Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Small issues, please help SOLVED

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 1.8

Small issues, please help SOLVED

Postby muad » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:06 am

First off, I'm a total Noob to Linux, and LOVE Ultimate Edition 1.8!

Here goes:

When I boot my PC, I get this error:

"Failed to read Splash Image (Chdl.s)/boot/grub/splashimages/Kubuntu_splashscreen_blue_neon_logo_03.xpm.gz"

This happens before the screen appears where I select what I'm going to boot (several linux kernals, Windows XP, etc.) It says press any key to continue, and everything is fine. Just an annoyance more than anything.

The second problem started yesterday. I can't seem to get any updates and get this/these errors when I open a terminal and type sudo apt-get update:

"W: Failed to fetch http://www.getautomatix.com/apt/dists/f ... ackages.gz 404 Not Found

E: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead."

Not sure if I'm the only one who is having this problem or not. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

-Will <BREW>
Last edited by muad on Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
muad
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 64 BIT

Re: Small issues, please help

Postby DaddyX3 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:53 pm

muad wrote:First off, I'm a total Noob to Linux, and LOVE Ultimate Edition 1.8!

Here goes:

When I boot my PC, I get this error:

"Failed to read Splash Image (Chdl.s)/boot/grub/splashimages/Kubuntu_splashscreen_blue_neon_logo_03.xpm.gz"

This happens before the screen appears where I select what I'm going to boot (several linux kernals, Windows XP, etc.) It says press any key to continue, and everything is fine. Just an annoyance more than anything.

The second problem started yesterday. I can't seem to get any updates and get this/these errors when I open a terminal and type sudo apt-get update:

"W: Failed to fetch http://www.getautomatix.com/apt/dists/f ... ackages.gz 404 Not Found

E: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead."

Not sure if I'm the only one who is having this problem or not. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

-Will <BREW>

The first problem you spoke about could be checked by seeing if the file is even there or not. Just browse to the folder location that the error report speaks about (/boot/grub/splashimages/Kubuntu_splashscreen_blue_neon_logo_03.xpm.gz) and see if its there. If it is, then maybe you have your resolutions set incorrectly for the splash screen. You could change or check the upsplash by going to System>>Administration>>Start-Up-Manager then go to the second tab towards the bottom and click 'manage upsplash themes'.

Second problem is that Automatix is 'NO LONGER IN EXISTANCE' So, delete the reference in your sources.list by issuing the following in a terminal:
Code: Select all
sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list

then remove that line that gave the error from the list or just comment it out, then save the file and close.
Then in a terminal issue:
sudo apt-get update
This will refresh things.
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 2.5GHz 45nm/Gigabyte EP35C-DS3R M.B. w/ddr3 1333
G.Skill 2X1GB DDR3 1333MHz/Gigabyte 8800GT PCIe 2.0 512MB GDDR3 OC'd to 700Mhz/ WD160 gig, 2- WD250 gig in RAID-0 (500GB), WD640 gig e-SATA external

AMD 64 X2 3800+/ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe/G.Skill 2X1GB Matched Pair ddr400
/EVGA 6800GS Nvidia Graphics 256MB/WD160gig drive

HTPC Box:AMD 64 X2 4400+/ BIOSTAR TF7050PV HDMI MicroATX/G.Skill 2X1GB /Matched Pair DDR800/Integrated video and audio/WD160gig drive
DaddyX3
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.3 32 BIT

Postby satelight7430 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:59 pm

i see u=you beat me to this there daddy.
I,ve been looking for the refference to said automatrix no longer avaible and the solution.
should have known you'd beat me.as for the splash screen I was,nt sure if i should tell him to look in the folder or not??
thanks for being there. <BREW>
satelight7430
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Postby muad » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:05 pm

Thanks DaddyX3. While you solved my update problem, I'm still getting the error on startup for the splash image.

I opened a terminal and went to /boot/grub/splashimages to verfiy that the file was actually there. It was and there were several splashscreen_xxx_xxx.xpm.gz files. I then downloaded qgrubeditor, which allowed me to change the splash image. I changed it from KUBUNTU_splashscreen_blue_neon_logo_o3.xpm.gz to KUBUNTU_splashscreen_blue_neon_logo_o1.xpm.gz

It still shows the same error, however now it says it failed to read KUBUNTU_splashscreen_blue_neon_logo_o1.xpm.gz

I also went to the Start-up manager (before I did the above) and saw what you were talking about, but did not see how it was going to fix my problem. All I could do was remove or add a theme. So I left that alone.

I appreciate all the help. I pick up stuff pretty quick, so it shouldn't take me long to get this stuff figured out.

Take care!

-Will
muad
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Postby muad » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:51 pm

I now see that the Start-up manager is similar to the qgrubeditor I downloaded, so I uninstalled that and am trying to see if I can get it figured out using Start-up manager.

EDIT:
Still can't get this fixed.
muad
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Postby muad » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:34 am

Anyone else have any ideas?
muad
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Postby cowboy » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:21 am

Have you also have KDE installed also by some slim chance..have seen that error before..will be looking for a fix.. ;)
Also what version of Ultimate Edition are you running...
"Back up your Data"
"May I never lose the view of a nubie"
"Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man how to fish , he will eat a lifetime"
Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
i5 2500k
3x4G-Skill Ripjaws
MSI GTX 560Ti Hawk..
Seagate 1TB Barracuda
NZXT 850w PS
CM Storm Sniper Case
Evga Superclock CPU Cooler
Mushkin SSD coming soon
http://acowboydave.blogspot.com/
cowboy
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby Baphomet » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:27 am

muad wrote:Anyone else have any ideas?

There's some discussion about this very issue in this thread here and what appears to be "band-aid" type patch(??) in the fourth or fifth post down. Helpful? Maybe??
I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am...

If it's not broken, you haven't tweaked it enough.

Beginners Guide: Linux 101
Baphomet
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.2 64 BIT

Postby muad » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:29 am

Cowboy:

I'm running 1.8 (32 bit or x86) with all of the latest updates that can be had by the update manager. I also used the Ultimate Edition Gamer Upgrade. Not sure on the KDE reference. I have a very smart friend that converted me (he's about 6 weeks ahead of me in Linux), and I don't usually download anything without talking to him (unless I was advised by someone on here.)

When I got that qgrubeditor, there was also a kgrubeditor, which he said not to get (as I think this has something to do with KDE???) So to answer your question in short, no I don't thing so. LOL

Baphomey:

I'll check that out, thanks!

Thanks for the help guys!

-Will
muad
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Postby cowboy » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:39 am

The reason I asked on the KDE is that error I have seen on a install with KDE...
Have you tried
sudo apt-get clean

sudo apt-get autoremove

sudo apt-get update

yet? This may not help..I am leaning to when you installed kgrubeditor something was deleted or replaced..removing kgrubeditor will not necessary fix the problem, if you follow what I mean.
"Back up your Data"
"May I never lose the view of a nubie"
"Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man how to fish , he will eat a lifetime"
Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
i5 2500k
3x4G-Skill Ripjaws
MSI GTX 560Ti Hawk..
Seagate 1TB Barracuda
NZXT 850w PS
CM Storm Sniper Case
Evga Superclock CPU Cooler
Mushkin SSD coming soon
http://acowboydave.blogspot.com/
cowboy
U.E. God