Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

see thru windows?

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 1.8

see thru windows?

Postby dor14bur » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:56 pm

First off, I am a complete noob, so be gentle. I installed my first distro last week and found info on ultimate on the web. It looked intriguing, so I gave it a try. Needless to say, I'm hooked. Just two problems though...

1. Everytime I try to install the gamers edition, it sticks on America's Army. Eventually (5-6 hours later) the install skips straight to clean up and after the restart, nothing has changed. I have tried at least five clean installs, but to no avail. I am running Ultimate 1.8- 64 bit edition.

2. After taking a break from trying to get Gamers Edition working, I have tried a few of the games, and without fail, on all of them I can see the entire desktop through the main game window. Its almost like the game is on tracing paper in front of the desktop. Any suggestions?

Last thing, is there anywhere that I can go that will give me some step by step tutorials on getting around in this new OS? I need things like working in the terminal, how to install apps, and dealing with the kernel (what is the kernel anyway- told ya, uber noob).

If it helps, I'm running a Phenom 9600 on a Gigabyte 570 SLI mobo, 2 gb DDR2-800, 2- 8800 GTS graphics boards, and a x-fi extreme gamer (which I can't use until I learn a little more). I'm still using Windows for gaming but so far I'm wanting to run everything else on Ultimate Edition. I just need more knowledge.

Thanks for any help!
dor14bur
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.3 32 BIT

Re: see thru windows?

Postby DaddyX3 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:21 am

First off - Welcome aboard!!!
I'm not going to claim that I know the answers to all your problems, but I might be able to give you a few tips on what to look for or where to look.

1) Your issues with the update process could be caused by issue that was in 1.8 a bad update script that wiped out your sources.list or at least some of it. First what you will need to do is post it back here and I'll see what it looks like. To do this, click on Applications>>Accesories>>Terminal and at the command prompt enter the following:
Code: Select all
gedit /etc/apt/sources.list

Then select all the text /copy and paste it back here for me to check out.

2) This might be an issue of a compiz setting that has gotten messed up. Open up compiz-config-settings-manager by hitting ALT+F2 and entering:
Code: Select all
ccsm

Then look around through all the settings (I'm sorry I can't get you straight there, but I'm no compiz pro)
You will need to look at opacity settings on windows and .... well..... pretty much everywhere in there. It has a lot of options to adjust, so be careful. And remember that with the ccsm utility, the settings show up instantly so you don't have to exit and come back in to see what the changes did..... change one thing at a time and then undo them if it didn't fix your problem.

3) Best spot in here is Newbies Corner which should be right up your alley. Another good spot is the FAQ section and the How-To section. If you have specific questions about your settings or other issues, we do have a compiz section and of course the 1.8 section.

btw- looks like a pretty nice setup you got there! ;)
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 2.5GHz 45nm/Gigabyte EP35C-DS3R M.B. w/ddr3 1333
G.Skill 2X1GB DDR3 1333MHz/Gigabyte 8800GT PCIe 2.0 512MB GDDR3 OC'd to 700Mhz/ WD160 gig, 2- WD250 gig in RAID-0 (500GB), WD640 gig e-SATA external

AMD 64 X2 3800+/ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe/G.Skill 2X1GB Matched Pair ddr400
/EVGA 6800GS Nvidia Graphics 256MB/WD160gig drive

HTPC Box:AMD 64 X2 4400+/ BIOSTAR TF7050PV HDMI MicroATX/G.Skill 2X1GB /Matched Pair DDR800/Integrated video and audio/WD160gig drive
DaddyX3
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby deate » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:42 pm

Daddy forgot his own good link...called "Quick Links"...subforum to ??General Discussion :D
deate
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.0 Lite

Postby DaddyX3 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:25 pm

deate wrote:Daddy forgot his own good link...called "Quick Links"...subforum to ??General Discussion :D

LOL! :oops: :oops:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 2.5GHz 45nm/Gigabyte EP35C-DS3R M.B. w/ddr3 1333
G.Skill 2X1GB DDR3 1333MHz/Gigabyte 8800GT PCIe 2.0 512MB GDDR3 OC'd to 700Mhz/ WD160 gig, 2- WD250 gig in RAID-0 (500GB), WD640 gig e-SATA external

AMD 64 X2 3800+/ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe/G.Skill 2X1GB Matched Pair ddr400
/EVGA 6800GS Nvidia Graphics 256MB/WD160gig drive

HTPC Box:AMD 64 X2 4400+/ BIOSTAR TF7050PV HDMI MicroATX/G.Skill 2X1GB /Matched Pair DDR800/Integrated video and audio/WD160gig drive
DaddyX3
U.E. God
U.E. God

Return to Ultimate Edition 1.8