Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Can't Get Out of the Gate w/v1.8 64 bit...

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 1.8

Re: Can't Get Out of the Gate w/v1.8 64 bit...

Postby TheeMahn » Mon May 05, 2008 4:19 am

I have burned multiple copied of Ultimate Edition 1.8, they drop by to grab them regularly, I have a story for Ultimate Edition 1.8, my girlfriend threw "the final build" that disk (only copy in the morning) as I uploaded it to you. I would be screwed otherwise. Enjoy it. I think that disk should be on the wall...

TheeMahn
Home of Ultimate Edition. Got a question? Please review the F.A.Q. Browse the How to section.

Main O/S: Builder of O/S Guess.
Mainboard: ASUS Hero VI (AM4)
CPU: AMD 1700X water cooled (Deepcool Captain Genome Cooling tower)
Ram: 16 GB GSkill Trident RGB Series Dual Channel DDR4 3200
Video: MSI RX470 8GB Gaming card.
Hard Disks: MASSIVE on the network.(10 Gigabit, 48 port, multiple servers)
Monitors: Dual 4K 43" LG, 4K Samsung 28"
750 Watt modular PSU (Rosswell)
1100 Watt Amp & 4 X 600 Watt speakers

Servers in the basement.
TheeMahn
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition Developer

Postby Baphomet » Mon May 05, 2008 3:24 pm

Can someone explain what
Code: Select all
all_generic_ide

being added to the kernel line of /boot/grub/menu.lst would do, please?

It seems it may resolve my issue with the DVD drive not wanting to mount but I'm leery of just dumping stuff into my bootloader without knowing what it does/means.

@ TheeMahn: I see you've made good on your threat and Moderator-ized my a-- ... Oh yes, yes indeed. I see what you did there.
I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am...

If it's not broken, you haven't tweaked it enough.

Beginners Guide: Linux 101
Baphomet
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.2 64 BIT

Postby kiwinsn » Mon May 05, 2008 3:44 pm

I have another problem.

Firstly, md5 sum is the same...I burnt at 4x speed...successful.

When I go to boot from it, I get the options screen....I select English, then the first option....then I get the Ultimate Edition boot screen with the moving line....then I get booted out to BusyBox with a cursor flashing at [initramfs]

Can anyone help me here??

Cheers
System:
Specs to come.
Registered Linux user number: 542342
kiwinsn

Operating System: Ultimate Edition Beta Tester

Postby cowboy » Mon May 05, 2008 3:50 pm

Baphomet wrote:Can someone explain what
Code: Select all
all_generic_ide

being added to the kernel line of /boot/grub/menu.lst would do, please?

It seems it may resolve my issue with the DVD drive not wanting to mount but I'm leery of just dumping stuff into my bootloader without knowing what it does/means.

@ TheeMahn: I see you've made good on your threat and Moderator-ized my a-- ... Oh yes, yes indeed. I see what you did there.

Best way to explain, here.. https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/22064
"Back up your Data"
"May I never lose the view of a nubie"
"Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man how to fish , he will eat a lifetime"
Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
i5 2500k
3x4G-Skill Ripjaws
MSI GTX 560Ti Hawk..
Seagate 1TB Barracuda
NZXT 850w PS
CM Storm Sniper Case
Evga Superclock CPU Cooler
Mushkin SSD coming soon
http://acowboydave.blogspot.com/
cowboy
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby Baphomet » Mon May 05, 2008 4:12 pm

kiwinsn wrote:I have another problem. ... When I go to boot from it, I get the options screen....I select English, then the first option....then I get the Ultimate Edition boot screen with the moving line....then I get booted out to BusyBox with a cursor flashing at [initramfs] ...

No, that's my problem too. Same-same.

Cowboy: Thanks... Reading now.

[edit]Okay, that explains how to do it but i was hoping for something that would explain what the command does, or prevents from happening. Well, no matter, I'm willing to give it a go. I did burn another DVD to try (different media brand and an uuuuber slow burn... 1X for crying out loud! (louder... no, LOUDER!!!)). Not giving up yet.

THIS JUST IN: I've read from more than one user facing the exact same problem that booting into Hardy using the latest Gutsy kernel solves the problem!!! ... Just more evidence that this IS related to the kernel update.

Damnit... I'm betting I could install using the HH daily build CD I have (the one with the kernel that I KNOW is good (meaning I can boot from a DVD burner)), use TheeMahn's update script and simply decline to install the new kernel headers!!! Would that work??

OR... Would it be possible to install Ultimate Edition 1.8 (I think I could get a good install using the DVD-ROM drive) and then downgrade the default kernel with the one used by Gutsy? There has to be a way...

Baphomet
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby kiwinsn » Mon May 05, 2008 7:09 pm

Excuse the ignorance, but do we have a fix for this??

Cheers
System:
Specs to come.
Registered Linux user number: 542342
kiwinsn

Operating System: Ultimate Edition Beta Tester

Postby Baphomet » Mon May 05, 2008 8:27 pm

Sweet Mary Jane!!!

<cough>

Adding the all_generic_ide to the kernel line did the trick! I got a flawless (and fast!) LiveDVD boot from my DVD burner!!! That's just never happened with a Hardy-based 'buntu before... And good gawd but UE1.8 is fast, even off the DVD.

Talk about a quandry! Do I install?? I really don't want to give up my optical drive ability... Is there someway I can check if the burner is going to mount media or or not while running in a LiveDVD environment??

Seems like I'm teetering on a solution here... Will continue to research things. Any input appreciated!!!

Baphomet
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby DaddyX3 » Mon May 05, 2008 9:01 pm

Baphomet wrote:Sweet Mary Jane!!!

<cough>

Adding the all_generic_ide to the kernel line did the trick! I got a flawless (and fast!) LiveDVD boot from my DVD burner!!! That's just never happened with a Hardy-based 'buntu before... And good gawd but UE1.8 is fast, even off the DVD.

Talk about a quandry! Do I install?? I really don't want to give up my optical drive ability... Is there someway I can check if the burner is going to mount media or or not while running in a LiveDVD environment??

Seems like I'm teetering on a solution here... Will continue to research things. Any input appreciated!!!

If I'm not mistaken (if this is what you mean) you can't use your optical drive that the live session disc is located in while in a live session .... it won't let you take it out. At least mine won't let me take it out.

EDIT: Aaaahhh, I get it now. Your wanting to confirm that your drive will operate and mount media correctly in the installed version of Hardy, checking within the live session.
------my answer..... don't have a clue :lol: But if your working now then I see no reason why it wouldn't work with Ultimate Edition installed. Besides, whats that your signature says??????
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 2.5GHz 45nm/Gigabyte EP35C-DS3R M.B. w/ddr3 1333
G.Skill 2X1GB DDR3 1333MHz/Gigabyte 8800GT PCIe 2.0 512MB GDDR3 OC'd to 700Mhz/ WD160 gig, 2- WD250 gig in RAID-0 (500GB), WD640 gig e-SATA external

AMD 64 X2 3800+/ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe/G.Skill 2X1GB Matched Pair ddr400
/EVGA 6800GS Nvidia Graphics 256MB/WD160gig drive

HTPC Box:AMD 64 X2 4400+/ BIOSTAR TF7050PV HDMI MicroATX/G.Skill 2X1GB /Matched Pair DDR800/Integrated video and audio/WD160gig drive
DaddyX3
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.3 32 BIT

Postby Baphomet » Mon May 05, 2008 9:49 pm

DaddyX3 wrote:... You're wanting to confirm that your drive will operate and mount media correctly in the installed version of Hardy, checking within the live session.

Yes... Exactly.

DaddyX3 wrote:------my answer..... don't have a clue :lol: But if your working now then I see no reason why it wouldn't work with Ultimate Edition installed. Besides, whats that your signature says??????

Are you throwing my own carefully chosen words right back in my own hideous, grotesquely deformed and twisted face while relying almost, if not entirely, on logical deduction and restatement of stated facts??? ARE YOU???

Mmmmm... Yes, <golf clap>... Well played ol' chap. Well played indeed <puffs on pipe>...

So, as I see it, you're saying, in effect that, if I do NOT simply "go for it" <making finger quotes> and install Ultimate Edition 1.8 (64 bit) than I am, in some form or fashion and/or to varying degrees, LESS of a man? That my <finger quotes> FAMILY JEWELS, will, to one degree or another, shrivel up like two raisins in a hot California sun??? That they will, in effect, <finger quotes> "wither on the proverbial vine", as it were?? That I will, for all intents and purposes <finger quotes> "so to speak" -- thusly DIE, cold and lonely?? I mean what with no <finger quotes> CHILDREN to speak of and/or take care of me in what, my <finger quotes> OLD AGE?? HA!!! I think your <finger quotes> STRAW MAN argument has been quite fully... how shall I say it? E X P O S E D for what it <finger quotes> REALLY IS??? That being nothing more than *a travesty of a mockery of a sham of a mockery of a travesty of two mockeries of a sham.

* Scoring: One Baph-O-Point awarded to the first poster who nails the reference!!
Level of Difficulty: Thick Purée
Obstacles: Moderate

Baphomet
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby DaddyX3 » Mon May 05, 2008 9:54 pm

Yes. Go for it or .... well .... what you said ;)
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 2.5GHz 45nm/Gigabyte EP35C-DS3R M.B. w/ddr3 1333
G.Skill 2X1GB DDR3 1333MHz/Gigabyte 8800GT PCIe 2.0 512MB GDDR3 OC'd to 700Mhz/ WD160 gig, 2- WD250 gig in RAID-0 (500GB), WD640 gig e-SATA external

AMD 64 X2 3800+/ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe/G.Skill 2X1GB Matched Pair ddr400
/EVGA 6800GS Nvidia Graphics 256MB/WD160gig drive

HTPC Box:AMD 64 X2 4400+/ BIOSTAR TF7050PV HDMI MicroATX/G.Skill 2X1GB /Matched Pair DDR800/Integrated video and audio/WD160gig drive
DaddyX3
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.3 32 BIT

PreviousNext

Return to Ultimate Edition 1.8