Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Ultimate 1.9 Freezes on Boot

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 1.9

Re: Ultimate 1.9 Freezes on Boot

Postby DaddyX3 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:24 pm

Did you try re-burning your Ultimate Edition .iso file again using 2X speed?
The codes you are seeing really means nothing to me, sorry. All I know is that the graphics card you have should not be causing an issue with running a live session or even trying to install. As a matter of fact, I think (its been a while - so bear with my memory) there is an option to change graphics driver right from the first menu you see upon boot up. Did you read all the options in there? I seem to recall having the option to change the stock video driver or manually set one up at least .... maybe I'm mistaken. :?:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 2.5GHz 45nm/Gigabyte EP35C-DS3R M.B. w/ddr3 1333
G.Skill 2X1GB DDR3 1333MHz/Gigabyte 8800GT PCIe 2.0 512MB GDDR3 OC'd to 700Mhz/ WD160 gig, 2- WD250 gig in RAID-0 (500GB), WD640 gig e-SATA external

AMD 64 X2 3800+/ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe/G.Skill 2X1GB Matched Pair ddr400
/EVGA 6800GS Nvidia Graphics 256MB/WD160gig drive

HTPC Box:AMD 64 X2 4400+/ BIOSTAR TF7050PV HDMI MicroATX/G.Skill 2X1GB /Matched Pair DDR800/Integrated video and audio/WD160gig drive
DaddyX3
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.3 32 BIT

Postby buschbarber » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:43 pm

I will try to reburn the DVD at a slower speed, but it is funny that the DVD boots to LIVECD and Installs fine when the Nvidia card is Disabled or Removed.

When I boot the Ultimate DVD, the only other Graphics related menu choice is Use Safe Grahics mode, but that hangs, as well.

When I boot with the 8.04.1LTS CD, one of the menu choices is Check Integrity of CD. It checks the CD and comes back with a message that the CD is fine, yet, It hangs when I try to Boot the LiveCD or Install.

I can imagine that the codes I type in might only mean something to a Programmer. When Windows has a problem and I choose Details from the error message, it spits out lots of Hex code that no one ever seems to understand, at Tech Support. I was in IT, at Kodak, for over 20 years, and there were only bits and pieces of the diagnostic code that made any sense. The Blue Screen of Death, for example. Usually only one STOP error was traceable to the source of the problem.
Asus P5Q Mobo
4Gb Corsair Ram
Intel Core 2 Quad 9400 2.66Ghz
Nvidia Gforce 9800GTX+ PCIe 512Mb
Realtek ALC1200 8ch Audio Adapter
WinTV-HVR-1600 PCI
3 SATA Internal HDD - 250Gb, 250Gb, 500Gb
Ultimate Edition 2.8 64bit, Ubuntu 10.10 64bit and Windows 7 64bit
buschbarber
U.E. College Professor
U.E. College Professor

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Postby DaddyX3 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:03 pm

Well, to be honest with you, I am at a complete loss. Here is my thoughts on what I would do.
1) reburn the .iso file again at the lowest speed.
2) try another DVD/CD drive to install from
3) replace your video card with another .. your problems might be hardware related?
4) Grab a big sledge hammer and go to work :evil:
G.Skill 2X1GB DDR3 1333MHz/Gigabyte 8800GT PCIe 2.0 512MB GDDR3 OC'd to 700Mhz/ WD160 gig, 2- WD250 gig in RAID-0 (500GB), WD640 gig e-SATA external

HTPC Box:AMD 64 X2 4400+/ BIOSTAR TF7050PV HDMI MicroATX/G.Skill 2X1GB /Matched Pair DDR800/Integrated video and audio/WD160gig drive
DaddyX3
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby buschbarber » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:44 pm

I am an open minded person, and a patient one at that, so even though I have burned 5 or 6 DVD's on two different DVD writers and even though some of these same DVD's installed Ubuntu 1.97, flawlessly, on my other 2Ghz Celeron PC with an Nvidia 5200 video card, I will try to burn another DVD.

If it is a Hardware issue, as I suspect, the problem is with Ubuntu, as the card has worked fine with Vista and XP Media Center Edition and the PC works fine with Ubuntu and the Integrated video card.

Because this PC has only PCI expansion slots, and the fact that Nvidia does not make any higher end video cards that support PCI, I am limited in choices. I was reminded by another IT friend that the Nvidia Gforce 6200 chipset is used by a number of different manufacturers. Mine is BFG. They may not all have the same level of compatibility just because they say Nvidia 6200. Mine also happens to be the OC (OverClocked), if that makes a difference.

I realize you are trying to help and I appreciate it. I am just frustrated. I cannot just go out and sample hardware until I find something that works. I was hoping that there were some newer Ubuntu drivers for my card. I searched Google for Nvidia Drivers and found Linux drivers for my card. The instructions called for installing the file by using the SH command followed by the filename, which ended in .run. When I executed the command, in Terminal, the error message said SH could not execute that file.

If you have a suggestion as to the best PCI video card that will work with Ultimate, perhaps I can find one to try. My PC does not support PCIe or AGP.
Asus P5Q Mobo
4Gb Corsair Ram
WinTV-HVR-1600 PCI
buschbarber
U.E. College Professor
U.E. College Professor

Postby buschbarber » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:24 am

For whatever reason, I cannot choose a burn speed slower than 4x. I chose InfraRecorder and selected 2x, but it still burns at 4x. I tried Nero8 Burning Rom and it only allows me to burn at 4x or 8x. I reburned the DVD and the same problem happened.

I have one monitor connected to to the Intel adapter and one monitor connected to the Nvidia adapter. I reiinstalled 8.04.1LTS and it behaves the same as Ultimate 1.97. It Installs and Boots fine with the Intel adapter and hangs with the Nvidia adapter. The Intel adapter does not support higher end graphics so I do not like that. I disabled the Parallel Port and the 1394 port in the BIOS. Sometimes, I can Boot Ubuntu to a Command Prompt, but most of the time it hangs as before.
Asus P5Q Mobo
4Gb Corsair Ram
WinTV-HVR-1600 PCI
buschbarber
U.E. College Professor
U.E. College Professor

Postby Baphomet » Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:08 pm

buschbarber wrote:I realize you are trying to help and I appreciate it. I am just frustrated. I cannot just go out and sample hardware until I find something that works.

I understand and appreciate what you're saying.

As much as I like Ultimate Edition and Linux and yadda yadda yadda... Sometimes I feel compelled to tell people maybe this just isn't for you right now. I'll be honest, I too am at a loss at this point. Maybe you would have better luck with OpenSuSE or PCLinuxOS (PCLOS) or one of the other many flavors of Linux available. Maybe Linux will never run on your particular hardware configuration.

Of course we're trying to help, we'd all like nothing more than to see you succeed at this and we're all doing our damnedest. Sometimes though, success means using something other than Ultimate Edition and I'm starting to think this just might be one of those times. I'm sorry I don't have a better answer for you and I wish you success in the future with whatever it is you decide to do.
I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am...

If it's not broken, you haven't tweaked it enough.

Beginners Guide: Linux 101
Baphomet
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.2 64 BIT

Postby buschbarber » Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:28 pm

Can you at least recommend a alternative Video Card, aside from the Integrated Intel adapter, that will give me the same or better graphics as my Nvidia card, and still have a better chance of being compatible with Ubuntu?

With all the data that is displayed while Ubuntu tries to load on my PC, is there nothing that suggests where the problem is? Is there anything in the version coming out in October that might make it more compatible with my hardware?

I just find it hard to believe that there is not a way to Patch the OS so that it will load with my hardware configuration.

I have plenty of patients. I do not mind putting in the time to resolve the problem.
Asus P5Q Mobo
4Gb Corsair Ram
WinTV-HVR-1600 PCI
buschbarber
U.E. College Professor
U.E. College Professor

Postby Baphomet » Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:38 pm

buschbarber wrote:Can you at least recommend a alternative Video Card, aside from the Integrated Intel adapter, that will give me the same or better graphics as my Nvidia card, and still have a better chance of being compatible with Ubuntu?

I admire your patience and willingness to forge ahead. Let me poke around and see what I can find. I'll be back.

You know, having re-read this thread from the beginning... I have an idea.

You know what I'd do if I were you? No, of course you don't so I'm going to tell you.

I'd go find a local electronics warehouse-type store (Fry's, Best Buy, Circuit City or whatever is in your area) and find out (ahead of time!) what their return policy is on PC hardware. Once I found one that wasn't too draconian (two-week return-window minimum, full refund with a receipt, that sort of thing) I'd buy another nVidia card and just TRY it. I mean, something is just not right here... That video card appears to be fully compatible. Your system specs should have NO problem running Ultimate Edition. Here's a list of compatible video cards (nVidia). I'd print that out, head to my local electronics warehouse and just try a different video card that is at least comparable to the one you have now, or that will meet your needs (just in case it works flawlessly!), and see what happens. Keeping to nVidia cards will eliminate the need to switch drivers from nVidia to ATI and all that. That can get messy. If still no joy, return the video card and we'll try something else.

The problem, of course, is going to be finding one that uses the PCI interface. Brick and mortar places probably aren't going to be carrying much in the way of PCI video cards these days. NewEgg carrys several (45) PCI video solutions, but I don't know if you want to hassle with doing an RMA if this cunning plan does not pan out for you.
I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am...

If it's not broken, you haven't tweaked it enough.

Beginners Guide: Linux 101
Baphomet
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.2 64 BIT

Postby buschbarber » Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:18 pm

Thanks!!!
Asus P5Q Mobo
4Gb Corsair Ram
WinTV-HVR-1600 PCI
buschbarber
U.E. College Professor
U.E. College Professor

Postby DaddyX3 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:54 pm

I too checked the Ubuntu site for compatibility and your card is supported 100% with the legacy drivers. However, I'm wondering if maybe you were to roll back to a previous release of Ultimate Edition if you might have better luck! Honestly, as good as Hardy Heron is with new hardware - it does still have problems! I would recommend that you try out Ultimate Edition 1.6 or 1.7, I loved those distros and they are packed with just as many goodies as what you'll find in Ultimate Edition 1.8/1.9. As a matter of fact I still think that 1.6 had the more goodies ;)

What I was trying to get across with my earlier post, was not that maybe your burner wasn't burning them correctly but also a possibility of the drive not reading your disc correctly. I know it sounds crazy, but I've personally experienced this and it drives you nuts! I don't know if you can just swap out the drive with one from your other unit and try it out .. but maybe worth the time? IDK. Another benifit to 1.6/1.7 is that you have/get back control of your xorg.conf file!!!! You can then use nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf from a recovery mode and edit all you want, also dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg is way better and allows you to get into you video card driver selection. Just a thought, but I would give an earlier release a try. Couldn't hurt and .. .what the heck....Its free!

DaddyX3
U.E. God
U.E. God

PreviousNext

Return to Ultimate Edition 1.9