Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

only 2 sides allowed on cube?

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 1.8

only 2 sides allowed on cube?

Postby sgtslwilson » Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:45 am

Hi guys,

Of course, noob here...I really liked the layout and I wanted to try Ultimate Edition. Been in Linux about a week now.

However, now that I have Ultimate Edition installed it on my hdd I went to Compizconfig and then clicked on the "general" tab...I set my desktop horizontal virtual side to 4. HOWEVER, it keeps snapping back to 2...nothing I do will get it off of 2.

I don't get it. I had the cube with regular Hardy+Compiz and it worked well. Now it just wont let me have any more than 2 screens. I have the Intel 945 chipset if that has anything to do with it.

Any help?
Thanks
sgtslwilson
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.2 64 BIT

Re: only 2 sides allowed on cube?

Postby Baphomet » Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:19 am

Enabling the "Rotate Cube" option in the Compiz Config Settings Manager is a good idea too.
I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am...

If it's not broken, you haven't tweaked it enough.

Beginners Guide: Linux 101
Baphomet
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby sgtslwilson » Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:14 pm

first, thank you guys for the quick reply, however, my problem persists.

I went under System>>Preferences>>Appearance>> and checked the "enable visual effects button but it returned the message "Desktop effects could not be enabled".

I got rid of Windows a week ago so this is the only OS on my hard drive so I'm sticking with it. I think the whole concept is a wonderful idea and so far up to this point everything has been great.

Am I missing something or should I go back to regular Ubuntu? I really like Ultimate Edition so I'm hoping we can fix this.'

Thanks in advance,
Lance
sgtslwilson
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby sgtslwilson » Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:14 pm

Baphomet wrote:Enabling the "Rotate Cube" option in the Compiz Config Settings Manager is a good idea too.

I had already done that. Thanks though.

Lance
sgtslwilson
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby vinca » Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:38 pm

sgtslwilson wrote:
Baphomet wrote:Enabling the "Rotate Cube" option in the Compiz Config Settings Manager is a good idea too.

I had already done that. Thanks though.

Lance

okay, have you enabeled the compiz fusion icon in applications>system tools>compiz fusion icon?

also, when that is enabled, right click, go to select window manager, and select Compiz. if it is already selected, click reload window manager. then see if you can enable desktop effects.

as Angel said, i'll put it in a little more detail, you can change the # of desktops by right clicking on the top/bottom panel, clicking add to panel, and then searching for "workspace switcher". then click and drag it onto the panel (top or bottom) and it should show up with two squares. right click on any of the squares, and select preferences. then, change the horizontal number to four, and click close. see if this gives you a cube.

sorry if you've already tried this.

<BREW>
Vinca... aka BIG V

http://www.scienceprousa.com
Specs:
4gb ddr2 667 ram
Intel Core2Duo E6300 oced to 2.2 ghz
Radeon x1600
Arctic cooling freezer 7 pro
2x 250 gb western digital hard drives soon to be in raid
all on ULTIMATE EDITION!!!!

~Energy and persistence conquer all things~ -Ben Franklin
vinca
U.E. Master
U.E. Master

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby sgtslwilson » Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:13 pm

Somehow I was able to get 3 desktops but it still wont allow me to use 4. I get a three dimensional triangle which I can rotate, which is still pretty cool....but still no cube.

I have all the settings like you told me. The only way I could get the triangle was by using GTK theme manager and using Compiz for my window manager.

If you can think of anything else I'll certainly try it. In the meantime I am downloading Ultimate Edition 1.9 and hopefully this will clear things up.

Lance
sgtslwilson
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby SaddleTramp » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:18 am

sgtslwilson wrote:first, thank you guys for the quick reply, however, my problem persists.

I went under System>>Preferences>>Appearance>> and checked the "enable visual effects button but it returned the message "Desktop effects could not be enabled".

I got rid of Windows a week ago so this is the only OS on my hard drive so I'm sticking with it. I think the whole concept is a wonderful idea and so far up to this point everything has been great.

Am I missing something or should I go back to regular Ubuntu? I really like Ultimate Edition so I'm hoping we can fix this.'

Thanks in advance,
Lance

Howdy sarge and Welcome to Ultimate Edition!! What video drivers are you using and how did you load them??
3 Rules: 1. Research; 2. Read; 3. Repeat 1 & 2
HP Pavilion a1700n; Asus A8M2N-LA; AMD Athlon X2 3800+ 2GHz; 2GB DDR2 PC2-5300 Mem; nForce 430 Chipset
GeForce GT220 1gb PCIE16
Sound Blaster Audigy2
Samsung 250GB SATA, WD 320GB SATA, WD 500GB 'GREEN' SATA
TSST DVDRW 16X DL; ASUS DRW-2014S1 DVDRW/DL 20X
Ultimate Edition 2.4 x64
SaddleTramp
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby sgtslwilson » Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:18 am

Hey fellas. I'm glad to say I'm back and thank you for the welcome. My problem is solved! The reason I was gone for so long is because I downloaded and upgraded to version 1.9. Everything works now as it should. Yay!

I appreciate the help and I look forward to this new OS! For starters I went to Books-a-million today and purchased "The Official Ubuntu Book" third edition. I hope this helps me get up to speed a little bit.

I also swung by Best Buy today and piced up an Acer Aspire One. Don't know if you fellas have heard of them but it is tiny. Comes installed with XP but I plan on dual booting...Xubuntu with it I think....cuz its less demanding on resources...(right?).

Anyway, thanks for the warm welcome and the help.

Lance
sgtslwilson
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby SaddleTramp » Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:13 am

sgtslwilson wrote:Hey fellas. I'm glad to say I'm back and thank you for the welcome. My problem is solved! The reason I was gone for so long is because I downloaded and upgraded to version 1.9. Everything works now as it should. Yay!

I appreciate the help and I look forward to this new OS! For starters I went to Books-a-million today and purchased "The Official Ubuntu Book" third edition. I hope this helps me get up to speed a little bit.

I also swung by Best Buy today and piced up an Acer Aspire One. Don't know if you fellas have heard of them but it is tiny. Comes installed with XP but I plan on dual booting...Xubuntu with it I think....cuz its less demanding on resources...(right?).

Anyway, thanks for the warm welcome and the help.

Lance

You're quite welcome Sarge...as Angel said, anything else we can do for ya just give a holler :D 8-)
3 Rules: 1. Research; 2. Read; 3. Repeat 1 & 2
HP Pavilion a1700n; Asus A8M2N-LA; AMD Athlon X2 3800+ 2GHz; 2GB DDR2 PC2-5300 Mem; nForce 430 Chipset
GeForce GT220 1gb PCIE16
Sound Blaster Audigy2
Samsung 250GB SATA, WD 320GB SATA, WD 500GB 'GREEN' SATA
TSST DVDRW 16X DL; ASUS DRW-2014S1 DVDRW/DL 20X
Ultimate Edition 2.4 x64
SaddleTramp
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby Baphomet » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:17 am

sgtslwilson wrote:Hey fellas. I'm glad to say I'm back and thank you for the welcome. My problem is solved! The reason I was gone for so long is because I downloaded and upgraded to version 1.9. Everything works now as it should. Yay!

Of course it does. 1.9 fixes everything. That leak in your basement? Fixed. Your erectile dysfunction? Fixed. Your cat is also now... "fixed".

sgtslwilson wrote:I also swung by Best Buy today and piced up an Acer Aspire One. Don't know if you fellas have heard of them but it is tiny. Comes installed with XP but I plan on dual booting...Xubuntu with it I think....cuz its less demanding on resources...(right?).

I'll expect a full review by 2200 hours, Wednesday. Those Acer's are pretty sweet. And the XP version comes with hard drive, right (vs. the 8GB solid state)? You've done well. Those are some pretty sexy subs. And if there's one thing I know about it's sexy subs. Sub compacts that is is...

Angel wrote:Glad you got it all working... 1.9 is a dream to use... and break LOL...

Oh, Angel... You're not breaking things already are you??? This is why we can't have nice things...

Does somebody need a Hooter Squee...uuuhhhh ... I mean a HUG???
I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am...

If it's not broken, you haven't tweaked it enough.

Beginners Guide: Linux 101
Baphomet
U.E. God
U.E. God

Next

Return to Ultimate Edition 1.8