Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Which repos should be "tacked" permanently? [SOLVED]

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 1.8

Which repos should be "tacked" permanently? [SOLVED]

Postby Nobody » Mon May 05, 2008 5:39 pm

Hello, I have a repository question which the answer on it might seem obvious. Unfortunately, it's not so to me.

Should I enable backports / candidates repository permanently?
Should I enable eye candies (special) repository permanently?

(Note: it seems that effects were never stable on my system for long :( I installed drivers by envyNG. It didn't help. And no, instability was there before I installed, after I installed, and also not only in regard of kernel upgrade... was it a mistake? (Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT, 169.12 IIRC, by auto detection. Boots JUST FINE, resolution and refresh rates are fine, but some crashes of grafical environment / apps, especially when I didn't know better and tried extra, but not only. my system also "doesn't like" gnush and so crashes / slows firefox - no idea why. It is a resource hogger? Also, effect (even normal standard ones) wouldn't stack for long. Emerald ofc I don't even try (*now), based on this.)
I guess this all means I have some graphics problem. BTW, it says on my xorg server version - unknown, 15/04.

I realized before that I had to tack ALL ubuntu 8.04 repo on this release, it seems I was getting it WRONGLY.
Even after upgrade no so long ago, it keeps "wanting" to upgrade my kernel to various strange multiple kernel :P (proposed/candidate) So I figured out I'm doing something wrong here :P (I didn't "let" it do it for now.)

P.S.
I am ready to reinstall if needed, but I am not sure what caused it. I upgraded by icon, and also, I didn't yet, AFAIK, used any candidates / backports packages, and yet I installed all security and normal updates.

Hmm. Could be change in sources.list caused it? I uploaded it before there:
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=948&start=10#p8705
Eh. just thinking. It appeared BEFORE I modified the file. So maybe it's at least ALSO something else, too.

This is not an install on a clean disk, however, It's not an upgrade install, and this OS has its own partitions. (not sharing /home)
Last edited by Nobody on Tue May 06, 2008 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nobody
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.3 32 BIT

Re: Which repos should be "tacked" permanently?

Postby Cab » Mon May 05, 2008 7:00 pm

Just a note from Me I also run a 8800gt And I did the "upgrade" method to play with the 8.04 kernal. Lets just say it fought me all the way. I would suggest a clean install of 1.8 All my problems with emerald etc.. are gone now.
Cab
Mother Board: ASUS ROG CROSSHAIR VII HERO WIFI
CPU: AMD 2700X
Memory: 32GB CORSAIR PRO RGB @3200
Video Card: EVGA GTX1080 FTW
Hard Drives: 1TB Network Drive, 1TB 860 EVO SSD, 1TB 970 EVO M.2
I'm in Southern New Mexico, USA (not Mexico)
Cab
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition Beta Tester

Postby Nobody » Mon May 05, 2008 8:28 pm

Cab wrote:Just a note from Me I also run a 8800gt And I did the "upgrade" method to play with the 8.04 kernal. Lets just say it fought me all the way. I would suggest a clean install of 1.8 All my problems with emerald etc.. are gone now.
Cab

No, I did a clean install, not on a clean hard disc :) I am not experienced enough (actually I am a total newbie, albeit learning.) to even consider 1.7 -> 1.8 upgrade after those warnings :)

I only meant I did the upgrade after I installed as normally done after installing, and that I have 1.7 and xp on disk still. (wiped out Mandriva ahead, BTW :P)

It could have cause troubles, I heard. (grub etc) even if not upgrade from 1.7 (BIG troubles) / sharing home partitions (which some reported it to be problematic)

BTW, I have problems with emerald too. How did you solve it?
Nobody
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Postby Cab » Mon May 05, 2008 8:48 pm

Well I fought a few battles but I blamed my issues on me messing with stuff as so many in here mentioned lol. I was more or less trying to get a preview of 1.8 Nothing official but I had 1.7 ultimate with hardy kernal. I went so far as to totally remove compiz and emerald .. still not sure i got everything. And reinstalled them. Now this was in my custom deal so i'm not saying do that yet. It kinda worked but for example I could not use emerald for nothing , The cube had no caps and there was no skybox. I tried and tried to resolve this best I got was wobbly windows a cube and a few options. Once I started from scratch on a clean hard drive for 1.8 !!! Man this release is nice, Ill admit i was worried since I was having those issues but EVERYTHING works for me now. I will post a screenshot if anyone doesnt believe me but compiz has a benchmark in it. Mind you it will suck your pc's will to live while its running and SLOWELY unloads but I see damn near 2000FPS in 1.8 best I got in 1.7 was 300FPS. We as a whole are still trying to pinpoint what exactly the new kernal is doing reguarding GRUB. Well the Mahn might already know but I ment this as, how to fix or overcome it. I had a Grub on a different hard drive and when i installed 1.8 to this drive it tried to do its own grub. 2 grubs on one pc dont play well. It seems Hardy doesnt properly scan all hardware. Long story short I disco'd all my drives but this one. Installed 1.8 without a hitch, then reconnected my other drives I am now running perfectly. This doesnt help others if you have partitions and using just one drive. I'm sure someoone will chime in if they got around this or we will post a how to shortly since this subject has came up many times now.
Cab
P.S. feel free to edit this admins as I rambled on wayyy to much.
Mother Board: ASUS ROG CROSSHAIR VII HERO WIFI
CPU: AMD 2700X
Memory: 32GB CORSAIR PRO RGB @3200
Video Card: EVGA GTX1080 FTW
Hard Drives: 1TB Network Drive, 1TB 860 EVO SSD, 1TB 970 EVO M.2
I'm in Southern New Mexico, USA (not Mexico)
Cab
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition Beta Tester

Postby TheeMahn » Mon May 05, 2008 9:19 pm

I will let everyone know... Ultimate Edition 1.8 does not include the "ultimate repo", this was indeed an error on my end and the loss of my 500 err 800GB of info, I had to rip Ultimate Edition 1.8 x64 from a disk just to release it.

How to add the Ultimate Edition 1.8 repo (this will also work with the 32 bit edition when released - hopefully will be unnecessary):
Code: Select all
sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list

add to the bottom:
deb http://repoubuntusoftware.info/ harty all #Ultimate repo

I do not suggest using the eyecandy repo in Ultimate Edition 1.8 x64, until I can iron out the problems with compiz / emerald, I left that one out on purpose believe that. You can also remove automatix from your repo list since hardy is not supported with automatix. I have thought about picking up automatix and re-writing it...

TheeMahn
Home of Ultimate Edition. Got a question? Please review the F.A.Q. Browse the How to section.

Main O/S: Builder of O/S Guess.
Mainboard: ASUS Hero VI (AM4)
CPU: AMD 1700X water cooled (Deepcool Captain Genome Cooling tower)
Ram: 16 GB GSkill Trident RGB Series Dual Channel DDR4 3200
Video: MSI RX470 8GB Gaming card.
Hard Disks: MASSIVE on the network.(10 Gigabit, 48 port, multiple servers)
Monitors: Dual 4K 43" LG, 4K Samsung 28"
750 Watt modular PSU (Rosswell)
1100 Watt Amp & 4 X 600 Watt speakers

Servers in the basement.
TheeMahn
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition Developer

Postby DaddyX3 » Mon May 05, 2008 9:48 pm

TheeMahn wrote:I will let everyone know... Ultimate Edition 1.8 does not include the "ultimate repo", this was indeed an error on my end and the loss of my 500 err 800GB of info, I had to rip Ultimate Edition 1.8 x64 from a disk just to release it.

How to add the Ultimate Edition 1.8 repo (this will also work with the 32 bit edition when released - hopefully will be unnecessary):

add to the bottom:

I do not suggest using the eyecandy repo in Ultimate Edition 1.8 x64, until I can iron out the problems with compiz / emerald, I left that one out on purpose believe that. You can also remove automatix from your repo list since hardy is not supported with automatix. I have thought about picking up automatix and re-writing it...

TheeMahn

Thanks for the post TheeMahn. cowboy and I were discussing this earlier and was well aware of it. Didn't know if you wanted to post a global announcement or not. Also, as far as picking up Automatix is concerned, I think that they are working on a automatix3 .... read it somewhere. But in all reality, no real point to it if you know what your looking for, just need the right repository listed in your sources.list and you should be able to pull it from synaptic or apt-get.
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 2.5GHz 45nm/Gigabyte EP35C-DS3R M.B. w/ddr3 1333
G.Skill 2X1GB DDR3 1333MHz/Gigabyte 8800GT PCIe 2.0 512MB GDDR3 OC'd to 700Mhz/ WD160 gig, 2- WD250 gig in RAID-0 (500GB), WD640 gig e-SATA external

AMD 64 X2 3800+/ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe/G.Skill 2X1GB Matched Pair ddr400
/EVGA 6800GS Nvidia Graphics 256MB/WD160gig drive

HTPC Box:AMD 64 X2 4400+/ BIOSTAR TF7050PV HDMI MicroATX/G.Skill 2X1GB /Matched Pair DDR800/Integrated video and audio/WD160gig drive
DaddyX3
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby TheeMahn » Tue May 06, 2008 12:10 am

DaddyX3 wrote:
TheeMahn wrote:I will let everyone know... Ultimate Edition 1.8 does not include the "ultimate repo", this was indeed an error on my end and the loss of my 500 err 800GB of info, I had to rip Ultimate Edition 1.8 x64 from a disk just to release it.

add to the bottom:

I do not suggest using the eyecandy repo in Ultimate Edition 1.8 x64, until I can iron out the problems with compiz / emerald, I left that one out on purpose believe that. You can also remove automatix from your repo list since hardy is not supported with automatix. I have thought about picking up automatix and re-writing it... They sold out... Something I will not do...

TheeMahn

Thanks for the post TheeMahn. cowboy and I were discussing this earlier and was well aware of it. Didn't know if you wanted to post a global announcement or not. Also, as far as picking up Automatix is concerned, I think that they are working on a automatix3 .... read it somewhere. But in all reality, no real point to it if you know what your looking for, just need the right repository listed in your sources.list and you should be able to pull it from synaptic or apt-get.

I do not know if you are aware, but all support for automatix has been clipped from ubuntu (hardy based) ie Ultimate 1.8+. I have thought of picking it up. They sold out, something you ladies and gents never have to worry about here.

And I quote:
The reasons for the exclusiveness are, 1. because Technalign has paid for our server and hosting for the past year and 2. because we can easily work with Technalign's developers.
This is the #1 reason I do not accept money. People offer to pour it my way all the time, I will not accept even a "donation". Ultimately I am here for the people and understand how money corrupts the soul. Sorry burns me up... I would be glad to die broke v/s a sell out.

TheeMahn
Home of Ultimate Edition. Got a question? Please review the F.A.Q. Browse the How to section.

Servers in the basement.
TheeMahn
Site Admin

Postby SaddleTramp » Tue May 06, 2008 12:45 am

TheeMahn wrote:
DaddyX3 wrote:

add to the bottom:

I do not suggest using the eyecandy repo in Ultimate Edition 1.8 x64, until I can iron out the problems with compiz / emerald, I left that one out on purpose believe that. You can also remove automatix from your repo list since hardy is not supported with automatix. I have thought about picking up automatix and re-writing it... They sold out... Something I will not do...

TheeMahn

I do not know if you are aware, but all support for automatix has been clipped from ubuntu (hardy based) ie Ultimate 1.8+. I have thought of picking it up. They sold out, something you ladies and gents never have to worry about here.

And I quote:
The reasons for the exclusiveness are, 1. because Technalign has paid for our server and hosting for the past year and 2. because we can easily work with Technalign's developers.
This is the #1 reason I do not accept money. People offer to pour it my way all the time, I will not accept even a "donation". Ultimately I am here for the people and understand how money corrupts the soul. Sorry burns me up... I would be glad to die broke v/s a sell out.

TheeMahn

And here's the rest of the story ;) :
http://technalign.blogspot.com/

Page 2 ;) :
http://technalign.org/mailman/listinfo/ ... nalign.org

Remembered reading about it to so I hunted it down...
3 Rules: 1. Research; 2. Read; 3. Repeat 1 & 2
HP Pavilion a1700n; Asus A8M2N-LA; AMD Athlon X2 3800+ 2GHz; 2GB DDR2 PC2-5300 Mem; nForce 430 Chipset
GeForce GT220 1gb PCIE16
Sound Blaster Audigy2
Samsung 250GB SATA, WD 320GB SATA, WD 500GB 'GREEN' SATA
TSST DVDRW 16X DL; ASUS DRW-2014S1 DVDRW/DL 20X
Ultimate Edition 2.4 x64
SaddleTramp
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby TheeMahn » Tue May 06, 2008 1:00 am

Site hosting is not the issue.. we have been on a dedicated server for the past 1 year and as part of the Automatix team, I have maintained the server personally. It's obvious that a few thousand dollars have already been spent on this dedicated hosting in the past one year and the bill for that was entirely footed by Technalign Inc (and it continues to be the case).
Apart from what Jared has already mentioned, I personally will not get time to maintain Automatix from hereon. Maintaining Automatix is not trivial and requires not only an extremely good understanding of the Debian package management system and the nitty-gritties of Ubuntu and Debian, but also the willingness to stay up-to-date with all changes that are occurring in this dynamic environment. All this requires a lot of time, expertise and dedication. I for one person, do not have the kind of time required to maintain the AX code. James (who designed the python interface for Automatix2) has similar issues. Jared has already explained his stance. I apologize on behalf of the Automatix team to all our users who feel let down...

Hopefully, a better alternative to Automatix would come up soon.

-Arnie

a few thousand bux and sold out... I will pick it up. No sence in jamming it to all ubuntu users, my, my over a few grand, I have been offered $50000 for just my main site and turned it down. I am here for the long hull. I will get on this tomorrow as far as source code. Will worry about it after that when I have time.

Hopefully, a better alternative to Automatix would come up soon.

he may get his wish...

TheeMahn

Servers in the basement.
TheeMahn
Site Admin

Postby tranz » Tue May 06, 2008 1:17 am

Got a question.... I did the source.list update and my updater popped up... But I have never seen it with this image before. It has me a little leary... What does this mean? Please see attachment!
Attachments
Screenshot.png
tranz
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.4 64 BIT

Next

Return to Ultimate Edition 1.8