Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Tweaking Ultimate Edition 1.8

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 1.8

Tweaking Ultimate Edition 1.8

Postby TheeMahn » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:14 pm

This will be written specifically for Ultimate Edition 1.8, which tweaks like a banshee. I will start by copying original Tweaking guide and modifying it... This guide will change drastically. I have learned a tweak un-posted to the best of my knowledge, and sets Ultimate Edition 1.8 off the hook, I boot into the GUI in 7 to 10 secs(and everything still works), I will share the secret. It is highly suggested to steer clear of this guide until complete, at time this statement will vanish. Please stay tuned. This is a huge document, I have been adding to it for months and months as I learn new things performance related. I want to share the wealth. You proceed at your own risk...

This guide is unlike any guide you will find on this forum, this is for the advanced user that really knows what each service etc. they need. BE PRPARED TO RE-INSTALL & DO NOT DO SO ON A PRODUCTION SYSTEM, the end results of successfully navigating this guide is priceless.

Tweaking Ultimate 1.8:

These tweaks are untested in Hardy (proceed at your own risk). These tweaks are written solely for Ultimate Edition 1.8.

Feisty Fawn / Ultimate Edition 1.5 or less users please proceed here.

Disclaimer:

Even though these tweaks, work perfectly fine on my computer; not all computers are the same. Although this "Howto" is written with Ultimate in mind I see no reason why it should not work with Hardy Heron as well. These tweaks work very well for me however, not all computers have the same hardware, for example I have wireless and don't use it, I remove services for wireless a catastrophic event for those that may use wireless (I do point it out), if you overlook something of this magnitude you accept the responsibilities of possibly having to re-install your operating system. I accept no responsibility for any negative effects these tweaks may have on your operating system. To see the true power of this how to, it is suggested that you check the current amount of resources available before and after, I also suggest a tool called bootchart so you can compare boot speed before and after. This tool can be installed with repo, the repo for Ultimate Edition 1.8 is
Code: Select all
deb http://repoubuntusoftware.info/ harty all
this needs to be in your /etc/apt/sources.list
installed with the following command:
sudo apt-get install -y --force-yes bootchart

I thought I would post the results of what these tweaks do for me, first screenshot is boot time with a fresh install Ultimate Edition 1.8 x64 no tweaks applied, second is after applying tweaks on this page. For the first time I am going to post a tweak that will make your boot times go through the roof. I will not list "some tweaks" I do indeed know considered by most websites dangerous. The last shot is my resource usage after being "Super Tweaked" 77MB memory usage in gnome with with system monitor running is quite impressive. Bootchart stores screenshots such as those seen below in /var/log/bootchart.
before tweaking tweaked super tweaked resources super tweaked

I will come back and post screenshots

Before starting it is highly suggested you back up your system sbackup a tool included with Ultimate will backup all of your current settings as well as restore them located System>>Administration>>Simple Backup Config. Those running Hardy Heron sbackup is installable via the terminal:
sudo apt-get install sbackup

By request I am posting my system specs:

AMD 64 X4 Phenom 9600 (quad heatpipe cpu cooler)
MSI K9A2 Platnium Quad crossfire (supports 4 vid cards )
Onboard gigabit lan (cable Internet)
Onboard 8 channel sound; Zenith receiver (1,250 watts), MTX AAL212B speakers (600 watts each)
4 GB GSkill 1066 dual channel DDR (ganged / unganged mode)
2 X ATI 1650 PCIE 512MB each (currently no crossfire support in linux - ATI Suxx)
CMV221D 22" widescreen LCD monitor
1 Sata II 250GB hard drive, 2 X Sata II 320GB hard drives, 2 X Sata II 500GB Raid edition
Wireless Linksys RA-2500 adapter (neighbors Internet) :)
20X DVD burner, 48X external CD burner, 20X DVD Burner
DLink router
Wireless mouse

Services
There are many services in Ubuntu in general, many more then is covered in this "how to", which are Ultimate related. If you feel there may be a possibility that a service maybe something you use; DON'T REMOVE IT, it is better to have a slower functioning operating system then a non-functioning operating system. I will take the time to explain the services related and their functions within the operating system.

There are many tools in Ultimate that allows tweaking, such as but not limited to Services applet, B.U.M (Boot-up Manager), and sysv-rc-conf, all three of these tools will be used to accomplish the task of removing unnecessary services. You can learn about virtually all services here.

Execute your services applet: System>>Administration>>Services
Services Screenshot

Removing Services

anacron - Anacron is a task scheduler similar to cron except that it does not require the system to run continuously. It can be used to run the daily, weekly, and monthly jobs usually run by cron. I disable this service.

atd - atd is a daemon that runs commands scheduled by the "at" program at their scheduled times. Personally I disable this service if I want something ran I run it myself.

apport
- Automated Crash Reporting Tool. I disable this service as well, I will manually report an error if I find one.

bluetooth - Bluetooth device management. Disabled, I don't have any bluetooth devices.

ntp - Clock syncronisation service. Your computers clock once set will take sometimes months to lose a second, for this reason disabled.

klogd - Keyboard logging daemon, keeps a log of your computer activity. I disable this service as well.

sysklogd
- System Keyboard Logging Daemon. as above disabled.

powernowd - Power now daemon. This daemon while it does preform a nice function of running your CPU at a slower speed when idle, keeping it cooler perhaps extending the life of it, I disable it.

mysql - Mysql database server, I do not run an Apache web server, nor do I utilize within any software this service, some may want to keep this service on, I disable it.

mysql-ndb - Managment tool for the above. Disabled.

mysql-ndb-mgm
- Service related to snort (security tool). I have a hardware firewall, I disable this service. Snort is a powerful security tool (intrusion detection system) that is built in to Ultimate. Disabling mysql service will have no effect on this still working. Due to the firewall once again disabled.

nfs-kernel-server - NFS is a file sharing service for networking (windows based), if you wish to share files / folders with networked computers that are windows based leave this service enabled. Even though I have many computers some windows based I disable this service, and enable it if I need to setup such.

samba - Same as above, but for *nix based systems. Disabled for same reason as above.

gdm
- Graphical Display Manager. Under no circumstance should you remove this service, unless you like to do absolutely everything from a terminal. I leave this service enabled.

hdparm
- Hard disk tuning service. This service speeds up hard disk access and is disabled by default, a bug report has been filed. I enable this service.

lm-sensors - Mainboard sensor monitor. This service reports CPU temperature, fan speed etc. to software. I disable this service.

hotkey-setup - This service will attempt to auto-detect your laptop hardware and then configure its hotkeys. If you run a laptop leave this service enabled. I run a desktop computer I disable this service.

avahi-daemon - Multicast DNS Service Discovery. It allows programs to publish and discover services and hosts running on a local network with no specific configuration. For example you can plug into a network and instantly find printers to print to, files to look at and people to talk to. I disable this service most won't want to do this, If I want to add a printer connected to another computer I do so manually.

nessusd
- The Nessus Security Scanner is a security auditing tool. This service is necessary if you wish to see how safe your operating system is from intrusion / attack. After you have tested and are happy with the results. I suggest disabling.

acpid & apmd - These are power management daemons, necessary for a laptop to conserve power. I disable both of these services.

cupsys & hplip - These are damons for controlling printers. I have no printer hooked to this PC, I disable them both.

ssh - Remote shell service. Allows remote control of your computer or transferring of files. I have no need for such a service and find it to be a potential security risk and disable it.

portmap - RPC mapper. Portmap is a server that converts RPC (Remote Procedure Call) program numbers into DARPA protocol port numbers. It must be running in order to make RPC calls. Services that use RPC include NFS and NIS. Under no circumstance should you disable this service.

dbus - simple inter-process messaging system. Do Not disable this service. Just clicking the box will have very undesireable effects. You have been warned.

screen - Terminal multiplexor that runs several separate "screens" on a single physical character-based terminal. Some accessibility apps may require this such as for the blind etc. I disable this service.

apache2 - Apache 2 is a web server, unless you host webpages to the Internet I suggest you disable this service.

Breaking out B.U.M. (Boot-up Manager)

For those of you that run Ultimate this tool is included, those of you that run Feisty Fawn B.U.M. is not included by default, all is not lost it can be installed using the repo from the terminal:
sudo apt-get install -y --force-yes bum

Execute B.U.M.: System>>Administration>>Boot-up Manager
B.U.M. Screenshot

I am not going to re-cover the services mentioned above. I will however cover the ones that show up here that are not on the the list.
acpi-support - If you use a laptop leave this enabled. I disable this service.

bootclean & bootlogd
- Scripts for shutting down and cleaning up the system and a logger. I disable both.

clamav-freshclam
- This is an anti-virus service. Virri currently are not much of an issue in *nix, however it may catch a virus that was executed through wine, if you run windows based software in Ubuntu I suggest you leave this service enabled. I disable this service.

cpufrequtils - This service is used to adjust the speed at which your processor resonates (MHZ, GHZ etc.). If you use a laptop I suggest you leave this enabled. I disable this service.

firestarter - Firewall service. If you do not have a router I suggest you enable this if it is not already enabled. I disable this service.

hddtemp
- Similar to that of lm-sensors, the main exception being it only reports the temperature of your hard disk(s). I disable this service.

laptop-mode
- Fairly self explanatory, if you use a laptop leave it enabled. I disable this service.

mythtv-backend
- This is a daemon that works hand in hand with Myth-TV, if you use MythTV to watch television on your capture card leave it enabled, otherwise disable it.

netapplet
- This is the applet that appears at the top right of your screen and allows changing of networks. If you use wireless I suggest you leave it enabled. Even though I have wireless and Lan line based Internet I disable it and use wired.

preload
- Most won't have this daemon listed unless you have preformed other tweaks listed throughout this "how to". I leave this service enabled.

rsync - Remote sycronisation. If you use USB storage devices, cameras etc. it is best to leave this enabled. I disable this service.

snort
- As explained above a network intrusion detection service. Due to the hardware firewall I disable this service. I have had reports of people loosing their Internet periodically, most likely due to this tool & and hacker trying to break into their system. I feel it is more important to be secure, for those of you that do not like this feature it can be totally removed by the following in a terminal:
sudo apt-get remove --purge snort

sysfstools - Sysfs is a virtual file system in Linux kernel 2.5+ that provides a tree of system devices. I suggest that you leave this service enabled unless you know what you are doing. I disable this service.

timidity
- This daemon allows playing of music as a service, such as the upgrade script uses. I disable this service.

usplash - This is a service that allows for drawing of a splash screen at bootup I leave this enabled.

wifi-radar
- This is for wireless Internet and scans for available wireless connections. If you use wireless leave this service enabled. I disable this service.

wpasuplicant
- Also a wireless service, this service authenticates you to your wireless network. If you don't have wireless disable this service.
Tweaking services: sysv-rc-conf

For those of you that run Ultimate this tool is included, those of you that run Feisty Fawn sys-rc-conf. is not included by default, all is not lost it can be installed using the repo from the terminal:
sudo apt-get install -y --force-yes sysv-rc-conf

Execute sysv-rc-conf from the terminal:
sysv-rc-conf

Screenshot

As said previously I am not going to re-cover the services mentioned above. I will however cover the ones that show up here that are not on the the list. All services covered prior all boxes relating to that service need to be unchecked across the board here as well. This is exactly where I expect to start seeing problems from users, this is an advanced application is not for the weak of heart, you can really TRASH your operating system. If there is any doubt in your mind please goto another section. You have been warned.
binfmt - Support for extra binary formats. This allows files to be recognized by their extension I.E. .exe and launches the appropriate program example wine in this case. Don't touch any runlevel of this service.

brltty - Access software for a blind person using a soft braille terminal. I am not blind so I disable this service.

casper - Casper is a filesystem associated with the live CD / DVD environment, as I have it installed I feel there is no need for it but have yet to try and disable it. I currently suggest leaving it alone.

console-s - I assume initial terminal, leave this alone.

dnsclean
- This flushes your DNS (domain name service) on shutdown. Leave it alone.

halt - Leave as is.

killprocs
- Leave as is.

loopback - Leave as is.

makedev - Leave as is.

module-in$
- Leave as is.

networking
- Leave as is.

pcmcia-uti$ - PCMCIA utilities. Typically used on a laptop. I disable it across the board.

pppd-dns - Point to point protocol daemon. Typically used for dial-up. I disable this.

From here down make no adjustments other then services labeled above. Reboot and see the mass resources now available.

Start-up

There are many programs that start-up when you boot be it Ultimate or Feisty Fawn, some very necessary and other waste valuable system resources. I am going to take the time to cover some of these apps and show you how to stop them.

Execute sessions: System>>Preferences>>Sessions
Sessions Screenshot

Evolution Alarm Notifier - This is a program that runs in the background checking for your email at a predetermined interval, to me useless I check my mail when I want to, especially useless if you don't use Evolution Email client at all.

Network Manager - Allows switching of networks. Some wireless users may want to hesitate on this one however, you can safely remove it as well and if your Internet does not work go back and re-enable.

Power Manager
- Laptop users will want to leave this enabled. Otherwise useless.

Restricted Drivers Manager - Once you have your restricted drives installed useless, this is the little icon that comes up right after you install your restricted drivers.

Update Notifier - This program checks for updates to your operating system periodically. It is highly recommended you leave this checked.

Volume Manager
- This Monitors your sound level. Unless you have no sound card leave this enabled.

Provided I have more time I may come back and update this list with other software that may end up here.

File systems

There is much one can do here to improve overall system performance, some such as hdparm are well beyond the scope of this "How to". I will cover some of the different file systems and benefits to each as well as how to tweak each to get maximum performance. There are further tweaks to get more performance then those listed here but, I will not cover those that present a great risk of data loss.

Filesystems covered:
[*]XFS
[*] EXT3 & EXT2
[*] ReiserFS

XFS

Some may wonder why I'm starting out with XFS when the most popular filesytem is EXT3, while EXT3 is without a doubt a great filesystem, XFS is my favorite for one reason only: Almost no space gets wasted. This is not a factor on a small drive, however as volumes get larger and larger why not get as much use out of that space as possible, this is where XFS shines, as well as RiserFS. Negitives of ReiserFS can be viewed below. I have found no negatives in XFS and have never lost any info using it. I suppose one negative could be said that you can't use it as your root filesystem, this is incorrect but well beyond the scope of this howto.

Tweaking XFS

First we start by diving into the fstab, you can learn more about fstab here. A highly recommended reading.
sudo gedit /etc/fstab

For example you should within the document see similar if you are using XFS: # Entry for /dev/sdb1 : UUID=d672cb0d-5fe6-4bbf-b1b5-6cdb54cef6b5 /media/Storage xfs defaults 0 2

Change the defaults to:
noatime,nodiratime,logbufs=8

Should look similar to: # Entry for /dev/sdb1 : UUID=d672cb0d-5fe6-4bbf-b1b5-6cdb54cef6b5 /media/Storage xfs noatime,nodiratime,logbufs=8 0 2

Put it into immediate effect:
sudo mount -a

XFS Fragmentation

Ok, ok, ok, so this is indeed a negative, EXT3 does not fragment... ;) All people who run Windows have to deal with this (every filesystem in windows fragments), and most that run XFS are unaware that XFS can become fragmented. I am going to show you how to get your XFS in tip top shape, be prepared for alot of coffee, or do it before taking a nap on large partitions. First we need a few tools:
sudo apt-get install xfsdump

Check fragmentation level:
sudo xfs_db -r /dev/[your xfs partition]

You should see a promt that comes up like this: xfs_db>
Enter: frag & hit enter

It should kick you back a series for numbers followed by:
fragmentation factor 5.82%

type: quit & hit enter

Fragmentation factor to keep tip top shape should not be allowed to exceed 10%. When it does be prepared to spend some time waiting while it defragments. This fortunately does not happen often, I defrag at best once a month, and my system is under a nearly constant load (building Ultimate) as far as hard disks are concerned. If you need to defrag your hard drive the following command needs to be issued:
sudo xfs_fsr -v /dev/[your xfs partition]

EXT3 & EXT2

The ext3 or third extended filesystem is a journalled file system that is commonly used not just in Ubuntu but virtually all *nix operating systems, perhaps the most commonly used broadbased. I am not going to get into the disadvantages of ext2 or ext3. I am however, going to point you in the right direction to speed it up.

Tweaking EXT2 & EXT3

Ubuntu Linux as well as Ultimate Edition, unless you have set it up otherwise, uses the EXT3 system by default. There are 3 journaling methods for EXT3 system:

[*] Journal Data Writeback
[*] Journal Data Ordered
[*] Journal Data

By default "journal data ordered". In data=ordered mode, ext3 only journals metadata, but it logically groups metadata and data blocks into a single unit called a transaction. When it's time to write the new metadata out to disk, the associated data blocks are written first. In general, data=ordered ext3 filesystems perform slightly slower than data=writeback filesystems, but significantly faster than their full data journaling counterparts.

We are here to speed things up right? Lets get to work. First we are going to change it to data=writeback.
1. Open your Grub boot menu:
sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

Look for the Defoptions and Altoptions and make them look like the entry below.
# defoptions=quiet splash rootflags=data=writeback # altoptions=(recovery mode) single rootflags=data=writeback

2. You need to update your Grub since you have altered it.
sudo update-grub

3. We now need to update our fstab as it will now be expecting to see these options enabled.
sudo gedit /etc/fstab

I feel a pause in explaination is in order I do not want to hear people complaing because they modified the wrong line. First we are going to use my fstab as an example:
theemahn@SledgeHammer:~$ cat /etc/fstab # /etc/fstab: static file system information. # # -- This file has been automaticly generated by ntfs-config -- # # <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass> proc /proc proc defaults 0 0 # Entry for /dev/sda1 : UUID=b8140b4f-6e00-4b19-91a6-d515775635d6 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1 # Entry for /dev/sdc1 : UUID=e40bbaf0-d685-4727-a3bc-2e9d92d50cf9 /media/BigMac xfs noatime,nodiratime,logbufs=8 0 2 # Entry for /dev/sda2 : UUID=2C086CC7086C919E /media/Junk ntfs-3g defaults,locale=en_US.UTF-8 0 1 # Entry for /dev/sdb1 : UUID=d672cb0d-5fe6-4bbf-b1b5-6cdb54cef6b5 /media/Storage xfs noatime,nodiratime,logbufs=8 0 2 # Entry for /dev/sda3 : UUID=6093670d-a472-4e9a-8476-c48f7142ed9f none swap sw 0 0 /dev/hdc /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0 theemahn@SledgeHammer:~$

We are looking for "defaults,errors=remount-ro". We want to change this to:
defaults,errors=remount-ro,data=writeback,noatime

So using the example fstab above should look like this:
theemahn@SledgeHammer:~$ cat /etc/fstab # /etc/fstab: static file system information. # # -- This file has been automaticly generated by ntfs-config -- # # <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass> proc /proc proc defaults 0 0 # Entry for /dev/sda1 : UUID=b8140b4f-6e00-4b19-91a6-d515775635d6 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro,data=writeback,noatime 0 1 # Entry for /dev/sdc1 : UUID=e40bbaf0-d685-4727-a3bc-2e9d92d50cf9 /media/BigMac xfs noatime,nodiratime,logbufs=8 0 2 # Entry for /dev/sda2 : UUID=2C086CC7086C919E /media/Junk ntfs-3g defaults,locale=en_US.UTF-8 0 1 # Entry for /dev/sdb1 : UUID=d672cb0d-5fe6-4bbf-b1b5-6cdb54cef6b5 /media/Storage xfs noatime,nodiratime,logbufs=8 0 2 # Entry for /dev/sda3 : UUID=6093670d-a472-4e9a-8476-c48f7142ed9f none swap sw 0 0 /dev/hdc /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0 theemahn@SledgeHammer:~$

4. Kicking it all into gear:
sudo tune2fs -o journal_data_writeback /dev/yourdrive

ReiserFs

ReiserFS is a great filesystem, and like XFS has very little waste of space in partitioning. The Major disadvantage as I see it and have used to use it on 2 320GB Sata II drives is added boot time, it added 22 secs to my boot time for each drive!!! I have suffered data loss using reiser, but was able to recover all my data using their tools. All of this was a long time ago when using Dapper Drake perhaps it has improved since then. Nuff said time to tweak.

Tweaking ReiserFS

First we start by diving into the fstab, you can learn more about fstab here. A highly recommended reading.
sudo gedit /etc/fstab

For example you should within the document see similar if you are using reiserfs: /dev/hdc1 /home reiserfs defaults 0 0

Before I continue I feel it is best to talk about the notail option. In ReiserFS lingo, "tails" are files that are smaller than a filesystem block (4k) or the trailing portions of files that don't quite fill up a complete filesystem block. This option gives you the best performance at a cost to to space, using this option the drive will consume approximately 5% more space then normal. When a filesystem is mounted with this option, tail packing will be turned off, giving you greater speed and less storage capacity. No atime is an option that turns off time / date file & directory stamping. We are here for speed right? So we replace "defaults" with:
/dev/hdc1 /home reiserfs noatime,notail 0 0

Set it in immediate motion:
sudo mount -a

Tweaks you can really feel

I am not saying the tweaks in sections above if all preformed will not make your system snappy the best case scenario is to do them all, most people don't want to spend the time necessary to read a document as large as this one, let alone preform all the tasks involved. Can you imagine how long it took me to write it? I wrote this section as a biggest bang for the buck kinda thing. There is only 3 tweaks listed in this section and only takes a minimum time to preform, however the results are amazing.

Swapiness

The default value for vm.swappiness is 60 in both Ultimate and Feisty Fawn. This is how your swap partition is used, depending on the amount of system ram you have you may wish to set a lower value. Setting a value of 0 does not disable the swap partition but instead makes it so it is only used when system memory has ran out first. If you wish to see what the current value is it can be done from a terminal:
sysctl -q vm.swappiness

To set the value:
sudo sysctl vm.swappiness=0

If you would like this tweak to be initialized on each boot up this can be done by:
sudo gedit /etc/sysctl.conf

Add the line
vm.swappiness=0

Preload

Preload, preloads as the name says most commonly used libs and applications, it doe not increase boot speed as some may like to think. The end results are faster start-up times on your commonly used applications.
From a terminal:

sudo apt-get install preload

Grub Option Profile

I have saved the best for last, although when you preform this tweak it will slow down boot-up time the first time. It will speed it up for the next boot. This tweak will optimize the hard disk for the loading of drivers etc. for the next boot, similar to that of the windows world bootvis tool. Please note: if you upgrade your kernel / restricted drivers you will have to preform this tweak again to get it back up to par.

Hit the escape hey when booting to get to the grub menu. Select your default boot kernel and hit the "e" key Go down 1 should be you kernel options hit the "e" key again, at the end of the line type "profile" & press enter. Hit the "b" key to boot with the options set. Will be slow the first time, however the boot after that will be speed you can really feel.

Bonus Speed Tweak - 09/04/07

THIS WILL MESS UP SYSTEMS THAT RUN GUSTY BASED UBUNTU BE IT ULTIMATE OR OTHERWISE (works in Ultimate Edition 1.8)

I thought I would post a "Bonus" tweak for all those with dual core CPU's. This tweak will allow processes to be loaded concurently allowing better utilization of dual core CPU's on boot up, without further adieu.
Open a terminal:
sudo gedit /etc/init.d/rc

Scroll down until you see:

CONCURRENCY=none

and replace with:

CONCURRENCY=shell

Pulling out all the stops
Unless you "really" know what you are doing, I really would not suggest continuing any futher.

I completely purge services from my system I do not use, the printer for example, this also includes wireless services. The following will be continiued, stay tuned for a command that "really" wakes up your computer, boot speeds as well as system resources.

Printer services:
sudo apt-get remove --purge cupsys cupsys-client cupsys-common hplip-data system-config-printer-gnome system-config-printer-common

No Laptop here:
sudo apt-get remove --purge acpi-support hotkey-setup

Tracker Search tool (resource hogg):
sudo apt-get remove --purge tracker tracker-search-tool

Bluez (no Bluetooth here):
sudo apt-get remove --purge bluez-audio bluez-gnome bluez-utils

Apport & brltty (I can report my own crashes & I am not blind):
sudo apt-get remove --purge apport apport-gtk brltty*

This will be continued...

Enjoy!!!

Questions? Comments? Suggestion to add something feel free to contact me on the forums.

Best regards,

TheeMahn

This can be viewed in HTML here.
Home of Ultimate Edition. Got a question? Please review the F.A.Q. Browse the How to section.

Main O/S: Builder of O/S Guess.
Mainboard: ASUS Hero VI (AM4)
CPU: AMD 1700X water cooled (Deepcool Captain Genome Cooling tower)
Ram: 16 GB GSkill Trident RGB Series Dual Channel DDR4 3200
Video: MSI RX470 8GB Gaming card.
Hard Disks: MASSIVE on the network.(10 Gigabit, 48 port, multiple servers)
Monitors: Dual 4K 43" LG, 4K Samsung 28"
750 Watt modular PSU (Rosswell)
1100 Watt Amp & 4 X 600 Watt speakers

Servers in the basement.
TheeMahn
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition Developer

Re: Tweaking Ultimate Edition 1.8

Postby maxim » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:37 pm

Excellent post man! I was wondering what all of the services did since there are never any descriptions of any of them! I think you got these two backwards though:

nfs-kernel-server - NFS is a file sharing service for networking (windows based), if you wish to share files / folders with networked computers that are windows based leave this service enabled. Even though I have many computers some windows based I disable this service, and enable it if I need to setup such.

samba - Same as above, but for *nix based systems. Disabled for same reason as above.
maxim
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Postby TheeMahn » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:20 pm

maxim wrote:Excellent post man! I was wondering what all of the services did since there are never any descriptions of any of them! I think you got these two backwards though:

I purged them both to get the 7 sec boot-up time (i don't connect to computers in this house they look for me 1.8 TB as you understand with 3 750's remote, your situation slightly different), like I said and mean it, this howto is not to be taken light hearted it will be the tweak all of tweak all, I am sure since you said that, you will do fine. None the less be prepared to re-install. I would love nothing more then to let the cat out of the bag and tell you exactly what I did to make that happen. I remind you I do not boot from raid and no fs tweak applied, probably could cut it down to 5 secs to GUI, unheard of in a non raid situation, minus solid state perhaps. Stay tuned. Keep an eye on this thread and please feel free to do as you have done comment.

You are correct in what you brought to my attention, I am sure I have pissed many off with that... I have many howto's on this forum and that is #1 viewed even though I shoved it to the bottom. BOLD statements are overlooked here, the "quest" for power, over rules all.

TheeMahn
Home of Ultimate Edition. Got a question? Please review the F.A.Q. Browse the How to section.

Servers in the basement.
TheeMahn
Site Admin

Postby TheeMahn » Mon May 05, 2008 8:14 pm

strider5236 wrote:Great post TheeMahn, I will be using this a little later when I find some time. I was wondering how you find the time to do what it is that you do so well? You must have mini me's running around doing all those task's. :lol:
Or maybe you got your hands on some cloning tech and there are really multiple TheeMahn's frantically working day and night, because that's the only way I can see you doing as much as you do. :D

Anyway, how ever you do it, keep it up, because we all love your work. ;)

Thank you, I just added a bit to it we are starting to work our way to really cracking the whip.. or re-installing ;)

Servers in the basement.
TheeMahn
Site Admin

Postby tbird » Sat May 24, 2008 9:38 pm

Thank you for post. I set myself a challenge to try to emulate your good work and see if I can do it myself from standard 8.04.
The things I have learned are amazing and so far so good.
Nec hostium timete, nec amicum reusate.
Fear no enemy, deny no friend.
tbird
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.3 32 BIT

Return to Ultimate Edition 1.8