Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

[NOT QUITE SOLVED] ICS with Windows

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 1.8

[NOT QUITE SOLVED] ICS with Windows

Postby xtremesupremacy3 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:42 pm

Hey hey, it's been a while but I'm here!

Now I got a small teeny problem...When I moved countries like almost 4 months ago I lost the use of a nice wireless stable connection. Thing is this...My sister bought a T-Mobile Web 'n' Walk usb stick (internet through USB)and we been setting up a shared connection through ad-hoc (p2p) our laptops both Vista...but when new 1.8 UU came out I had to have and since I figured it allowed ad-hoc I thought 'why not?'. Since the USB stick isnt Linux friendly it meant my sister acted as host....here's where the problem began....Once installed Ultimate Ubuntu's NM seen the ad-hoc network and asked for the key upon connection...but once entered it attempted to connect...and connect...but nothing happened, those two bulbs didnt light up. Using KWifi, I noticed it had all the details from the network but just kept hanging on the IP adress and nothing happened. It sucks no internet...we all know that a Linux box without the internet is nothing, so can someone help me so I can once again be home at Ubuntu and not rely on Vista?
Thanks
Last edited by xtremesupremacy3 on Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
- The little army stands proud against the geeky glasses wearing millionaire of a tyrant -

Arthur
Ultimate Edition 2.2
Dell Inspiron 6400
Intel Centrino Duo 1.8Ghz
1Gb RAM
80Gb Harddrive
AC97 Sound
ATI Radeon Mobility X1400
xtremesupremacy3
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.6 64 BIT

Re: ICS with Windows

Postby vinca » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:57 pm

xtremesupremacy3 wrote:Hey hey, it's been a while but I'm here!

Now I got a small teeny problem...When I moved countries like almost 4 months ago I lost the use of a nice wireless stable connection. Thing is this...My sister bought a T-Mobile Web 'n' Walk usb stick (internet through USB)and we been setting up a shared connection through ad-hoc (p2p) our laptops both Vista...but when new 1.8 UU came out I had to have and since I figured it allowed ad-hoc I thought 'why not?'. Since the USB stick isnt Linux friendly it meant my sister acted as host....here's where the problem began....Once installed Ultimate Ubuntu's NM seen the ad-hoc network and asked for the key upon connection...but once entered it attempted to connect...and connect...but nothing happened, those two bulbs didnt light up. Using KWifi, I noticed it had all the details from the network but just kept hanging on the IP adress and nothing happened. It sucks no internet...we all know that a Linux box without the internet is nothing, so can someone help me so I can once again be home at Ubuntu and not rely on Vista?
Thanks

what did the acronym ics come from? i see you have listed internet through usb (itu) and web n talk (wnt) ??? :? :? :? :lol:
Vinca... aka BIG V

http://www.scienceprousa.com
Specs:
4gb ddr2 667 ram
Intel Core2Duo E6300 oced to 2.2 ghz
Radeon x1600
Arctic cooling freezer 7 pro
2x 250 gb western digital hard drives soon to be in raid
all on ULTIMATE EDITION!!!!

~Energy and persistence conquer all things~ -Ben Franklin
vinca
U.E. Master
U.E. Master

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby vinca » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:01 pm

nvm just google it right? http://www.googleitfirst.com/ :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: this site will become a classic on the forum huh admins.... anyways i found this on ubuntu forums, it relates to getting it to work.

I had to add the module option to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
also check that usb-storage isn't loaded
disable wireless and other connections

plug in USB modem and check device details in a terminal:
# lsusb

should see amongst other things a line like:
Bus 002 Device 005: ID 12d1:1003

# modprobe usbserial vendor=0x12d1 product=0x1003

check to see the ttyS devices created:

# ls -la /dev/ttyU*
crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 188, 0 2007-12-21 21:03 /dev/ttyUSB0
crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 188, 1 2007-12-21 21:03 /dev/ttyUSB1
crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 188, 2 2007-12-21 21:03 /dev/ttyUSB2

Add to /etc/wvdial.conf:
[Dialer tmobileusb]
Phone = *99***1#
Username = web
Password = web
Stupid Mode = 1
Dial Command = ATDT
Modem = /dev/ttyUSB0
Baud = 460800
Init2 = ATZ
Init3 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
ISDN = 0
Modem Type = Analog Modem
Init5 = AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","general.t-mobile.uk";

run wvdial:

#wvdial tmobileusb
Vinca... aka BIG V

Specs:
4gb ddr2 667 ram
Radeon x1600

vinca
U.E. Master
U.E. Master

Postby vinca » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:02 pm

Vinca... aka BIG V

Specs:
4gb ddr2 667 ram
Radeon x1600

vinca
U.E. Master
U.E. Master

Postby xtremesupremacy3 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:37 pm

Hey, thanks for the reply.

Actually, I am a big believer in 'Google is our friend' and have googled a lot. To be honest, the main ideas havent worked since it appears that ad-hoc is already accomodated for.

Thank you for the ideas of the web n walk stick...but it's not mine, my sister will be hosting it and i want to use ICS (Internet Connection Sharing). I was more looking at the adhoc route. But thank you for the ideas
- The little army stands proud against the geeky glasses wearing millionaire of a tyrant -

Arthur
Ultimate Edition 2.2
Dell Inspiron 6400
1Gb RAM
80Gb Harddrive
AC97 Sound
xtremesupremacy3
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Postby xtremesupremacy3 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:35 am

Okay so here's the gravy,

I done a few things here and there, mostly with HSO since i'm kinda giving p on ad-hoc.
Now it works fine the GUI for HSO, and when I plug usb in it detects it and asks for the pin...i entered that and it connects to T-Mobile network, it then gives me the option to click on Connect, which I do and after a few seconds I see the data coming in...all good right? Well not exactly, because Firefox for 1 just comes up as 'Offline mode' and the internet is just not working? I know it may be a little vague but is there anyone who might be able to help?

Arthur
Ultimate Edition 2.2
Dell Inspiron 6400
1Gb RAM
80Gb Harddrive
AC97 Sound
xtremesupremacy3
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Postby xtremesupremacy3 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:16 am

Well just thought I would let you know it was my dumb mistake. Turned out I DO have to actually untick that little box in Firefox that says 'Offline mode'.DOH!

It works :oops: :roll: :lol:

Arthur
Ultimate Edition 2.2
Dell Inspiron 6400
1Gb RAM
80Gb Harddrive
AC97 Sound
xtremesupremacy3
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Postby SaddleTramp » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:32 am

xtremesupremacy3 wrote:Well just thought I would let you know it was my dumb mistake. Turned out I DO have to actually untick that little box in Firefox that says 'Offline mode'.DOH!

It works :oops: :roll: :lol:

:lol: Have done some of those "DOH's" myself ;) Glad you got it running xtreme... :mrgreen:
3 Rules: 1. Research; 2. Read; 3. Repeat 1 & 2
HP Pavilion a1700n; Asus A8M2N-LA; AMD Athlon X2 3800+ 2GHz; 2GB DDR2 PC2-5300 Mem; nForce 430 Chipset
GeForce GT220 1gb PCIE16
Sound Blaster Audigy2
Samsung 250GB SATA, WD 320GB SATA, WD 500GB 'GREEN' SATA
TSST DVDRW 16X DL; ASUS DRW-2014S1 DVDRW/DL 20X
Ultimate Edition 2.4 x64
SaddleTramp
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby xtremesupremacy3 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:00 pm

Okay, tell me if I need to start another post for this.

Everything went dandy, I got HSO working a treat. But obviously every now and then given the chance I want to go on a wireless network. But now this: I can connect to the network of wireless and it shows full signal and that but no internet at all, cant even ping!

I presume that it's because its in the settings and not really configured no more for wireless. Is there some switch app or terminal code for switching between the two? because I don't wanna keep having to switch between them by changing settings each time.
Before anyone asks...YES, I HAVE checked on google but have brain freeze at moment lol. Can anyone help...please!!! haha well I hope so

Your friend...Arthur <BREW>

Arthur
Ultimate Edition 2.2
Dell Inspiron 6400
1Gb RAM
80Gb Harddrive
AC97 Sound
xtremesupremacy3
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Re: [NOT QUITE SOLVED] ICS with Windows

Postby LeadFingers » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:03 am

It sounds like you're getting kicked in the ribs by Network Manager.
Ubuntu has had bug reports filed on this but has yet to resolve the problem.
This is why you have to uncheck the Work offline box every time and why you have connection issues that never existed with older releases.

I'll have to go back through the bug reports to see if I can find the fix, it's pretty simple but I just can't remember what it is. :oops:
Sorry! I'll have to get back to you.

Edited:
There are several very bright people that have discovered many workarounds, however your issue is compounded by the fact you are using 2 different ways to connect.
I listed these fixes in the order that I would try them, simplest & quickest first.

1) your easiest fix:
Install this FF addon created by Ubuntu Dev Kristian Erik-Hermansen, just for this issue.
Once the Work offline issue is fixed without playing with network settings, you no longer have to switch back and forth just to use a different way to connect
While this fixes FF it does not address Pidgen or any other Mozilla apps issues with Network Manager
BEST POSSIBLE WORKAROUND by my ridiculous addon:
http://www.kristian-hermansen.com/code/ ... .mode.html

Just install the Firefox extension I developed and you will never see the "Offline Mode" problem again. Email me if you have any problems with this XPI. Enjoy... :-)

2) The next easiest fix:
Roll back Firefox from version 3 to Firefox 2.
This will eliminate the need to do anything special to make FF start online and resolve your duel mode issue.

3) The least easy fix:
Replace Network Manager with Wicd.
For complete instructions on installation, configuration and use, read here.
http://www.ubuntugeek.com/wicd-wired-and-wireless-network-manager-for-ubuntu.html

While this step is listed as the least easy, it's neither difficult or complex.
Their guide takes you step by step through the whole process.
1st Box: Ultimate Edition 2.0 x64/ 1.8 x64
2nd Box: XP (dusty)
3rd Box: Stable Media box Ultimate Edition 1.8 x64 with XBMC

The Oxen are slow but the Earth is patient ~Chuen~
LeadFingers
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 64 BIT

Return to Ultimate Edition 1.8