Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Can't see video

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 1.8

Can't see video

Postby szaemon » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:19 am

Hello,
I have just recently installed Ultimate 1.8 and I am now trying to follow TheeMahn's mini guide to installing video drivers but, I'm having some difficulty understanding it:

1. Install Ultimate Edition DVD
Where/How do I get this program and how do I install it? I checked the repositories but don't see it there. I have google search for it but haven't found a download yet.

2. initial bootscript I install acro read and flash no video drivers yet.
What does "intial bootscript" mean? Acro read and flash were included in the code I ran from the welcome page. Does this change anything? Did that code install drivers? The next step is quite clear that no drivers should be installed yet.

3. Run upgrade script, let it complete this upgrades the kernel - still no video drivers installed.
How do I "run upgrade script"? Does this mean the upgrade icon on the desktop? Should I/How do I check to be certain that I have no drivers installed?

4. reboot
This one I'm good at. No problems there.

5. Install Video drivers
How? From Where?

Any help offered will be appreciated!
Thanks.
Newb 4 Life!!!
Laugh at me, Roll your eyes, Scorn me if you will...but in the end...
...Please Help Me, I Need It...
Thanks!

Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.80GHz
Memory: 483MB (167MB used)
SCSI Disks: ATA WDC WD1600BB-00G, ATA Maxtor 7540 AV,
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4163B
Graphics Card: VGA compatible controller: S3 Inc. VT8375 [ProSavage8 KM266/KL266]
szaemon
U.E. Pro
U.E. Pro

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Re: Can't see video

Postby deate » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:16 am

I'll make an attempt to answer some of your questions...at least the easy ones that I know the answer to.
#1 Install Ultimate Edition DVD--- This is the .iso that you downloaded and burned to DVD...the installation disc if you will...
#2 Acro read and Flash are plugins for your Fire fox web browser...if you got them installed ...fine, if not inorder for you to have full functionality of the browser, you will need to install them...
#3 Yes, run the Upgrade from the icon on the desktop, let it finish, the reboot...the reason you don't mess with drivers yet is that this step removes drivers...
#4 Now if all this installation process has gone well, you should now be back at you newly installed desktop...If you are, and you know what type of Graphics card you have, we can move on...IF NOT... we must determine what your graphics card is before we move on...If you know...at the top left panel click on applications,then scroll down to system tools, then EnvyNG (there are 2 doesn't matter which 1 you chose) you will be prompted for your password( the initial 1 you put in during install) type that in.. Now an ENVY window box should pop up... On the left hand side you will notice 2 choices " ATI or Nvidia" choose the card you have, HI-LITE install, click apply and you're on your way!!!!(I can't remember, but I think you will be prompted to restart at this point, do so if prompted) you should be good to go!!!
deate
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.0 Lite

Postby szaemon » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:06 am

Thanks for taking the time to explain that in detail.

I'm not certain what iso means the disk I maid with the Ultimate Ubuntu Operating system on it. If that's correct then this guide seems to be giving instructions on how to install video drivers starting with a installation of the whole system....

Am I reading that wrong?
I think I'm good without a complete re-install, I have gotten Acroreader and Flash already from the code on the welcome page, and I've already gone through the Upgrade. If I'm wrong about this I guess just have to do a re-install.

Anyway, it looks this boils down to a 50-50 shot, because no I don't know what graphics card I have. Others have already tried helping me discover my system specs and it seems like that's not possible because my computer doesn't have a make and model printed on it I'll just take my chances and flip a coin.

Thanks for explaining this to me and for telling me to find the video drivers.

So I know I'm a total noob, but I couldn't find that information anywhere in the forum. Is it here and I just kept missing it?
I'll be back, how soon depends on whether I get heads or tails...
Thanks Again Deate.
Newb 4 Life!!!
Thanks!

Graphics Card: VGA compatible controller: S3 Inc. VT8375 [ProSavage8 KM266/KL266]
szaemon
U.E. Pro
U.E. Pro

Postby vinca » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:17 am

yeah, nice call there deate. for the flash, in 64 biyt, i used a couple of more advanced steps:
go to system>administration>synaptic package manager and search for gnash. uninstall all the applications with a green checkbox by clicking the checkbox and remove. java works for me, with the built in.
if you have 32 bit, and the install went successfully with the code you typed in and you can see youtube, you're all set.

next, it seems you still have trouble with video drivers. to find out what card you have, open a terminal, and type lspci. then, scroll down till you see something like this
Code: Select all
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV530 [Radeon X1600]
01:00.1 Display controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV530 [Radeon X1600] (Secondary)

as you can see i have a very krappy graphics card, soon to be upgraded to a 8800gt by nvidia. once you know whether you have ati or nvidia, you can install the drivers from envy.
Vinca... aka BIG V

http://www.scienceprousa.com
Specs:
4gb ddr2 667 ram
Intel Core2Duo E6300 oced to 2.2 ghz
Radeon x1600
Arctic cooling freezer 7 pro
2x 250 gb western digital hard drives soon to be in raid
all on ULTIMATE EDITION!!!!

~Energy and persistence conquer all things~ -Ben Franklin
vinca
U.E. Master
U.E. Master

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby deate » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:35 am

Yes the guide is from the very start, with installing the OS...and I think you're good where you're at...we just need to determine what your graphics are...AHHHHHH!!! Thanks for stepping in "V" that's the command I was looking for (lspci) Hang in there szaemon, we'll get you going (or at least vinca will) :D
deate
Site Admin

Postby szaemon » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:39 am

Thanks Vinca!
Fear not, I couldn't tell if your card was crappy or not. As for my planed 50-50 shot...EnvyNG couldn't detect my card either as ATI or Nvidia, so I'm back.

I have 64bit and noI can't see youtube or any other video, so I'll rip out gnash then post the results of lspci here if I can't figure out how to use the info.
thanks again...brb
Newb 4 Life!!!
Thanks!

szaemon
U.E. Pro
U.E. Pro

Postby szaemon » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:43 am

Well it looks like I have neither ATI o rNvidia. I got ...uhhh...this:

00:11.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 60)
00:12.0 Ethernet controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6102 [Rhine-II] (rev 78)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: S3 Inc. VT8375 [ProSavage8 KM266/KL266]

This is the first line that looked kinda like what you're taking about. Does this tell you anything about my Graphic Card?
Newb 4 Life!!!
Thanks!

szaemon
U.E. Pro
U.E. Pro

Postby deate » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:07 am

szaemon wrote:Well it looks like I have neither ATI o rNvidia. I got ...uhhh...this:

00:11.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 60)
00:12.0 Ethernet controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6102 [Rhine-II] (rev 78)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: S3 Inc. VT8375 [ProSavage8 KM266/KL266]

This is the first line that looked kinda like what you're taking about. Does this tell you anything about my Graphic Card?

You're right, you have neither ATI nor Nvidia...The 3rd line tells you that you have a ProSavage8 VGA compatible graphics...but if you follow vinca's instructions, you should still be able to get your video viewing going...you can forget about the instructions on ENVY, as they only cover ATI and Nvidia...you may be able to update your drivers for this graphics, but someone else with far more experience than I will have to help you with this...I don't know if this graphics will run the advanced effects of say "Compiz", but you should still be able to use most of what's available in this distribution.
deate
Site Admin

Postby Baphomet » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:00 pm

Open Synaptic (System/Administration/Synaptic Package Manager).
Search for, and install: ubuntu-restricted-extras
Now try your Youtube videos and such.

Your VIA graphics solution is an integrated graphics chipset and not a discrete video (AGP, PCI or PCI-e) card. I'm thinking you may have trouble getting Compiz to run the fancy effects, but you should be fine with everything else. If you reeeeally want all the fancy eye-candy, a $50 video card would get you that; if you want to spend the money.
I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am...

If it's not broken, you haven't tweaked it enough.

Beginners Guide: Linux 101
Baphomet
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.2 64 BIT

Postby szaemon » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:20 pm

Yup! that did it! I got movies again at least

Thank a Lot to both of you.

WoW! Computer illiteracy should be listed as a legitimate handicap in modern society...

An entire Friday Shot in the Ass looking for that simple procedure of removing gnash. Damn Shameful.
Well I'm looking at 1:00am and I got work in a few hours, I'm gonna hit the sack for a bit and try not to have any nightmares about this day.
Thanks again for your help.
Newb 4 Life!!!
Thanks!

szaemon
U.E. Pro
U.E. Pro

Next

Return to Ultimate Edition 1.8