Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Anyone With Problems, Please Read.

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 1.8

Anyone With Problems, Please Read.

Postby Zero Prime » Thu May 08, 2008 6:16 pm

This may not be a cure all for every problem, but I've read a lot of problems on here that may be due to the current Kernal used for Ubuntu 8.04 and of course Ultimate Edition 1.8. I've read on the Ubuntu forums of many problems similer to some that people are having here. Last night after enabling the backports and proposed updates repos I got a rather large update. This update included the new 2.6.24-17-generic kernal. This fixed all my problems, all that I have found anyway. Firefox is even faster now. Scrolling used to be very slow and choppy but now is fast and smooth. Files copy from one folder to another without giving me and error when drag and dropping to quickly. I highly recommend updating to this kernal if you are having troubles.

---Sorry for having to edit your post ZeroPrime, but I feel it is necessary to warn of the repercussions of allowing backport updates.

People, you need to be aware of the fact that by opening up backport repositories and allowing them to offer unsupported updates to you through the update manager - you are putting yourself at risk, and if you don't know what your doing in Ultimate Edition or in *nix in general, you could be signing up for a lot of unnecessary head-aches. You won't even know that it has anything to do with the actions that you took in enabling them. You will just think and blame all these issues on Ultimate Edition or *nix in general, but the truth is that you have allowed all these unsupported and not final versions of packages to be installed on your system - and in turn have signed up to be a beta-tester of sorts for Ubuntu.

You have been warned!

DaddyX3
New Edit: The new kernal is now in the regular updates. No need to activate the proposed updates. The kernal is now in regular release.
Zero Prime
Badges? We don't need no stinking badges!
Windows 7 64bit / Ultimate Edition 2.5
AMD Phenom 945 3.0Ghz Quad core
Foxconn A7GM-S AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G HDMI
HIS ATI 4670 1Gig
6GB DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800
Seagate 250gig HD
Thermaltake Xaser V case
Zero Prime
U.E. Master
U.E. Master

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Re: Anyone With Problems, Please Read.

Postby Baphomet » Thu May 08, 2008 6:37 pm

Will this help with the burn and itch of a temporary hemorrhoidal flare up?
I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am...

If it's not broken, you haven't tweaked it enough.

Beginners Guide: Linux 101
Baphomet
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.2 64 BIT

Postby Zero Prime » Thu May 08, 2008 7:09 pm

Cleared mine right up :)
HIS ATI 4670 1Gig
6GB DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800
Seagate 250gig HD
Thermaltake Xaser V case
Zero Prime
U.E. Master
U.E. Master

Postby ranjan » Thu May 08, 2008 8:35 pm

THe update shows around 73mb of data multiple files to be downloaded, do I update all? (I guess so) or any selected file/s I am having problems installing FF extension & cant play any sound with my mp3 files.
Mother Board: Asus P5B-dlx-wifi
CPU: Core2Duo e6300 (2 x 1.86ghz)
Memory: 4gb transcend DDR2
Video Card: XFX 7600GT 256MB
Hard Drives: 160gb SATAII , 250gb SATAII , 320GB SATAII
I'm running XP PRO, Vista Ultimate x64, UE1.8 x64,
ranjan
U.E. Pro
U.E. Pro

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.3 32 BIT

Postby Zero Prime » Fri May 09, 2008 6:07 am

Yes, go ahead and install all the updates. As for the Mp3 files, did you ever click on the update icon? That should have installed the codecs needed.
HIS ATI 4670 1Gig
6GB DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800
Seagate 250gig HD
Thermaltake Xaser V case
Zero Prime
U.E. Master
U.E. Master

Postby LeadFingers » Fri May 09, 2008 7:28 am

Zero Prime wrote:Yes, go ahead and install all the updates. As for the Mp3 files, did you ever click on the update icon? That should have installed the codecs needed.

Did you mean Update Icon or Upgrade Icon?
1st Box: Ultimate Edition 2.0 x64/ 1.8 x64
2nd Box: XP (dusty)
3rd Box: Stable Media box Ultimate Edition 1.8 x64 with XBMC

The Oxen are slow but the Earth is patient ~Chuen~
LeadFingers
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 64 BIT

Postby ranjan » Fri May 09, 2008 7:41 am

Ok Updated all it was around 75mb of data,
but still no mp3 sound, where as the system sound & radio are working fine both the sound card are detected on board & creative live value.

Is there a place where I can check the installed codecs?
Mother Board: Asus P5B-dlx-wifi
CPU: Core2Duo e6300 (2 x 1.86ghz)
Memory: 4gb transcend DDR2
Video Card: XFX 7600GT 256MB
Hard Drives: 160gb SATAII , 250gb SATAII , 320GB SATAII
I'm running XP PRO, Vista Ultimate x64, UE1.8 x64,
ranjan
U.E. Pro
U.E. Pro

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.3 32 BIT

Postby Baphomet » Fri May 09, 2008 11:30 am

Zero Prime wrote:I highly recommend updating to this kernal if you are having troubles.

Having had some additional time to spend running under this new kernel I can only agree. I haven't been having problems (once I got that damn cable thing figured out) with my install, but what a difference. At first blush I was attributing the "speed increase" I was getting to some kind of placebo effect (having just come from my office where I'm forced to use a Dell/XP box).

No... This is no placebo. My machine has NEVER run like this, not this fast. FF is notable in particular: Pages load like I'm changing channels on the TV. Everything has more "snap". I mean seriously, my PC has never, EVER, run any OS this fast. Not even close. I don't know for a fact that it was the kernel update, but something happened, and it started happening after that big bunch of updates I got after enabling the backports.

Baphomet
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby mangurt » Fri May 09, 2008 1:12 pm

Ok, I will show my nOObness and ask, how does one update the kernal. I believe I found a link on the ubuntu forum with instructions on updating, but it only took 10 minutes....
mangurt
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Postby Baphomet » Fri May 09, 2008 1:24 pm

All you would need to do is enable some addtional "repos" in your sources.lst file... Which is easy-peasy.

It also comes with a caveat: By enabling repos for backports and such, the POSSIBILITY exists of downloading updates that are... how would one put it... maybe, possibly, not quite perfect. Personally, I've never had a problem, but it needs to be mentioned. Some of these repos contain "bleeding edge" updates that, in other words, have the potential (I suppose) to cause some stability issues or something. Again, I've never had an issue, but you proceed at your own risk and peril. If you decide to proceed, here's how to enable the additional repos:

First, go to System > Administration > Software Sources.
A dialogue will appear that shows you which repositories are currently enabled. The ones with the checked (or ticked) boxes are enabled. The others are not enabled.
Check (or tick) the unchecked (or unticked) boxes.
Go to the "Third-Party Software" tab and enable everything there too.
Once you do this, you'll be asked to reload the repository information. This allows Ubuntu to see what software is newly available to you. Click Reload.
Then, wait for the information to be reloaded. Once that's done, the window will disappear.
Go to your Update Manager and... Update!

Baphomet
U.E. God
U.E. God

Next

Return to Ultimate Edition 1.8