Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Compiz fusion does not have all the functions?? + no wine?

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 1.9

Compiz fusion does not have all the functions?? + no wine?

Postby R-TypE » Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:24 pm

Hey, I'm pretty new to U.E although the transition from Windows to ubuntu has been tough, I still love Linux and tend to keep it that way...My recent OS has been U.E 1.8 and it was great n' all but I have recently installed U.E 1.9 and so far I've noticed that I have no wine anymore and not all the "plugins" in compiz fusion are there for e.g. the cylinder cube, atlantic cube thingy, and also with the compiz in 1.8 I could have animated desktop for e.g. like snow, falling leaves..in the background on my desktop..but in my 1.9 compiz fusion there are a lot of "functions/features" missing and I'm wondering why that is cause I know it should not be missing in the 1.9 compiz fusion, cause I saw them on screenshots that "thee man" posted...
I would be very happy if someone could help me with this problem! :?:

P.S. I'm a beginner so have that in the back of your head if you try to help me ;)
R-TypE
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.2 64 BIT

Re: Compiz fusion does not have all the functions?? + no wine?

Postby R-TypE » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:09 pm

Firstly Welcome to Ultimate R-TypE :D

Wine was not preinstalled but this post will help you fix that
viewtopic.php?f=43&t=1635

When you said you was using 1.8 was it 32 bit or 64 bit? I know the 32 bit came with more features for Compiz than the 64 bit did.

There is a post floating around here on how to get the deformation (cylinder) into compiz will hunt it down and edit the post with it.

Here's the post
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=944&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=50
It's right at the bottom of the page from Nick. The instructions a very easy to follow on the link and it works with 1.9. Attached a screenshot.

Thanks man this was awesome! But there is one last thing, I updated the compiz n' all but there are still some plugins I wish to install...so I'm wondering; how can you install plugins for compiz fusion?
I was using U.U.E 1.8 32 bit before.
One of the things I love about ubuntu is the enormous help you can get from others, it's amazing!

Thanks again for your help it was great! ;)
R-TypE
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby pch.shot » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:50 pm

Here is something interesting I found:
http://kdubois.net/?p=145
Systems Windows XP Pro 32 bit & various Linux in Virtual Box and VMWare Player
Intel i7 2600K cpu with built in Intel 3000 video
1 OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig ssd(System)
1 Western Digital 2 Terabyte Green internal hard drive(Storage)
Kingston ddr3 1333 ram(4 gig)
MSI Z68A-GD80(G3)mobo w/hdmi video and optical audio
Realtek HD audio
Realtek lan
1 LG sata optical drive
Antec Sonata IV case/620 watt psu
50 inch LG plasma tv/monitor
Sony surround sound amp
Axiom speakers
optical sound
pch.shot
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Microsoft Windows

Postby juanca77 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:04 pm

R-TypE wrote:
Firstly Welcome to Ultimate R-TypE :D

Wine was not preinstalled but this post will help you fix that
viewtopic.php?f=43&t=1635

When you said you was using 1.8 was it 32 bit or 64 bit? I know the 32 bit came with more features for Compiz than the 64 bit did.

There is a post floating around here on how to get the deformation (cylinder) into compiz will hunt it down and edit the post with it.

Here's the post
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=944&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=50
It's right at the bottom of the page from Nick. The instructions a very easy to follow on the link and it works with 1.9. Attached a screenshot.

Thanks man this was awesome! But there is one last thing, I updated the compiz n' all but there are still some plugins I wish to install...so I'm wondering; how can you install plugins for compiz fusion?
I was using U.U.E 1.8 32 bit before.
One of the things I love about ubuntu is the enormous help you can get from others, it's amazing!

Thanks again for your help it was great! ;)

Stick with Ultimate Edition 1.8!!

Just like you said, 1.9 doesn't have all the Compiz plugins, doesn't have Wine and has some errors. Banshee doesn't work, Wubi doesn't work, I had to download it from the Wubi site to make ir work (because the version of Wubi included in Ultimate Edition 1.9 is for Ubuntu 8.10, can you believe it?). In 1.9 Compiz has a few bugs too, so... I'm keeping my Ultimate Edition 1.8, I think is by far... much much much better than version 1.9.
juanca77
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby deate » Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:49 am

Nick wrote:Sorry juanca77, don't agree, had no probs so far, s'pose it depends on the rig your runnin'.
8-)
Since the release of Ubuntu 8.04, Compiz Fusion has been updated to version 0.7.6. Been eying the new cylinder and sphere deformations effects or other new plugins? It’s not hard to upgrade Ubuntu 8.04’s version of Compiz to get the latest and greatest desktop effects.

You’ll need to add a new repository that contains recent Compiz packages. Open System->Administration->Software Sources. Select the Third-Party Software tab and click Add. Paste in the line below and click Add Source.
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/compiz/ubuntu hardy main

Close Software Sources and when prompted, choose to reload the repositories.

A number of software updates related to Compiz should become available now; install them using Update Manager. Log out and back in to Ubuntu or restart Compiz manually. You should now be up-to-date.

To take full advantage of the new version of Compiz, you need to configure the new effects from Compiz’s settings manager. If you had it installed previously, Advanced Desktop Effects Settings is now labeled as CompizConfig Settings Manager in the System->Preferences menu.

If it’s not there, install CompizConfig Settings Manager from the package compizconfig-settings-manager by running the command below in your terminal:
sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager

Be sure that your visual effects level is set to Custom in System->Preferences->Appearance->Visual Effects as to not override the advanced settings manager.

Want to try the new cylinder and sphere deformations shown in the screenshots? Open CompizConfig Settings Manager and turn on the Desktop Cube, Rotate Cube, and Cube Reflection and Deformation plugins. In General Options->Desktop Size, set the size to four horizontal. In Cube Reflection and Deformation->Deformation, select cylinder or sphere. Rotate the cube by moving the cursor while holding the left mouse button and pressing Ctrl-Alt.

<BREW> :D <BREW>

You know, Nick, this is very informative and close to being a good "How-To" Perhaps you should copy and post this in that section???
deate
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.0 Lite

Return to Ultimate Edition 1.9