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:16 am

Baphomet wrote:
lewisskinner wrote:Just to really annoy me, following a full install, I now have a grub error 15....

I've been watching this thread since Post #1 and at this point in time I'd like to point out a few things:

1. You've got Nick helping you out. He knows his s--t, and if I were you, I'd be all up in his face with the "Thanks for your help" because he could spreading that wealth of knowledge in a lot of other places.

2. We've all run into issues installing a distro. Chill. If you want to work through the details we're here to help and unless something's really dorked with your DVD or something, I'm convinced we can get you up and running. Things get a little dicey when you're dual-booting with Windows, primarily due to Windows not wanting to share the MBR. That being said...

3. The sarcasm and belittling comments of your first post are unwelcome; you'll keep a civil tongue in your head or I'll remove your post's. We're not above constructive criticism here, appreciate it really; but you'll criticize like an adult or you won't criticize at all. You're in "my house" now and if you don't like how things roll around here or how Ultimate Edition installs on your PC, let me show the door and maybe suggest you try Linux Mint.

I posted, saying I was having problems [post 1]. Nick helped out, and asked me to post system information and a brief explanation of what I did [post 2] and I did just that [post 3] Nick then offered advice [posts 4&5] which I did reply to in Windoze but seems I lost connection as it's not here.

I then said it hadn't worked, and I was going to attempt a full install [post 6] and I thanked Nicked for his help and attempts, but wanted him to realise I'm not a complete newbie (should have been obvious from my system information?) said that I know how to upgrade a distro from a full install and I know how to look at hidden files/folders [post 7]. I also told him that this didn't work.

There followed a pretty quote from Nick [post 8] and then following my fresh install, nothing worked, and I said that I'm getting grub error 15 and that it was bloody annoying (it is) and tedious (ditto) [post 9]. This was followed by a rather uncalled for personal attack by Nick, calling me and "asshole" [post 10] and your response above when all I wanted was some help on grub error 15.

I apologise if I om across as a sarcastic b*stard, but that just how we talk in Yorkshire! Whenever I've been requested to provide info, I have done so, and everything I have been advised to try, I have also done. I fail to see what more I can do, other than switch off my Yorkshire DNA!

lewisskinner
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby lewisskinner » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:17 am

Now, can anyone explain what a grub error 15 is, and how I can fix it? Bear in mind I'm having to run using a live CD at the moment.

lewisskinner
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby pch.shot » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:47 am

I would highly recommend investing in a small fast hard drive(raptor 10K) to run your software and operating systems. Store all your keepsakes on your 500 gig drive. That way when you install a new OS there is no danger of data loss. Once you have that drive, partition it into 2 sections(you don't need a swap partition with 2 gigs of ram). Re-install Windows first on the first partition and use the other to try out distros. By simplifying your install you will probably encounter fewer problems(kiss theory applied). A grub error 15 means your boot sector is buggered. You can install this: http://www.fs-driver.org/ on your Windows partition and edit your bootloader in Linux from windows.
If your whole computer is dead you can always use this: http://www.puppylinux.org/ to edit files to get you back up and running. Good Luck!!
Systems Windows XP Pro 32 bit & various Linux in Virtual Box and VMWare Player
Intel i7 2600K cpu with built in Intel 3000 video
1 OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig ssd(System)
1 Western Digital 2 Terabyte Green internal hard drive(Storage)
Kingston ddr3 1333 ram(4 gig)
MSI Z68A-GD80(G3)mobo w/hdmi video and optical audio
Realtek HD audio
Realtek lan
1 LG sata optical drive
Antec Sonata IV case/620 watt psu
50 inch LG plasma tv/monitor
Sony surround sound amp
Axiom speakers
optical sound
pch.shot
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Microsoft Windows

Postby lewisskinner » Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:26 am

Thanks pch.shot. I always planned to get a second HD (I was actually thinking of keeping my OS's on my current drive and buying a larger drive for data storage - 30GB simply ain't enough for Windoze Bloatware!)

Anyway, I already have ext2fsd as a ext3 driver in Windows, the problem is that due to my grub error, I can't boot into Windows. having tried a full Ubuntu installation again, it seems that it doesn't complete properly, and when I use the liveCD, there no grub folder in /boot. Have I killed my MBR?

lewisskinner
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Next

Return to Ultimate Edition 1.9