Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Ultimate 1.9 Freezes on Boot

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 1.9

Re: Ultimate 1.9 Freezes on Boot

Postby Baphomet » Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:15 pm

DaddyX3 wrote:What I was trying to get across with my earlier post, was not that maybe your burner wasn't burning them correctly but also a possibility of the drive not reading your disc correctly. I know it sounds crazy, but I've personally experienced this and it drives you nuts!

Agreed. I'm still wondering about the 80 wire/40 connector cable, too. Talk about being driven nuts...

DaddyX3 wrote:Another benifit to 1.6/1.7 is that you have/get back control of your xorg.conf file!!!!

Huge (and most excellent) point...

+1
I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am...

If it's not broken, you haven't tweaked it enough.

Beginners Guide: Linux 101
Baphomet
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.2 64 BIT

Postby artifacts » Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:45 pm

buschbarber wrote:I recently installed 1.9 on a 2Ghz Celeron machine with 768Mb of ram, without incident. It is still running fine but I gave it to my son.

My primary machine has been a 3Ghz P4 with 2Gb ram, a Realtek Integrated Sound Adapter, Nvidia Gforce 6200OC video card, three 200Gb SATA hard drives and a Plextor 716A DVD Writer. I was running XP MCE and I want to dual boot with Ultimate 1.9, as I did with the other machine.

When ever I boot with the LiveCD and choose Run/Install, I get the bar moving back and forth, for several minutes, and then it freezes. The checksum for the DVD matched the one on the web site. I downloaded and burned the ISO file several times, at 4x, with both my Plextor 716A DVD Writer and an LG DVD Writer using both Nero8 Burning Rom and InfraRecorder. Same result.

After a few minutes of the Freeze, I get a Black screen with White text

Preparing Restricted Drivers
Setting System Clock
Starting Basic Networking
Starting Kernel Event Manager
Loading Hardware Drivers

then I receive6 or 7 lines of text with a path ending with "Abnormal Exit"

Any idea how to debug this problem and get 1.9 installed?

Try this disconnect all sata drives and try to boot the Ultimate 1.9 by itself. Live cd/dvd can run on ram. If it boots then go through process of elimination by try every sata drive by itself to if it boots. Maybe this will help locate the error.

Are you using a pci sata card?
Mainboard - ASrock AM2NF6G-VSTA
CPU - AMD Athlon 64 x2 4200+ "Manchester"
Ram - 4 GB DDR2-677
Video - Geforce 7300 SE/7200 GS
Sata 0 - 300gb Maxtor
Sata 1 - Philips Dvd-Burner 20x
IDE - 200gb Maxtor

PlayStation 2- Chubby w/ Playstation Network Adpater
200gb Maxtor ATA 133 16mb cache (61 Games+Apps+Music+AVI Videos, 54gb free)
PlayStation 2 8 MB Memory Card + Free McBoot 1.8b

artifacts
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 64 BIT

Postby buschbarber » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:35 pm

Thanks very much for the suggestions. I will try each one.
My PC is an HP Media Center Edition M7060n. You can look up the specs on HP's site. The motherboard has 4 SATA connectors, 3 of which are being used by the hard drives. It has a Plextor 716a DVD writer and a Samsung DVD Ram drive/CD RW, in the drive bays. I also added an LG GSA-E60L External USB DVD Writer thinking that there may be a problem with the Plextor drive. I have tried booting the LiveCD from all three drives. The thing is, I installed Ubuntu successfully, when my Nvidia card was disabled or removed. Ubuntu works fine without the Nvidia card. As soon as I Enable the Nvidia card by switching the default in the BIOS to PCI Video Card, Ubuntu hangs upon booting. Doesn't that rule out the CD/DVD drives as the problem? I removed all the USB connected devices and I even took out the WinTV HD card and disabled the 1394 port and the parallel port. There is nothing else to remove except one or more of the drives. The sound adapter is a Realtek and it is Integrated.
Asus P5Q Mobo
4Gb Corsair Ram
Intel Core 2 Quad 9400 2.66Ghz
Nvidia Gforce 9800GTX+ PCIe 512Mb
Realtek ALC1200 8ch Audio Adapter
WinTV-HVR-1600 PCI
3 SATA Internal HDD - 250Gb, 250Gb, 500Gb
Ultimate Edition 2.8 64bit, Ubuntu 10.10 64bit and Windows 7 64bit
buschbarber
U.E. College Professor
U.E. College Professor

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Postby Baphomet » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:24 am

buschbarber wrote:Ubuntu works fine without the Nvidia card.

THAT, right there, is pretty much the rub methinks.

I say again, find a return-friendly brick and mortar Computer Haus and try swapping the card.

Baphomet
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby DaddyX3 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:47 am

The thing is, I installed Ubuntu successfully, when my Nvidia card was disabled or removed. Ubuntu works fine without the Nvidia card.

I would have to say, that you are having a hardware issue or the Hardy side of Ultimate Edition is having some issues with dpkg.

Once again, go try 1.6 or 1.7 and /or try a new card.
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 2.5GHz 45nm/Gigabyte EP35C-DS3R M.B. w/ddr3 1333
G.Skill 2X1GB DDR3 1333MHz/Gigabyte 8800GT PCIe 2.0 512MB GDDR3 OC'd to 700Mhz/ WD160 gig, 2- WD250 gig in RAID-0 (500GB), WD640 gig e-SATA external

AMD 64 X2 3800+/ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe/G.Skill 2X1GB Matched Pair ddr400
/EVGA 6800GS Nvidia Graphics 256MB/WD160gig drive

HTPC Box:AMD 64 X2 4400+/ BIOSTAR TF7050PV HDMI MicroATX/G.Skill 2X1GB /Matched Pair DDR800/Integrated video and audio/WD160gig drive
DaddyX3
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.3 32 BIT

Postby buschbarber » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:50 am

I downloaded and burned a copy of Ultimate 1.7. At a friends bequest, I also downloaded and burned a copy of Mandriva. Since Mandriva was in the DVD drive, I booted the PC with Mandriva,

Now keep in mind that the BIOS setting for the video is set to PCI. One monitor is connected to the 6200 Nvidia PCI card and one monitor is connected to the Integrated Intel video adapter.

I booted the PC twice using the Mandriva CD. In both cases, it ultimately hung with a Black screen and a fixed cursor in the upper left corner of the screen.

I reboot the PC, go into the BIOS, and change the default video setting to Onboard. I save the BIOS settings and reboot the PC with the Mandriva CD. As it boots, everything is displayed on the monitor connected to the Onboard video adapter. When the boot gets to the point where it hung before, the monitor connected to the Onboard video adapter goes dark and Mandriva loads successfully, displaying on the monitor connected to the 6200 Nvidia card.

Mandriva seems to be running fine.

My next step is to try booting Ubuntu 1.7.

With regards to the SATA drives, I will try booting Ubuntu witn the SATA drives disconnected. If that works, the one problem I will have is this: Windows is installed on Drive1 and Ubuntu is installed on Drive 2, Drive 3 has Vista on it. Since the Grub loader is on Drive1, I will always have to have two Drives connected as I do not want to give up Windos just yet.

For testing purposes, however, if the Ubuntu DVD loads OK with all SATA drives disconnected, I can try booting Ubuntu connecting one Drive at a time until I run into the Problem. If I find that the problem is caused by the SATA drives, I can always use the HP Boot Loader to boot off either the Drive with Windows on it or the Drive with Ubuntu on it and not have the Grub Loader on a different drive than Ubuntu is installed on.
Asus P5Q Mobo
4Gb Corsair Ram
WinTV-HVR-1600 PCI
buschbarber
U.E. College Professor
U.E. College Professor

Postby DaddyX3 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:25 pm

I reboot the PC, go into the BIOS, and change the default video setting to Onboard. I save the BIOS settings and reboot the PC with the Mandriva CD. As it boots, everything is displayed on the monitor connected to the Onboard video adapter. When the boot gets to the point where it hung before, the monitor connected to the Onboard video adapter goes dark and Mandriva loads successfully, displaying on the monitor connected to the 6200 Nvidia card.

Why exactly are you doing this again? What doest this prove?
Here is the thing ..... your onboard solution works and your 6200 does not. Why are you keeping your other video card even plugged in to the MB? You should have it disconnected from the PCI slot and definately not hooked up to the monitor while trying to install or even run a live session. Heres the facts: Your onboard works and your PCI slot video card does not. Here is what you should do: Unplug your card from the MB and repeat your steps that you outlined above. If your screen goes black .... you have got some problems. If it stays on - your onboard video works with Ultimate Edition and others of the Debian base Linux derivative.
next test:
Turn off the computer install your 6200 Video card again and plug one monitor into it and disconnect you monitor from the onboard video output, reset the BIOS to onboard video "off" - save to CMOS and exit (F10 usually).
What does this step do for you? This will be your answer to weather or not your card is going to be happy with Ultimate Edition. If you card still throws fits at you, then you have a couple of choises:
1. Update your BIOS firmware to the latest (not recommended to the inexperienced)
2. Get a new card and see if it works.

Here is what we do know:
1. You install discs are fine if you are making it past the black screen
2. Onboard graphics works
3. Nvidia 6200 does not work while your monitor is also plugged into the onboard output for video (so un-plug it and try it again!)

Hopefully this will get you on the trouble-shooting path that needs to be taken here to properly diagnose your problems. These steps cannot be fudged in any way, or you screw up the process.
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 2.5GHz 45nm/Gigabyte EP35C-DS3R M.B. w/ddr3 1333
G.Skill 2X1GB DDR3 1333MHz/Gigabyte 8800GT PCIe 2.0 512MB GDDR3 OC'd to 700Mhz/ WD160 gig, 2- WD250 gig in RAID-0 (500GB), WD640 gig e-SATA external

AMD 64 X2 3800+/ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe/G.Skill 2X1GB Matched Pair ddr400
/EVGA 6800GS Nvidia Graphics 256MB/WD160gig drive

HTPC Box:AMD 64 X2 4400+/ BIOSTAR TF7050PV HDMI MicroATX/G.Skill 2X1GB /Matched Pair DDR800/Integrated video and audio/WD160gig drive
DaddyX3
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.3 32 BIT

Postby Baphomet » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:13 pm

DaddyX3 wrote:Why exactly are you doing this again? What doest this prove?

I have to agree.

If you insist on down the same path, over and over, you're going to keep arriving at the same location.

Baphomet
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby buschbarber » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:35 pm

Let me explain!!! I retired from Kodak after 34 years. The last 20 years I spent in IT. I now enjoy building and flying my model aircraft, teaching others how to fly, helping my friends with their computer problems, in this case, exploring Linux

I am an avid Radio Control Model Aircraft builder, flyer, and competitor. My models are not TOYS. I have a turbine jet that can reach speeds of 250mph. I have a Windows based RC Flight Simulator that I can connect my RC Transmitter to and work on improving my flying skills. With my Nvidia 6200, I can connect my PC to my 50" HDTV, which makes my flying experience even more realistic.

I only have one PC, so for now, I need to Dual Boot between Windows and Linux. Since up to now, I could not boot both Windows and Linux, using my Nvidia card, I found it easier to connect one monitor to the Nvidia card and one monitor to the Onboard Intel adapter. Since I had to reboot to switch back to Windows anyway, it was easier to just pop into the BIOS and switch the default for the video adapters.

I have a friend who also as been involved in IT for many years and is still employed in that field. He has extensive knowledge of Linux and in fact was one of the reasons I chose Ultimate. While describing the problems I have been having, he suggested I try Mandriva, because he was able to get around a problem he had, with Ultimate, on one of his PC's.

As it turns out, I set the PC BIOS video default to Onboard, and I booted the Mandriva LiveCD. During the boot process, it automatically switched from the Intel adapter to the Nvidia adapter and loaded the Nvidia drivers. I subsequently installed it on my hard drive. I can now run either Mandriva or Windows and still use the Nvidia card for both OS's, without and Freeze Ups.

My IT friend tells me that If I can do this with Mandriva, I should be able to do this with Ultimate, after we discover what is causing the incompatibility.
Asus P5Q Mobo
4Gb Corsair Ram
WinTV-HVR-1600 PCI
buschbarber
U.E. College Professor
U.E. College Professor

Postby buschbarber » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:54 am

Interestingly enough, when I reboot and choose XP Media Center Edition off the Grub menu, Windows starts loading, displays it's Splash Screen on the monitor connected to the Onboard Intel adapter and then switches to the monitor connected to the Nvidia card, to display the Windows login screen, just like Mandriva.

I tried Ultimate 1.7, but it still will not boot when the Nvidia card is set as the default in the BIOS of the PC.
Asus P5Q Mobo
4Gb Corsair Ram
WinTV-HVR-1600 PCI
buschbarber
U.E. College Professor
U.E. College Professor