Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Ultimate 1.9 Freezes on Boot

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 1.9

Re: Ultimate 1.9 Freezes on Boot

Postby DaddyX3 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:49 am

Well, I just read a tid-bit from the Mandriva wiki and found this:

RandR 1.2 support in X.org

The X.org shipped in Mandriva Linux 2008 contains support for version 1.2 of the RandR protocol, which handles dynamic changes in the configuration of attached monitors. This version is a major improvement from the previous 1.1 version, with new features including dynamic detection of attached monitors (so X.org knows when you plug in or unplug a monitor, when RandR 1.2 is in use). Only a few drivers support the RandR 1.2 protocol: the intel driver for Intel 810 and later graphics adapters, the ati_6.7 version of the ati driver for ATI graphics cards (see above for details on the two versions of this driver included in Mandriva Linux 2008), and the nv open source driver for NVIDIA graphics cards (which includes RandR 1.2 support only for GeForce 8xxx series cards).

Mandriva has written and included an improved version of the krandr KDE panel applet, which supports the RandR 1.2 protocol. If you are using one of the drivers which supports the RandR 1.2 protocol, you should find that you can use this applet to control the layout of dual-screen setups, and to configure newly plugged in monitors without restarting X. If your driver only supports the older RandR 1.1 protocol, the more restricted features you are used to will still be available.

Maybe this has something to do with your success with you setup. I'm going to bow out of this topic for a while, so good luck with your issues. I would look into this a little more on google and see what this is saying and maybe you can get it applied in Ultimate Edition or Ubuntu.
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 2.5GHz 45nm/Gigabyte EP35C-DS3R M.B. w/ddr3 1333
G.Skill 2X1GB DDR3 1333MHz/Gigabyte 8800GT PCIe 2.0 512MB GDDR3 OC'd to 700Mhz/ WD160 gig, 2- WD250 gig in RAID-0 (500GB), WD640 gig e-SATA external

AMD 64 X2 3800+/ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe/G.Skill 2X1GB Matched Pair ddr400
/EVGA 6800GS Nvidia Graphics 256MB/WD160gig drive

HTPC Box:AMD 64 X2 4400+/ BIOSTAR TF7050PV HDMI MicroATX/G.Skill 2X1GB /Matched Pair DDR800/Integrated video and audio/WD160gig drive
DaddyX3
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.3 32 BIT

Postby buschbarber » Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:38 pm

With some guidance from my IT buddy, who admitted he did not have the patience I did, we were able to use the System/Hardware Drivers, Install and Enable the Nvidia driver, Install the Nvidia Settings panel, Configure it for the 1280x1024 resolution I prefer, on a 20" monitor, and enable Ultimate to boot up and display on the Nvidia Gforce 6200 OC card.

I have not tried to boot the OS with the Nvidia card selected, in the BIOS, as the Default video adapter, but it works fine starting the boot via the Onboard Intel adapter and finishing the boot on the Nvidia adapter.

Prior to the above, I did try booting the Ultimate 1.7 DVD, with all the SATA hard drives disconnected and all the DVD drives disconnected, except the LG External DVD Writer, from which I was booting. The system still hung.

I appreciate all the help each of you have provided and I look forward to learning more from you as I become more familiar with Linux.
Asus P5Q Mobo
4Gb Corsair Ram
Intel Core 2 Quad 9400 2.66Ghz
Nvidia Gforce 9800GTX+ PCIe 512Mb
Realtek ALC1200 8ch Audio Adapter
WinTV-HVR-1600 PCI
3 SATA Internal HDD - 250Gb, 250Gb, 500Gb
Ultimate Edition 2.8 64bit, Ubuntu 10.10 64bit and Windows 7 64bit
buschbarber
U.E. College Professor
U.E. College Professor

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Postby buschbarber » Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:00 am

Even though I have Ultimate 1.97 installed, with the Nvidia driver installed, I cannot boot Ubuntu, without hanging, if the BIOS is set to PCI, for the default video. If I set the default video, in the BIOS, to Onboard, both Windows and Ultimate will each boot up, successfully, and switch to the Nvidia card and driver. The only inconvenience is that I have to make choices from the Grub menu, on the other monitor.

The reason I have two monitors to begin with is that I used to use Dual Monitors off my Nvidia card, before I bought the HDTV. I also ran a different PC off each monitor, at one point. I never would have discovered this workaround, for Ubuntu, otherwise.

When I run Windows, I use Webshots as my Screensaver and Wallpaper changer. Webshots would randomly change the photos for the Screensaver and Wallpaper. They have thousands of High Res photos of any subject imaginable. Is there an application for Ubuntu that does a similar thing and a cache of photos, as well? The short time I had Mandriva running, I ran across a cache of photos set up for Wallpaper
Asus P5Q Mobo
4Gb Corsair Ram
Intel Core 2 Quad 9400 2.66Ghz
Nvidia Gforce 9800GTX+ PCIe 512Mb
Realtek ALC1200 8ch Audio Adapter
WinTV-HVR-1600 PCI
3 SATA Internal HDD - 250Gb, 250Gb, 500Gb
Ultimate Edition 2.8 64bit, Ubuntu 10.10 64bit and Windows 7 64bit
buschbarber
U.E. College Professor
U.E. College Professor

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT