Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Can't Get Out of the Gate w/v1.8 64 bit...

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 1.8

Can't Get Out of the Gate w/v1.8 64 bit...

Postby Baphomet » Sun May 04, 2008 7:18 pm

I was afraid this might happen, and it did. I can't boot the Ultimate Edition 1.8 DVD. Sighhh... This has been a really, REALLY lousy weekend and this just tops it oh so perfectly. The DVD gives me the menu, I hit Enter a couple times, things spin up for a bit and then, suddenly, everything just stops...

So, I reboot, remove "quiet" and kill off the splash-screen from the F6 / Boot Options so I can see what's going on and I find the following error -- which repeats itself about 100 times before dumping me out to BusyBox/Intramfs prompt:

Ultra-DMA 32
End request I/O Error, dev SR0, sec 128
Logical Unit communications CRC error.

Suggestions? Advice?? Yes, the DVD is a good burn. I suppose I could try ripping out the DVD-RW and installing the DVD-ROM again and see if that fixes things, but I was really hoping Ultimate Edition wouldn't let me down in that regard. Ah well... Going to try that now and see what happens. Back in a few...
I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am...

If it's not broken, you haven't tweaked it enough.

Beginners Guide: Linux 101
Baphomet
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.2 64 BIT

Re: Can't Get Out of the Gate w/v1.8 64 bit...

Postby CheesyBeef » Sun May 04, 2008 7:28 pm

Did some looking around. I found that you might need to change DMA mode for the DVDRW in the BIOS to UDMA2 (instead of auto).

Otherwise, unfortunately, I keep seeing that you might need to use a different dvd reader/writer like you said.

Good luck,
Brian
CheesyBeef
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.3 32 BIT

Postby LeadFingers » Sun May 04, 2008 7:54 pm

Baphomet wrote:I was afraid this might happen, and it did. I can't boot the Ultimate Edition 1.8 DVD. Sighhh... This has been a really, REALLY lousy weekend and this just tops it oh so perfectly. The DVD gives me the menu, I hit Enter a couple times, things spin up for a bit and then, suddenly, everything just stops...

So, I reboot, remove "quiet" and kill off the splash-screen from the F6 / Boot Options so I can see what's going on and I find the following error -- which repeats itself about 100 times before dumping me out to BusyBox/Intramfs prompt:

Ultra-DMA 32

Suggestions? Advice?? Yes, the DVD is a good burn. I suppose I could try ripping out the DVD-RW and installing the DVD-ROM again and see if that fixes things, but I was really hoping Ultimate Edition wouldn't let me down in that regard. Ah well... Going to try that now and see what happens. Back in a few...

What format did you burn it on?
The reason I ask, is because Linux (for some unknown reason) doesn't like to play very well with DVD-RW disc
If you burned it to DVD-R or DVD+R never mind the above statement.

What type of DVD burner do you have, Ide or Sata?
There have been issues reported with Sata burners.
It's also been reported (check the main Ubuntu forums) Hardy has a few drive recognition problems,
This may or may not be part of the problem.
Hope you get get it sorted out soon.
1st Box: Ultimate Edition 2.0 x64/ 1.8 x64
2nd Box: XP (dusty)
3rd Box: Stable Media box Ultimate Edition 1.8 x64 with XBMC

The Oxen are slow but the Earth is patient ~Chuen~
LeadFingers
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 64 BIT

Postby TheeMahn » Sun May 04, 2008 7:57 pm

Baphomet wrote:I was afraid this might happen, and it did. I can't boot the Ultimate Edition 1.8 DVD. Sighhh... This has been a really, REALLY lousy weekend and this just tops it oh so perfectly. The DVD gives me the menu, I hit Enter a couple times, things spin up for a bit and then, suddenly, everything just stops...

Ultra-DMA 32

another thing you can try is hit f6 options from live dvd and at the end of the kernel parameter enter:
ide=nodma

This will make installation take a long time, but sounds like your drive is failing..
Home of Ultimate Edition. Got a question? Please review the F.A.Q. Browse the How to section.

Main O/S: Builder of O/S Guess.
Mainboard: ASUS Hero VI (AM4)
CPU: AMD 1700X water cooled (Deepcool Captain Genome Cooling tower)
Ram: 16 GB GSkill Trident RGB Series Dual Channel DDR4 3200
Video: MSI RX470 8GB Gaming card.
Hard Disks: MASSIVE on the network.(10 Gigabit, 48 port, multiple servers)
Monitors: Dual 4K 43" LG, 4K Samsung 28"
750 Watt modular PSU (Rosswell)
1100 Watt Amp & 4 X 600 Watt speakers

Servers in the basement.
TheeMahn
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition Developer

Postby Baphomet » Sun May 04, 2008 8:10 pm

Hey guys... Okay, I'm posting from a LiveDVD scenario at the moment but here's the details...
Still getting lots of errors when using the DVD ROM drive, but I'm here.

Too answer some of the questions asked, DMA mode is already set to "UDMA2" vs. Auto.
I'm burning to known-good media, DVD-R's. I don't even own any DVD-RW media.
Both my DVD-RW drives are PATA. One is a cheap-ass Sony, the other is my beloved Plextor 716A. Both of these are proven-performer drives.
The problem, I can tell you, is Hardy. Somewhere along the line a Kernel Header screwed me and several other people with this problem.

My question though, is this... How, exactly, can I boot from and be working out of a LiveDVD environment, but when I go to Places/Computer and double-click on the DVD Drive shown there, I get an error message that says "Unable to Mount Location... no media in the drive." No media?? What about the DVD that I'm operating off of??

See, I now have the choice of installing Ultimate Edition 1.8 and giving up my optical drive (until a fix is found) or I revert back to Ultimate Edition 1.7 where all was good...

Suggestions??

@ TheeMahn: I'll reboot and try the "ide=nodma" option and see what happens...

Wish me luck!!!

Back soon...

Baphomet
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby LeadFingers » Sun May 04, 2008 8:33 pm

Do you have a little junker drive you could install 1.8 on to see if your problems magically disappear once it's installed? This would tell you a few things, without disposing of your beloved 1.7
1st Box: Ultimate Edition 2.0 x64/ 1.8 x64
2nd Box: XP (dusty)
3rd Box: Stable Media box Ultimate Edition 1.8 x64 with XBMC

The Oxen are slow but the Earth is patient ~Chuen~
LeadFingers
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 64 BIT

Postby Baphomet » Sun May 04, 2008 9:02 pm

Okay, back now. Song remains the same.

Using either DVD-RW drive dumps me out at an Initrmfs (sp?) prompt... And dies there.
Using the DVD-ROM drive I can get get past the hordes of errors but from there the optical drive refuses to mount anything. This is absolutely no different from when I was trying to use plain-vanilla Hardy Heron. I remember using a daily build (from April 14th or so) that was just fine. Then there were some kernel header updates and that's when the fecal matter impacted the rotary oscillator. I still have that build of HH on a CD, too I bet... Anyway, that's the long and short of it.

This is NOT a hardware problem or a "bad burn"; it's a Hefty Hairball problem; I'll guarantee you that.

I'm not going to fight it. This is going to be "The Issue" for some of us lucky ones, that will not be addressed and will just sit out there until the next version of Ubuntu is realeased. Then this "issue" will be resolved, and a new one will take it's place.

If you'll excuse me now, I'm going to go royally rip some furniture movers a new a--hole for the third time today, weep over my lost Moderatorship (it's for the best!) and then proceed to drink steadily, and heavily, for the remainder of the evening. It's been one of "Those" weekends, you see.

Appreciate the assistance everyone!!!

Baphomet
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby cowboy » Mon May 05, 2008 12:39 am

Well all is not lost..congrats..are in order..
"Back up your Data"
"May I never lose the view of a nubie"
"Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man how to fish , he will eat a lifetime"
Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
i5 2500k
3x4G-Skill Ripjaws
MSI GTX 560Ti Hawk..
Seagate 1TB Barracuda
NZXT 850w PS
CM Storm Sniper Case
Evga Superclock CPU Cooler
Mushkin SSD coming soon
http://acowboydave.blogspot.com/
cowboy
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby TheeMahn » Mon May 05, 2008 2:01 am

Baphomet wrote:Okay, back now. Song remains the same.

Using either DVD-RW drive dumps me out at an Initrmfs (sp?) prompt... And dies there.
Using the DVD-ROM drive I can get get past the hordes of errors but from there the optical drive refuses to mount anything. This is absolutely no different from when I was trying to use plain-vanilla Hardy Heron. I remember using a daily build (from April 14th or so) that was just fine. Then there were some kernel header updates and that's when the fecal matter impacted the rotary oscillator. I still have that build of HH on a CD, too I bet... Anyway, that's the long and short of it.

This is NOT a hardware problem or a "bad burn"; it's a Hefty Hairball problem; I'll guarantee you that.

I'm not going to fight it. This is going to be "The Issue" for some of us lucky ones, that will not be addressed and will just sit out there until the next version of Ubuntu is realeased. Then this "issue" will be resolved, and a new one will take it's place.

If you'll excuse me now, I'm going to go royally rip some furniture movers a new a--hole for the third time today, weep over my lost Moderatorship (it's for the best!) and then proceed to drink steadily, and heavily, for the remainder of the evening. It's been one of "Those" weekends, you see.

Appreciate the assistance everyone!!!

my, my you are now a mod, didn't know if you knew that... This board is huge, I hope you can now see that.

Learn, if the problem persists talk to me. I will give you 1 free. most do not need it. You have earned a freebie. Try it on once, you earned it.

TheeMahn
Home of Ultimate Edition. Got a question? Please review the F.A.Q. Browse the How to section.

Main O/S: Builder of O/S Guess.
Mainboard: ASUS Hero VI (AM4)
CPU: AMD 1700X water cooled (Deepcool Captain Genome Cooling tower)
Ram: 16 GB GSkill Trident RGB Series Dual Channel DDR4 3200
Video: MSI RX470 8GB Gaming card.
Hard Disks: MASSIVE on the network.(10 Gigabit, 48 port, multiple servers)
Monitors: Dual 4K 43" LG, 4K Samsung 28"
750 Watt modular PSU (Rosswell)
1100 Watt Amp & 4 X 600 Watt speakers

Servers in the basement.
TheeMahn
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition Developer

Postby babaloo » Mon May 05, 2008 2:42 am

Hi,

First time post, but the problem you are having seems very similar to the problem I had with 1.7. I was able to finally install when I re-burned using a slower speed. I burned the image twice before, and both said the burn was successful, but with same results so as a last ditch effort tried burning it slowly and it worked!
babaloo
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Next

Return to Ultimate Edition 1.8