Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Uploading crash

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 1.9

Uploading crash

Postby just Fred » Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:55 pm

I had this problem with Ubuntu since about 1.7. I installed 1.9 today fresh on a clean drive hoping it would bring me back to default settings in case its something i had changed errantly. But no luck...

Problem is, I cant upload pictures larger than about 512KB. Tested this on email (thunderbird), yahoo chat client (pidgin, kopete), and through Firefox browser with gmail, yahoo mail, or hotmail. As well, I cant upload to the various photo printing sites using Firefox and/or their webpages. The upload starts, the progress bar appears to be advancing, but eventually the upload crashes. If using T-bird, it will crash the whole application. So, its not an application specific problem as Ive tried as many possibilities as i could think of.

The rest of the family has a windows XP machine, and a Mac machine on the same internet connection, and uploads work fine of any size on them. The Ubuntu machine is the direct connect to my internet modem, the others are wireless. My internet is high speed, similar to DSL. The best way I can describe it, is i have a radio which receives and broadcasts to a tower from my ISP.

I havent tried any other distros of Linux but might as a test. I just adore Ubuntu, and especially the amazing work of Ultimate, so dont even want to consider anything else.

Im thinking there has to be a setting, like a port or something like that, that is normally open with XP and Mac, but closed in the last few versions of Ubuntu. I just need help figuring out where to look and what to do about it.

Help would really be appreciated! Thanks so much in advance.

Fred
just Fred
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Re: Uploading crash

Postby just Fred » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:08 pm

Thanks!

I tried your suggestion but still having the same problem. Large emails hang anywhere from 7% to 38%.

Interestingly, I discovered that I CAN send large emails when using Ubuntu 8.10 Live CD, and Ultimate 1.9 Live DVD, both in Evolution and Thunderbird.

Is there some sort of disk cache settings that I can adjust? But, Id assume that the OS's are loaded temporarily onto my hard drive anyway, so I cant see what the difference could be.

Fred
just Fred
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby pch.shot » Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:46 pm

Most live ditros load what they need to boot into ram(some will use a swap partition if there is one) and then access the disc to run programs. Maybe your crash has something to do with a ram issue. Once you install an operating system it will page to your hard drive using the swap partition. On a computer with a lot of ram(>1 gig) I don't use a swap partition. When you installed did you use manual or guided? You may try re-installing the programs in question with Synaptic. Discs are funny things. Mabe when you installed there was a spec of dust on the section of the disc that installs a particular feature.
Systems Windows XP Pro 32 bit & various Linux in Virtual Box and VMWare Player
Intel i7 2600K cpu with built in Intel 3000 video
1 OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig ssd(System)
1 Western Digital 2 Terabyte Green internal hard drive(Storage)
Kingston ddr3 1333 ram(4 gig)
MSI Z68A-GD80(G3)mobo w/hdmi video and optical audio
Realtek HD audio
Realtek lan
1 LG sata optical drive
Antec Sonata IV case/620 watt psu
50 inch LG plasma tv/monitor
Sony surround sound amp
Axiom speakers
optical sound
pch.shot
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Microsoft Windows

Postby just Fred » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:35 am

I've got around 3 Gig of memory so I tried a variety of settings for "swappiness" from 0 to 100, still with no luck. When I installed, I used the guided method, but don't recall any questions other than user info. I'd have to dismiss the theory of a corrupted install, because this is a problem with 2 different installs, and even on 2 different hard drives. The first install worked very well with this problem only showing up after 2 or 3 upgrades.

Since I can upload small photos and emails, but fail on large ones, I am still led to wonder about things like buffers, and swaps, or packet sizes and handshakes between me and ISP ( i really have no clue, grasping at ideas here ). When I get back home I think Im going to try to print out the sysctl.conf for both my install and what the live DVD is using, to compare any differences. Or, are there any other files I can look at to compare between the two?

Thanks so much for the help.

Fred
just Fred
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby pch.shot » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:11 am

I'm sure this is totally unrelated but have a look anyway:
viewtopic.php?f=43&t=1791
Systems Windows XP Pro 32 bit & various Linux in Virtual Box and VMWare Player
Intel i7 2600K cpu with built in Intel 3000 video
1 OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig ssd(System)
1 Western Digital 2 Terabyte Green internal hard drive(Storage)
Kingston ddr3 1333 ram(4 gig)
MSI Z68A-GD80(G3)mobo w/hdmi video and optical audio
Realtek HD audio
Realtek lan
1 LG sata optical drive
Antec Sonata IV case/620 watt psu
50 inch LG plasma tv/monitor
Sony surround sound amp
Axiom speakers
optical sound
pch.shot
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Microsoft Windows

Postby just Fred » Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:33 am

Thanks. Sorry, i dont see anything there that will help me. Id still like to find out which files I can look at and edit, which might have different settings for a Live DVD session, and a complete install. Any suggestions there would be appreciated. Ive never done any such tweaking in Linux before, so I hope i cant mess things up worse than they are.

Fred
just Fred
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby just Fred » Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:00 pm

Thanks for all the help. But still can't upload large files.

I "upgraded" the ndiswrapper to 1.53 which was available. That post seemed to describe my problem quite closely. Interestingly, now when I attempt to upload, the progress bar indicates that the upload is going closer to completion then it did before. It used to crash before 33%, usually much less; now it crashes past 90%.

Changing the MTU as suggested helped a bit too, but not consistently. I seemed to be getting some improvement the lower setting I used.

I will keep trying a combination of these and the other suggestions. Id still like to find a way of seeing the difference between the "environment" while using the Live DVD and while using a hard drive install.

Thanks again,
Fred
just Fred
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby just Fred » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:59 am

Is this useful information: ?

Ndiswrapper is still upgraded to 1.53

I changed swappiness to "0" then tried uploading my 3.5MB file.

After it fails, at about 33% completion, I typed "free -m" in terminal, and i get the following:

fred@fred-desktop:~/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53$ free -m
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 3956 1255 2701 0 35 741
-/+ buffers/cache: 478 3478
Swap: 9734 0 9734
just Fred
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby TheeMahn » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:22 am

Wow, compare the numbers. I assume the same amount of ram...
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 3960 3812 147 0 33 2766
-/+ buffers/cache: 1012 2947
Swap: 5814 5 5809

Only reason, I bring this up I see you have "Tweaked the system" as swapiness is just that (controls paging to the hard disk).

I would also like to toss down a suggestion, I see you use ndiswrapper (upgrade your windows driver). Please post if this does not solve your problem.

Edit: Ram does not mean squat I am running Ultimate Edition 2.0, which uses ram in a totally new fashion.

TheeMahn
Home of Ultimate Edition. Got a question? Please review the F.A.Q. Browse the How to section.

Main O/S: Builder of O/S Guess.
Mainboard: ASUS Hero VI (AM4)
CPU: AMD 1700X water cooled (Deepcool Captain Genome Cooling tower)
Ram: 16 GB GSkill Trident RGB Series Dual Channel DDR4 3200
Video: MSI RX470 8GB Gaming card.
Hard Disks: MASSIVE on the network.(10 Gigabit, 48 port, multiple servers)
Monitors: Dual 4K 43" LG, 4K Samsung 28"
750 Watt modular PSU (Rosswell)
1100 Watt Amp & 4 X 600 Watt speakers

Servers in the basement.
TheeMahn
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition Developer

Postby just Fred » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:04 pm

The only reason I am using ndiswrapper is because of a suggestion earlier in this thread. I only learned what it was recently when i googled to find out more about my problem. Maybe I dont need it or shouldnt be using it? Swappiness too, Im grasping at a combination of ideas to get my uploads to work, and learning a lot as I go! With that said, I am unaware of any windows drivers that I am using in the system. I installed Ultimate 1.9 by just "click-and-go". Everything set up perfectly including the graphics drivers probably as you intended. So, I dont know of any windows drivers I should upgrade, nor do I know how at this point lol.

Im still perplexed that Ubuntu uploads large files fine in "Live DVD" mode yet i have this problem with the install. Maybe it is a driver of some sort that isnt loaded during a "Live DVD" session. Or some memory, cache, swap, or latency setting? Maybe some kind of "wait state" or "time out" is not long enough. My apologies for incorrect terminology, Im probably way over my head on this already lol.

Since Ive caught your attention, TheeMahn... I want to thank you and commend you for the excellent work youre doing with Ultimate. I cant speak highly enough about it, its just awsome!

Fred
just Fred
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Next

Return to Ultimate Edition 1.9