Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

1.8 x32 problem install on Toshiba Satilite with Vista

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 1.8

1.8 x32 problem install on Toshiba Satilite with Vista

Postby moshe » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:37 pm

I recently attempted to set up a dual boot on a new Toshiba Satilite (AMD turon 64x2, 200GB , 3GB ram,ATI Radion video). To ensure a lack of problems on the install, I did a volume shrink on the vista drive and freed up 34 GB on the c drive (now marked as E:)I attempted several times to install ultimate only to have the busybox error pop up. This seemed to occur when the boot attempted a modprobe. I was unable to proceed with the install but WAS able to install 8.04 Ubuntu with no problems. As I am still a noob with ultimate, I am unsure why this issue occurred. The owner of the laptop is a friend and would still like to install Ultimate. I did not have the x64 version with me at the time but do have it. I have not heard anyone say they could not install the x86 version on a x64 system but this might be Toshiba BIOS issues. Any advice? thx, Moshe

PS...I am sure of the integrity of the install disk as I use this disk to install on systems at the shop. It worked on a desktop system the day after the failed attempt on the laptop.
MSI Motherboard Dual core P4 3.0 GHz,2GB DDR ram,Nvidia GeForce FX 256 MB,WD SATA 300 500GBx2 RAID 0,WD 80GB SATA
"If you acquire knowledge,what do you lack?...If you lack knowledge,what have you acquired?
moshe
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.2 64 BIT

Re: 1.8 x32 problem install on Toshiba Satilite with Vista

Postby vinca » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:01 pm

moshe wrote:I recently attempted to set up a dual boot on a new Toshiba Satilite (AMD turon 64x2, 200GB , 3GB ram,ATI Radion video). To ensure a lack of problems on the install, I did a volume shrink on the vista drive and freed up 34 GB on the c drive (now marked as E:)I attempted several times to install ultimate only to have the busybox error pop up. This seemed to occur when the boot attempted a modprobe. I was unable to proceed with the install but WAS able to install 8.04 Ubuntu with no problems. As I am still a noob with ultimate, I am unsure why this issue occurred. The owner of the laptop is a friend and would still like to install Ultimate. I did not have the x64 version with me at the time but do have it. I have not heard anyone say they could not install the x86 version on a x64 system but this might be Toshiba BIOS issues. Any advice? thx, Moshe

PS...I am sure of the integrity of the install disk as I use this disk to install on systems at the shop. It worked on a desktop system the day after the failed attempt on the laptop.

do you get the busybox on the loading screen with the side-to-side bar or after it's booted and you're installing?
Vinca... aka BIG V

http://www.scienceprousa.com
Specs:
4gb ddr2 667 ram
Intel Core2Duo E6300 oced to 2.2 ghz
Radeon x1600
Arctic cooling freezer 7 pro
2x 250 gb western digital hard drives soon to be in raid
all on ULTIMATE EDITION!!!!

~Energy and persistence conquer all things~ -Ben Franklin
vinca
U.E. Master
U.E. Master

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby vinca » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:31 pm

also, here's an idea: try to add some of the following boot parameters to the boot, by pushing f6 while the "start or install ultimate edition" choice is hilighted: add to the end of the line

Code: Select all
irqpoll noacpi noapic noapm nodma nomce nolapic nosmp vga=normal acpi=off
Vinca... aka BIG V

Specs:
4gb ddr2 667 ram
Radeon x1600

vinca
U.E. Master
U.E. Master

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby moshe » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:21 pm

Thanks for the reply, Vinca. I received the error during the loading screen. I believe the modprobe conflicted with the Toshiba BIOS as it uses a proprietary one. I will try the boot options you suggested but will have to talk the owner of the system thru it as he is back on the road (I mostly work on systems for truck drivers). This was my first attempt at a setup on one of the new Toshiba systems. I assume, from the options you suggested, that these will bypass the modprobe and allow the install to proceed. Will give it a try ASAP and post the results. Thanks again for the response, Moshe
MSI Motherboard Dual core P4 3.0 GHz,2GB DDR ram,Nvidia GeForce FX 256 MB,WD SATA 300 500GBx2 RAID 0,WD 80GB SATA
"If you acquire knowledge,what do you lack?...If you lack knowledge,what have you acquired?
moshe
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Postby deate » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:48 pm

moshe wrote:Thanks for the reply, Vinca. I received the error during the loading screen. I believe the modprobe conflicted with the Toshiba BIOS as it uses a proprietary one. I will try the boot options you suggested but will have to talk the owner of the system thru it as he is back on the road (I mostly work on systems for truck drivers). This was my first attempt at a setup on one of the new Toshiba systems. I assume, from the options you suggested, that these will bypass the modprobe and allow the install to proceed. Will give it a try ASAP and post the results. Thanks again for the response, Moshe

Yes, please do post back with the results...I have a Toshiba Satellite I would like to install on, but will wait to see if your results are successful
deate
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.0 Lite

Postby moshe » Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:13 pm

I spoke to the owner of the Toshiba system and we will try to do the install of 1.8 this next week. He is a bit nervous about trying the install himself but I told him to get a large coffee and make sure his bluetooth headset is charged.One way or another, this beast will be tamed (Toshiba,that is). :mrgreen: I am, however, curious about how ultimate differs from ubuntu 8.04 in the install process and why this problem would only occur with ultimate. Well, I will post results and any workarounds we come up with. later,Moshe
moshe
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Postby vinca » Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:40 pm

moshe wrote:I spoke to the owner of the Toshiba system and we will try to do the install of 1.8 this next week. He is a bit nervous about trying the install himself but I told him to get a large coffee and make sure his bluetooth headset is charged.One way or another, this beast will be tamed (Toshiba,that is). :mrgreen: I am, however, curious about how ultimate differs from ubuntu 8.04 in the install process and why this problem would only occur with ultimate. Well, I will post results and any workarounds we come up with. later,Moshe

it could be a hardware problem. as i know, ultimate edition adds some additional hardware support that the toshiba might not like without the extra boot parameters. tell me how it works out.
Vinca... aka BIG V

Specs:
4gb ddr2 667 ram
Radeon x1600

vinca
U.E. Master