Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Heatsink Question(Solved)

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 1.8

Re: Heatsink Question

Postby tbird » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:48 am

Paste was there for reason I guess. Also if its not clamped it may move in time and perhaps damage something else. Also guess it would be important to transfer heat from attached device to heat sink / fan.
Nec hostium timete, nec amicum reusate.
Fear no enemy, deny no friend.
tbird
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.3 32 BIT

Postby Baphomet » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:21 am

The purpose of thermal paste is to fill in the tiny gaps left between the surfaces of the CPU and the bottom of the HSF; kind of makes for a nice tight seal as it were (insert polar bear joke, here).

If you're processor is staying well within it's operating temperature range, even while under load, I suppose you're okay, but generally speaking, yes, thermal paste is there for a reason.

If you want to pull things apart and apply paste, what I do is put a tiny little bead of paste on the CPU case and then push my index finger tightly into the corner of a plastic sammich bag so the plastic is smooth and skin tight against my finger tip. I then kind of buff the paste onto the CPU casing, making little circles and such, until there's just a haze of the paste all over the bottom it. That's all you want, that's all you need. It's not like making a peanut butter sammich, there's supposed to be a VERY thin "coat" of thermal paste between the two surfaces, not a thick honkin' layer. See pic below... Notice how you can sort of see the casing on the CPU through the applied thermal paste? That thin. Again, it's a glazing sort of thing, not peanut butter.

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am...

If it's not broken, you haven't tweaked it enough.

Beginners Guide: Linux 101
Baphomet
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.2 64 BIT

Postby cowboy » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:23 am

If you going to buy..purchace "Artic Silver"
http://www.arcticsilver.com/as5.htm
"Back up your Data"
"May I never lose the view of a nubie"
"Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man how to fish , he will eat a lifetime"
Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
i5 2500k
3x4G-Skill Ripjaws
MSI GTX 560Ti Hawk..
Seagate 1TB Barracuda
NZXT 850w PS
CM Storm Sniper Case
Evga Superclock CPU Cooler
Mushkin SSD coming soon
http://acowboydave.blogspot.com/
cowboy
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby drama » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:36 am

Baphomet wrote:there's supposed to be a VERY thin "coat" of thermal paste between the two surfaces, not a thick honkin' layer.

i couldnt agree more. its always best to use it spairingly (think thas spelled rite). using too much is almost as bad as not using any at all. it will act like a thermal insulator rather than a thermal conductor.

nvr had this isse on a cpu but i did with the north/south bridge of a buddies mainboard. was an evga 680i. im sure you have heard about how they are natoriously known for high chipset temps. well anyway this is why. see the attched pic below (now mine jus found it on teh net...thas what it looked liek tho). removed the heatsink/pipe assembly. cleaned it (thas was a pain) dropped some "as5" on there. put it all back together. dropped the temps from 80c to about 45c.

anywayz long story short mos def use a very thin coat.

<BREW>

-drama

dsc00051lg7.jpg
ULTIMATE EDITION 2.5 X64/ARCHLINUX X64 DUAL BOOT
Antec 900two case
3 antec 120mm tri cool blue led fans (1 rear exaust 2 front intake)
1 antec 220mm "bigboy" tri cool blue led fan (top exaust)
Amd Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Am3 Cpu OC'D @ 4.2 Rev C3
MSI NF980-G65 Am3 Socket DDR3 Tri-sli ATX Mainboard
Nvidia 980A Sli Chipset
Corsair 2GB Dual Channel ram (1GBx2) DDR3 @ 1600 MHZ
EVGA Nvidia GTS-250 1GB PCI Express Graphics Card
Lite-On Dual Layer Sata Dvd Burner
3x 1TB Seagate Sata Hdd's 32Mb cache
ASUS VH235 23 Inch Lcd Wide Screen Monitor
OCZ ModXStream Pro 700Watt Psu
Rosewill 3.5" Internal USB 2.0 Card Reader w/ Floppy Drive
drama
U.E. Master
U.E. Master

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Postby DaddyX3 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:30 pm

Nick wrote:Thanks for the replies and and pictures !

Will be going to the local pc shop VERY soon !! <BREW>

Just a heads up on the thermal paste Nick ... You can go to your local radio shack and pick some up for a fraction of the cost. Will save you a bundle.
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 2.5GHz 45nm/Gigabyte EP35C-DS3R M.B. w/ddr3 1333
G.Skill 2X1GB DDR3 1333MHz/Gigabyte 8800GT PCIe 2.0 512MB GDDR3 OC'd to 700Mhz/ WD160 gig, 2- WD250 gig in RAID-0 (500GB), WD640 gig e-SATA external

AMD 64 X2 3800+/ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe/G.Skill 2X1GB Matched Pair ddr400
/EVGA 6800GS Nvidia Graphics 256MB/WD160gig drive

HTPC Box:AMD 64 X2 4400+/ BIOSTAR TF7050PV HDMI MicroATX/G.Skill 2X1GB /Matched Pair DDR800/Integrated video and audio/WD160gig drive
DaddyX3
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby Baphomet » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:21 pm

drama1981 wrote:... well anyway this is why. see the attched pic below (now mine jus found it on teh net...thas what it looked liek tho). removed the heatsink/pipe assembly. cleaned it (thas was a pain) dropped some "as5" on there. put it all back together. dropped the temps from 80c to about 45c.

Using that much thermal paste on any PC component is felony offense in the the 48 lower United States, Puerto Rico, the US Virgin Islands AND Mexico (Canada abstained, but then they don't really need thermal paste anyway) and is punishable by hangin', shootin, and castratin'... to DEATH!!!

Well, okay, but it SHOULD BE.

Baphomet
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby DaddyX3 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:01 pm

Nick wrote:Thanks for the tip....about $12.95 Australian :)

LOL- sorry 'mate', didn't know you were from across the sea's. You even have a Radio Shack there? Prolly not, but basically its just a store that sells diodes, resistors and what not and is a true to life electronics store.

Satan wrote:Using that much thermal paste on any PC component is felony offense in the the 48 lower United States, Puerto Rico, the US Virgin Islands AND Mexico (Canada abstained, but then they don't really need thermal paste anyway) and is punishable by hangin', shootin, and castratin'... to DEATH!!!

Well, okay, but it SHOULD BE.

LMAO!!! I was thinking the same damn thing Baph!!! I just didn't have the cojones to say anything :lol: :lol:
G.Skill 2X1GB DDR3 1333MHz/Gigabyte 8800GT PCIe 2.0 512MB GDDR3 OC'd to 700Mhz/ WD160 gig, 2- WD250 gig in RAID-0 (500GB), WD640 gig e-SATA external

HTPC Box:AMD 64 X2 4400+/ BIOSTAR TF7050PV HDMI MicroATX/G.Skill 2X1GB /Matched Pair DDR800/Integrated video and audio/WD160gig drive
DaddyX3
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby Cab » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:57 pm

Just a real short and quick post... Hobart was amazing I had a great time there!
Mother Board: ASUS ROG CROSSHAIR VII HERO WIFI
CPU: AMD 2700X
Memory: 32GB CORSAIR PRO RGB @3200
Video Card: EVGA GTX1080 FTW
Hard Drives: 1TB Network Drive, 1TB 860 EVO SSD, 1TB 970 EVO M.2
I'm in Southern New Mexico, USA (not Mexico)
Cab
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition Beta Tester

Re: Heatsink Question The saga continues !

Postby Baphomet » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:48 am

Nick wrote:Well,went as per posted before to the local and got some Arctic thermal paste,came back and applied,but could only get three of the damn PLASTIC pins to seat.After an hour of trying rotating,swearing etc,went back to the local with the case and offending heat sink.She looked at it and said "oh,those are crap" Nice :shock:
She then said "they can only be taken out once or twice & then the plastic pins bend" Nice :o
Bought a new Socket 775 heat sink for $25 au

LMAO... I discovered the same thing, although, my process WAS a tad less painful. Yes, the "default" HSF connection for the 775 is a royal biatch. I just read all about it BEFORE having to go through the experience. I think we both wound up using the same exact HSF though. And what dreamy little install it had, too. I don't why some people, whoever they are, think the world needs yet another elaborate "system" for connecting a heat sink to a motherboard. SCREWS people... Screws!!! Simple. Effective. Pretty damn hard to @$#! up!! Capische??!!

Nick wrote: Bit concerned though...after about half an hour of the screen saver running (skyrocket) the "screenlet "Nvidia gpu core temp" was 53 degrees Celsius...

Running Skyrocket as your screensaver, eh? Well now THERE'S an important detail. :roll:
Okay, better to give a little too much information, I suppose, than not enough. That being said...

My E8400 does something rather similar, but I can't get the "temp" to drop. I say "temp", in quotes, because according to the installed Asus monitoring tool, my CPU is idling at 48C (!!!). Turns out it's a wee-little problem with at least some of the 45nm processors, the E8400 being one of them; they report false temps. Most everyone is reporting the issue regardless of motherboard/chipset. I'd suggest googling your proc +heat and see if the same issue is being reported by other users or not. You might just need to give your PC a little time to stabilize as well. Freshly applied thermal paste requires several heating/cooling cycles to become fully effective.

Baphomet
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby DaddyX3 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:42 am

I would not be too concerned with your temp issues ... they are most likely software related and I would not sweat it. Your not going to melt down or anything. If you did, it would very surprising and you would be that "1 in a million" guy. Odds are that your not going to be having issues with heat.

DaddyX3
U.E. God
U.E. God

Next

Return to Ultimate Edition 1.8