Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Overclocking in Linux ? Stress Dual-core CPU ???

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 1.8

Overclocking in Linux ? Stress Dual-core CPU ???

Postby brjoon1021 » Fri May 09, 2008 7:26 pm

HI,

In Windows, the latest Prime95 will automatically work both cores. I have always had a Windows and Linux shared box so I just tested with Prime95 in Windows. Well, this will be my first Linux only box. I am going to overclock the crap out of it and I want to know that it is running stable. What is the best way to stress both cores in Linux to test an Overclock? I emphasize both cores because that is the real trick and the important part.

Thanks,

B
brjoon1021
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Re: Overclocking in Linux ? Stress Dual-core CPU ???

Postby brjoon1021 » Sun May 11, 2008 10:37 pm

Nobody here overclocks their computer !?!? Why not ?
brjoon1021
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Postby Cab » Sun May 11, 2008 10:44 pm

Well Sorry no one has replied, I have messed with mine to a point but not In *nix yet. I can overclock mine in the Bios so it is possible. I cant think of a prime95 type app except if your running compiz and have it selected try hitting the windows key and F12 it runs a comipz benchmark and just about pegs both of my cores on a Intel 6700. If I find something better I'll be sure to post it. Ps when you hit windows F12 again give it a few to regain control.. You'll see what I mean if you try it.
Mother Board: ASUS ROG CROSSHAIR VII HERO WIFI
CPU: AMD 2700X
Memory: 32GB CORSAIR PRO RGB @3200
Video Card: EVGA GTX1080 FTW
Hard Drives: 1TB Network Drive, 1TB 860 EVO SSD, 1TB 970 EVO M.2
I'm in Southern New Mexico, USA (not Mexico)
Cab
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition Beta Tester

Postby TheeMahn » Sun May 11, 2008 11:28 pm

There are a multitude of apps for linux in this situation, not so much for overclocking but "priming" it, when I do get time not a luxury I will post it in benchmarking section. I will post something brand new in this era. I typically dont let the bag out of the cat ;) I will inform you this and a place to start, I want you to understand I have much better in store for you and other Ultimate Edition users. I found software today in a deb that makes all you see there look like a big joke. Host it? Build it in? Wait until you see it...

most apps in nix will utilize dual / quad core, I would imagine 1000 cores, if software is written with multi-core in mind you get the big hit & is done in short order. Example me building your Ultimate Edition 1.8 32 bit:
Parallel mksquashfs: Using 4 processors
Creating little endian 3.1 filesystem on extract-cd/casper/filesystem.squashfs, block size 131072.
[========================================================= ] 162654/163627 99%

Time to do so has been cut in half believe that. I used to be dual core. Each core in the AMD 4600 X2 resonates at 2.3 ghz the quad 2.3 ghz X4 (the only "true" quad core currently). In linux "The bomb" in xp crap, vista is faster then xp, xp only uses 2 cores (1 in homo edition), funny the "hogg" of vista is faster then XP. With out a doubt Ultimate Edition is faster then all the above, I am not saying that because I made it.

TheeMahn
Home of Ultimate Edition. Got a question? Please review the F.A.Q. Browse the How to section.

Main O/S: Builder of O/S Guess.
Mainboard: ASUS Hero VI (AM4)
CPU: AMD 1700X water cooled (Deepcool Captain Genome Cooling tower)
Ram: 16 GB GSkill Trident RGB Series Dual Channel DDR4 3200
Video: MSI RX470 8GB Gaming card.
Hard Disks: MASSIVE on the network.(10 Gigabit, 48 port, multiple servers)
Monitors: Dual 4K 43" LG, 4K Samsung 28"
750 Watt modular PSU (Rosswell)
1100 Watt Amp & 4 X 600 Watt speakers

Servers in the basement.
TheeMahn
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition Developer

Postby brjoon1021 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:28 pm

bump.

I looked through the benchmarking area and I did not see anything new from TheeMahn about Linux OC'ing apps. My new build won't have windows, this time around, and I want to run it right to the stable edge. TheeMahn mentioned that he had run across an application (mentioned the fact in this thread) that was awesome for overclocking and that further notification would occur in the benchmarking forum....

Thanks,

b
brjoon1021
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Postby vinca » Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:48 pm

brjoon1021 wrote:bump.

I looked through the benchmarking area and I did not see anything new from TheeMahn about Linux OC'ing apps. My new build won't have windows, this time around, and I want to run it right to the stable edge. TheeMahn mentioned that he had run across an application (mentioned the fact in this thread) that was awesome for overclocking and that further notification would occur in the benchmarking forum....

Thanks,

b

what mobo do you have? also, what cpu do you have?
Vinca... aka BIG V

http://www.scienceprousa.com
Specs:
4gb ddr2 667 ram
Intel Core2Duo E6300 oced to 2.2 ghz
Radeon x1600
Arctic cooling freezer 7 pro
2x 250 gb western digital hard drives soon to be in raid
all on ULTIMATE EDITION!!!!

~Energy and persistence conquer all things~ -Ben Franklin
vinca
U.E. Master
U.E. Master

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby brjoon1021 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:27 am

core2duo, Gigabyte P35
brjoon1021
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Postby red_team316 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:43 am

TheeMahn wrote:There are a multitude of apps for linux in this situation, not so much for overclocking but "priming" it, when I do get time not a luxury I will post it in benchmarking section. I will post something brand new in this era. I typically dont let the bag out of the cat ;) I will inform you this and a place to start, I want you to understand I have much better in store for you and other Ultimate Edition users. I found software today in a deb that makes all you see there look like a big joke. Host it? Build it in? Wait until you see it...

Did I misread this or are you working on an app that does this? That would be awesome.
*$#!% pants and waits*
Core i7 920(working on a decent OC), x58 ASUS P6T Deluxe V2, 6GB DDR3 1600, EVGA 8800GTS512, Silencer 750W PSU, CoolerMaster V8, Red Antec900
red_team316
U.E. College Professor
U.E. College Professor

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby brjoon1021 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:52 am

In synaptic I downloaded and installed "Phoronix Test Suite". Where did it go ? I have looked all over and the only thing that looks close to it is > Preferences > "System Profiler and Benchmark". I don't think that this is the phoronix test suite, though.
brjoon1021
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Postby Baphomet » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:59 am

brjoon1021 wrote:Nobody here overclocks their computer !?!? Why not ?

Because running linux so reduces the total overhead (as opposed to some other operating systems) on my PC and, Ultimate Edition is so souped-up already besides, that it feels like I'm overclocking from the moment I install.

With a C2D E8500, 2GB and a Raptor 10K RPM hard drive under my "hood" I don't feel the need to OC.
I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am...

If it's not broken, you haven't tweaked it enough.

Beginners Guide: Linux 101
Baphomet
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.2 64 BIT

Return to Ultimate Edition 1.8