Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Totem will not play DVD's

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 1.9

Re: Totem will not play DVD's

Postby pch.shot » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:51 am

I don't understand why it works, but it does. Quicktime files would not play properly for me until I did that. I guess the xine codecs are more advanced. Glad you got it working properly I know how frustrating it can be.
Systems Windows XP Pro 32 bit & various Linux in Virtual Box and VMWare Player
Intel i7 2600K cpu with built in Intel 3000 video
1 OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig ssd(System)
1 Western Digital 2 Terabyte Green internal hard drive(Storage)
Kingston ddr3 1333 ram(4 gig)
MSI Z68A-GD80(G3)mobo w/hdmi video and optical audio
Realtek HD audio
Realtek lan
1 LG sata optical drive
Antec Sonata IV case/620 watt psu
50 inch LG plasma tv/monitor
Sony surround sound amp
Axiom speakers
optical sound
pch.shot
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Microsoft Windows

Postby buschbarber » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:58 pm

My first Linux machine was a 2Ghz Celeron. I was running Vista and subsequently Dual Booted with 8.04. Then I sold it to my son and just put Ultimate 1.9 on it because he did not want to buy a license for Vista or XP. He was the one that noticed he could not play Commercial Copy Protected DVD movies. I found out that css2 was needed and once installed, it allowed him to play Commercial Copy Protected DVD's. Up to that point, he could only play Decrypted DVD's.

I tested my machine and discovered I had the same problem. I added CSS2 and I could not play the Commercial DVD's. I then was encouraged to use VLC Media Player instead of Totem. I was told to go into conf-editor, Desktop, Gnome, Volume Manager, and change the default for Autoplay DVD and Autoplay VCD, from Totem %d, to /usr/bin/vlc dvd:// and /usr/bin/vlc vcd://. From that point on, Totem still launched, when a DVD was inserted, but it would not play and I could not force it to play. I changed the settings back to Totem %d, but Totem still would not play the dvd.. I was amazed to find how much trouble it was to finally make VLC the default player for inserted DVD's. Google is wonderful when it comes to finding links to problems and solutions. I had to edit a list file and change some of the lines from Totem to VLC. In the meantime, I could not use Totem until you found the solution.

I am new to Linux, even though I spent my last 20 years , at Kodak, in IT. I am now retired and can enjoy playing with other things besides Windows.

There are so many apps that do similar things, so I am trying to sort out the differences and picking my favorites.

My next challenge was to get MythTV to work with my WinTV HVR 1600 card.
Asus P5Q Mobo
4Gb Corsair Ram
Intel Core 2 Quad 9400 2.66Ghz
Nvidia Gforce 9800GTX+ PCIe 512Mb
Realtek ALC1200 8ch Audio Adapter
WinTV-HVR-1600 PCI
3 SATA Internal HDD - 250Gb, 250Gb, 500Gb
Ultimate Edition 2.8 64bit, Ubuntu 10.10 64bit and Windows 7 64bit
buschbarber
U.E. College Professor
U.E. College Professor

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Postby pch.shot » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:57 pm

I find out most of my solutions in life by trial and error. Mostly error!!!
God blessed me with a very good memory so I don't have to write things down to remember them.
I set up Mythtv last week using my hauppauge 150 card. Had a lot of fun doing it mind you. Had it working like a charm. Two days later the tv part refused to work even though I changed nothing. That is the real beauty of computing. The challenge!! If it were too easy you would not want to do it. I'm in the process of networking my home using different software and network servers to find the easiest way so I can share the knowledge with others not really interested in doing too much thinking. Which I've found out is the majority. That's why I like this forum because a lot of thinking people take part. Hope you stick around. I've been here since February of this year and have learned more about computing than I have in all my years in the workplace.
Systems Windows XP Pro 32 bit & various Linux in Virtual Box and VMWare Player
Intel i7 2600K cpu with built in Intel 3000 video
1 OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig ssd(System)
1 Western Digital 2 Terabyte Green internal hard drive(Storage)
Kingston ddr3 1333 ram(4 gig)
MSI Z68A-GD80(G3)mobo w/hdmi video and optical audio
Realtek HD audio
Realtek lan
1 LG sata optical drive
Antec Sonata IV case/620 watt psu
50 inch LG plasma tv/monitor
Sony surround sound amp
Axiom speakers
optical sound
pch.shot
U.E. God