Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Which repos should be "tacked" permanently? [SOLVED]

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 1.8

Re: Which repos should be "tacked" permanently?

Postby TheeMahn » Tue May 06, 2008 2:06 am

tranz wrote:Got a question.... I did the source.list update and my updater popped up... But I have never seen it with this image before. It has me a little leary... What does this mean? Please see attachment!

Brother, I hate to tell you this & have ran it at least a month (hardy based), I have never seen that.. It is w/o a doubt a new feature in "hardy" What it is tossing a fit over, I am clueless. Let me know if you find out, that is "special" to me, I am in awe when I see something I have not seen before. I pretty much live here ;)

I will say this it does not look like a smiley face, I too would be shocked to see that. Maybe it is fixing to warn you that your burner is failing, even though this is bad news at least it is fixing to tell you, M$ wont do so. I am utterly clueless, let me know if you find out...
Home of Ultimate Edition. Got a question? Please review the F.A.Q. Browse the How to section.

Main O/S: Builder of O/S Guess.
Mainboard: ASUS Hero VI (AM4)
CPU: AMD 1700X water cooled (Deepcool Captain Genome Cooling tower)
Ram: 16 GB GSkill Trident RGB Series Dual Channel DDR4 3200
Video: MSI RX470 8GB Gaming card.
Hard Disks: MASSIVE on the network.(10 Gigabit, 48 port, multiple servers)
Monitors: Dual 4K 43" LG, 4K Samsung 28"
750 Watt modular PSU (Rosswell)
1100 Watt Amp & 4 X 600 Watt speakers

Servers in the basement.
TheeMahn
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition Developer

Postby SaddleTramp » Tue May 06, 2008 2:23 am

TheeMahn wrote:
tranz wrote:Got a question.... I did the source.list update and my updater popped up... But I have never seen it with this image before. It has me a little leary... What does this mean? Please see attachment!

Brother, I hate to tell you this & have ran it at least a month (hardy based), I have never seen that.. It is w/o a doubt a new feature in "hardy" What it is tossing a fit over, I am clueless. Let me know if you find out, that is "special" to me, I am in awe when I see something I have not seen before. I pretty much live here ;)

I will say this it does not look like a smiley face, I too would be shocked to see that. Maybe it is fixing to warn you that your burner is failing, even though this is bad news at least it is fixing to tell you, M$ wont do so. I am utterly clueless, let me know if you find out...

Well, then that makes 2 of us that's seen it...did the same (update source.lst) & saw the same image. I was just figuring it was something new in Hardy or Harty...hmmmmmm...
3 Rules: 1. Research; 2. Read; 3. Repeat 1 & 2
HP Pavilion a1700n; Asus A8M2N-LA; AMD Athlon X2 3800+ 2GHz; 2GB DDR2 PC2-5300 Mem; nForce 430 Chipset
GeForce GT220 1gb PCIE16
Sound Blaster Audigy2
Samsung 250GB SATA, WD 320GB SATA, WD 500GB 'GREEN' SATA
TSST DVDRW 16X DL; ASUS DRW-2014S1 DVDRW/DL 20X
Ultimate Edition 2.4 x64
SaddleTramp
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby drama » Tue May 06, 2008 5:55 am

if you open the updater what happens? im jus taking a stab in the ddark here but maybe it means you cant do a full update. or maybe you have broken packages. idk ive nvr seen it either that i can remember. but its just a thought.
ULTIMATE EDITION 2.5 X64/ARCHLINUX X64 DUAL BOOT
Antec 900two case
3 antec 120mm tri cool blue led fans (1 rear exaust 2 front intake)
1 antec 220mm "bigboy" tri cool blue led fan (top exaust)
Amd Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Am3 Cpu OC'D @ 4.2 Rev C3
MSI NF980-G65 Am3 Socket DDR3 Tri-sli ATX Mainboard
Nvidia 980A Sli Chipset
Corsair 2GB Dual Channel ram (1GBx2) DDR3 @ 1600 MHZ
EVGA Nvidia GTS-250 1GB PCI Express Graphics Card
Lite-On Dual Layer Sata Dvd Burner
3x 1TB Seagate Sata Hdd's 32Mb cache
ASUS VH235 23 Inch Lcd Wide Screen Monitor
OCZ ModXStream Pro 700Watt Psu
Rosewill 3.5" Internal USB 2.0 Card Reader w/ Floppy Drive
drama
U.E. Master
U.E. Master

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Postby SaddleTramp » Tue May 06, 2008 7:43 am

drama1981 wrote:if you open the updater what happens? im jus taking a stab in the ddark here but maybe it means you cant do a full update. or maybe you have broken packages. idk ive nvr seen it either that i can remember. but its just a thought.

I've seen it only twice when updating source list (I do this either under synaptic or software sources). All normal when opening updater. However, it seems maybe Ubuntu Hardy went final to appease the masses since I've been getting on the avg of 6 updates ever since I've installed Hotrod. 1st set of updates I got included a kernal update from xxx.16 to xxx.17. Only entries I have in repo (in synaptic) are the 2 Canonical and Ultimate repo,
and I've yet to top 60KB/s when d/l'ing the updates. Just got 8 more updates while typing this :lol: Top d/l rate was 54 KB/s. So far I'm contributing the slow d/l to their servers being heavy. If I come across anything on the "strange" update symbol I'll let ya know.
HP Pavilion a1700n; Asus A8M2N-LA; AMD Athlon X2 3800+ 2GHz; 2GB DDR2 PC2-5300 Mem; nForce 430 Chipset
GeForce GT220 1gb PCIE16
Sound Blaster Audigy2
Ultimate Edition 2.4 x64
SaddleTramp
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby Nobody » Tue May 06, 2008 7:59 am

TheeMahn wrote:I will let everyone know... Ultimate Edition 1.8 does not include the "ultimate repo", this was indeed an error on my end and the loss of my 500 err 800GB of info, I had to rip Ultimate Edition 1.8 x64 from a disk just to release it.

How to add the Ultimate Edition 1.8 repo (this will also work with the 32 bit edition when released - hopefully will be unnecessary):
Code: Select all
sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list

add to the bottom:
Code: Select all
deb http://repoubuntusoftware.info/ harty all #Ultimate repo

I do not suggest using the eyecandy repo in Ultimate Edition 1.8 x64, until I can iron out the problems with compiz / emerald, I left that one out on purpose believe that. You can also remove automatix from your repo list since hardy is not supported with automatix. I have thought about picking up automatix and re-writing it...

TheeMahn

Thanks you for your answer for a panicked one (me :P) :)
I will disable this eye candy thingy ASAP, and also erase those automatix lines :D

THANK YOU for even considering re-writing of automatics! this is BIG!

*I will try to uninstall emerald / compiz meanwhile. Maybe it will improve stability for my graphics card - I don't think it's Ultimate Edition / hardy fault - I think it's Nvidia's, but hey I am a newbie still :P
Nobody
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.3 32 BIT

Postby DaddyX3 » Tue May 06, 2008 10:07 am

However, it seems maybe Ubuntu Hardy went final to appease the masses since I've been getting on the avg of 6 updates ever since I've installed Hotrod.

That is nothin! You should be thankful, Take a wild guess at how many updates there are with Ubuntu 8.04? try about 200MB worth .... and climbing! Thats right, 200MB! Then go in and install all the apps that TheeMahn has put into it! Do you know or have any idea how much time TheeMahn has saved for all? Its crazy to even think about. I think TheeMahn should get an award from the EPA for making everyone more "green" friendly!!! He has in essence removed cars from the road by saving energy for all by not having to wait and wait and wait for all those updates and software downloads!!
Cheers <BREW> to Mr. TheeMahn for being GREEN!!!
I bet he didn't even know he was .... ;)
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 2.5GHz 45nm/Gigabyte EP35C-DS3R M.B. w/ddr3 1333
G.Skill 2X1GB DDR3 1333MHz/Gigabyte 8800GT PCIe 2.0 512MB GDDR3 OC'd to 700Mhz/ WD160 gig, 2- WD250 gig in RAID-0 (500GB), WD640 gig e-SATA external

AMD 64 X2 3800+/ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe/G.Skill 2X1GB Matched Pair ddr400
/EVGA 6800GS Nvidia Graphics 256MB/WD160gig drive

HTPC Box:AMD 64 X2 4400+/ BIOSTAR TF7050PV HDMI MicroATX/G.Skill 2X1GB /Matched Pair DDR800/Integrated video and audio/WD160gig drive
DaddyX3
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.3 32 BIT

Postby drama » Tue May 06, 2008 11:43 am

SaddleTramp wrote:and I've yet to top 60KB/s when d/l'ing the updates. Just got 8 more updates while typing this :lol: Top d/l rate was 54 KB/s. So far I'm contributing the slow d/l to their servers being heavy. If I come across anything on the "strange" update symbol I'll let ya know.

i feel ur pain. when i first installed i was getting 10-15kbps max. id switch to a different mirror. im currently using one in canada. i cant say which one right off hand because im not at home. ill check it tonight though and post back. i get about 95-110kbps with the one im using. yes it sometimes takes a little longer to connect to the mirror than im used to. but the speed i get more than makes up for that extra few seconds.

maybe even open "software sources" i cant remember exactly where i found it but there is a button that says find fastest or something similar to that. try hitting that once. it will ping each mirror. i think you go to "select mirror" i think thats where the button is.
Antec 900two case
Nvidia 980A Sli Chipset
drama
U.E. Master
U.E. Master

Postby drama » Tue May 06, 2008 1:26 pm

my mistake. guess it wasnt a canada mirror. had the wife mail me the list. im using a usf (university of south florida) mirror right now. a few other fast ones you might try are duke, columbia, and clarkson.

these can be set through system--->admin--->software sources.

here is my current list. the wife says she is getting aver 250kbps with this list.

# deb cdrom:[Ubuntu 8.04 _Hardy Heron_ - Release amd64 (20080423)]/ hardy main restricted
# See http://help.ubuntu.com/community/UpgradeNotes for how to upgrade to
# newer versions of the distribution.

## Major bug fix updates produced after the final release of the
## distribution.

## N.B. software from this repository is ENTIRELY UNSUPPORTED by the Ubuntu
## team, and may not be under a free licence. Please satisfy yourself as to
## your rights to use the software. Also, please note that software in
## universe WILL NOT receive any review or updates from the Ubuntu security
## team.

## multiverse WILL NOT receive any review or updates from the Ubuntu
## security team.

## Uncomment the following two lines to add software from the 'backports'
## repository.
## N.B. software from this repository may not have been tested as
## extensively as that contained in the main release, although it includes
## newer versions of some applications which may provide useful features.
## Also, please note that software in backports WILL NOT receive any review
## or updates from the Ubuntu security team.
# deb http://ftp.usf.edu/pub/ubuntu/ hardy-backports main restricted universe multiverse
# deb-src http://ftp.usf.edu/pub/ubuntu/ hardy-backports main restricted universe multiverse

## Uncomment the following two lines to add software from Canonical's
## 'partner' repository. This software is not part of Ubuntu, but is
## offered by Canonical and the respective vendors as a service to Ubuntu
## users.
deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu hardy partner
deb-src http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu hardy partner

deb http://ftp.usf.edu/pub/ubuntu/ hardy main multiverse restricted universe
deb-src http://ftp.usf.edu/pub/ubuntu/ hardy restricted main multiverse universe #Added by software-properties
deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy-security restricted main multiverse universe
deb-src http://ftp.usf.edu/pub/ubuntu/ hardy-security restricted main multiverse universe
deb http://ftp.usf.edu/pub/ubuntu/ hardy-updates restricted main multiverse universe
deb-src http://ftp.usf.edu/pub/ubuntu/ hardy-updates restricted main multiverse universe
deb http://repoubuntusoftware.info/ harty all #Ultimate Repo
Antec 900two case
Nvidia 980A Sli Chipset
drama
U.E. Master
U.E. Master

Postby SaddleTramp » Tue May 06, 2008 6:32 pm

DaddyX3 wrote:
However, it seems maybe Ubuntu Hardy went final to appease the masses since I've been getting on the avg of 6 updates ever since I've installed Hotrod.

That is nothin! You should be thankful, Take a wild guess at how many updates there are with Ubuntu 8.04? try about 200MB worth .... and climbing! Thats right, 200MB! Then go in and install all the apps that TheeMahn has put into it! Do you know or have any idea how much time TheeMahn has saved for all? Its crazy to even think about. I think TheeMahn should get an award from the EPA for making everyone more "green" friendly!!! He has in essence removed cars from the road by saving energy for all by not having to wait and wait and wait for all those updates and software downloads!!
Cheers <BREW> to Mr. TheeMahn for being GREEN!!!
I bet he didn't even know he was .... ;)

:lol: Yeah,, I know you're right !! Can always be worse type deal. It's slacked off some now and things seem to be smoothing out (with the updates). Even found some more answers thru the forum for other "minor" issues that I really weren't worried about, but figured since everything else was working good I'd go ahead and fix. Hmmmm...think we use to call the "preventative maintenance" !?!? :lol: Old habits huh !?! TheeMahn.....the OS of the Future!!! 8-) :!:
GeForce GT220 1gb PCIE16
Sound Blaster Audigy2
Ultimate Edition 2.4 x64
SaddleTramp
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby SaddleTramp » Tue May 06, 2008 6:39 pm

drama1981 wrote:my mistake. guess it wasnt a canada mirror. had the wife mail me the list. im using a usf (university of south florida) mirror right now. a few other fast ones you might try are duke, columbia, and clarkson.

these can be set through system--->admin--->software sources.

here is my current list. the wife says she is getting aver 250kbps with this list.

# deb cdrom:[Ubuntu 8.04 _Hardy Heron_ - Release amd64 (20080423)]/ hardy main restricted
# See http://help.ubuntu.com/community/UpgradeNotes for how to upgrade to
# newer versions of the distribution.

## Major bug fix updates produced after the final release of the
## distribution.

## universe WILL NOT receive any review or updates from the Ubuntu security
## team.

## multiverse WILL NOT receive any review or updates from the Ubuntu
## security team.

## Uncomment the following two lines to add software from the 'backports'
## repository.
## N.B. software from this repository may not have been tested as
## extensively as that contained in the main release, although it includes
## newer versions of some applications which may provide useful features.
## Also, please note that software in backports WILL NOT receive any review
## or updates from the Ubuntu security team.
# deb http://ftp.usf.edu/pub/ubuntu/ hardy-backports main restricted universe multiverse
# deb-src http://ftp.usf.edu/pub/ubuntu/ hardy-backports main restricted universe multiverse

## Uncomment the following two lines to add software from Canonical's
## 'partner' repository. This software is not part of Ubuntu, but is
## offered by Canonical and the respective vendors as a service to Ubuntu
## users.
deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu hardy partner
deb-src http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu hardy partner

deb http://ftp.usf.edu/pub/ubuntu/ hardy main multiverse restricted universe
deb-src http://ftp.usf.edu/pub/ubuntu/ hardy restricted main multiverse universe #Added by software-properties
deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy-security restricted main multiverse universe
deb-src http://ftp.usf.edu/pub/ubuntu/ hardy-security restricted main multiverse universe
deb http://ftp.usf.edu/pub/ubuntu/ hardy-updates restricted main multiverse universe
deb-src http://ftp.usf.edu/pub/ubuntu/ hardy-updates restricted main multiverse universe
deb http://repoubuntusoftware.info/ harty all #Ultimate Repo

Thanks Drama ! I came across a post where I even think it was you telling someone else about the Software Sources speed fix. Mine ended up being "archive.linux.duke" and I've added Ultimate Repo also. Had already read about the Eyecandy (took it off) and the Automatix deal. Was looking for another way to get the double click back on my Trackball since I don't have Automatix and have decided to just wait to see if Thee is going to take it up. Think it might be a little harder after reading up on XVKBD and XMacro. If worse comes to worse I'll just find another TB that will work on here out-of-the-box. Appreciate the info and sharing your list with me. Ya'll take care and catch ya later <BREW>
GeForce GT220 1gb PCIE16
Sound Blaster Audigy2
Ultimate Edition 2.4 x64
SaddleTramp
U.E. God
U.E. God

PreviousNext

Return to Ultimate Edition 1.8