Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Dual boot issue

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 1.8

Dual boot issue

Postby Poltergeist » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:23 pm

Hi,
I'm running 64 bit 1.8 along side XP.
To get GRUB to load I had to change the BIOS setting for the HDD from auto to large. This stopped the error 18 issue and allowed booting into 1.8 via GRUB
The issue now is I am unable to boot XP. Personally I'm happy but it's not my system hehe.
I get the error BOOTMNGR is missing.
I have tried tweaking the menu.lst but this looks to be correct.
Any help appreciated!

Poltergeist
Poltergeist
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.0 Gamers

Re: Dual boot issue

Postby vinca » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:40 pm

I've had a similar issue, it was the menu.lst, i was confused because by comparing fdisk -l to menu.lst it was okay, but then i realized that in menu.lst the hard drive #s started with zero :? that was a waste of my time figgering that out, just giving you the heads up, you might already know ;)
Vinca... aka BIG V

http://www.scienceprousa.com
Specs:
4gb ddr2 667 ram
Intel Core2Duo E6300 oced to 2.2 ghz
Radeon x1600
Arctic cooling freezer 7 pro
2x 250 gb western digital hard drives soon to be in raid
all on ULTIMATE EDITION!!!!

~Energy and persistence conquer all things~ -Ben Franklin
vinca
U.E. Master
U.E. Master

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby Poltergeist » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:01 pm

Seem to get to Starting up . . .

But doesn't boot in.
It's on the primary drive first partition so (hd0,0) should be correct.
Would re-installing grub be an idea ??
No idea why it never correctly identified the partition though.

Poltergeist.
Poltergeist
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Postby cowboy » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:29 pm

Do you have a copy of Super Grub handy or can you download one?
http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/ubuntu ... oblem.html
http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthr ... 280&page=2
I know it says for vista but it may work for XP
"Back up your Data"
"May I never lose the view of a nubie"
"Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man how to fish , he will eat a lifetime"
Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
i5 2500k
3x4G-Skill Ripjaws
MSI GTX 560Ti Hawk..
Seagate 1TB Barracuda
NZXT 850w PS
CM Storm Sniper Case
Evga Superclock CPU Cooler
Mushkin SSD coming soon
http://acowboydave.blogspot.com/
cowboy
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby Poltergeist » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:34 pm

I'll give it a try, thanks Cowboy.

..::EDIT::..
No go with supergrub.
Did a search for xp's boot files. Surprise, surprise when I last did FIXMBR prior to installing Ultimate Edition where did windows put the files? on a different drive.
My question is if I merely copy these to the root of the windows partition and re-edit the menu.lst to point to the correct partition is this going to fix the issue?
I will try later in the day, but any thoughts would be welcome!!

Poltergeist.
Poltergeist
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Postby DaddyX3 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:04 am

I would recomend repairing the issue your self by hand. Take a look at this site, for a nice explanation of GRUB menu editing.
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 2.5GHz 45nm/Gigabyte EP35C-DS3R M.B. w/ddr3 1333
G.Skill 2X1GB DDR3 1333MHz/Gigabyte 8800GT PCIe 2.0 512MB GDDR3 OC'd to 700Mhz/ WD160 gig, 2- WD250 gig in RAID-0 (500GB), WD640 gig e-SATA external

AMD 64 X2 3800+/ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe/G.Skill 2X1GB Matched Pair ddr400
/EVGA 6800GS Nvidia Graphics 256MB/WD160gig drive

HTPC Box:AMD 64 X2 4400+/ BIOSTAR TF7050PV HDMI MicroATX/G.Skill 2X1GB /Matched Pair DDR800/Integrated video and audio/WD160gig drive
DaddyX3
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.3 32 BIT

Postby Poltergeist » Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:41 pm

Update,
Having been unable to resolve and the pc is my other halfs, she decided she wanted Windows back, fair play she gave it a try though.
I have now re installed windows which fixed that issue. Also I have re-formatted and partitioned the drives as I feel that was where the underlying issue was.

Sorry if anyone has a similar issue as this wont help much.

Poltergeist.
Poltergeist
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Postby Twisted » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:36 pm

Poltergeist wrote:Update,
Having been unable to resolve and the pc is my other halfs, she decided she wanted Windows back, fair play she gave it a try though.
I have now re installed windows which fixed that issue. Also I have re-formatted and partitioned the drives as I feel that was where the underlying issue was.

Sorry if anyone has a similar issue as this wont help much.

Poltergeist.

you have separate drives for each system? I auto installed 1.8.64 on a secondary sata drive, XP32 residing on a "primary" IDE drive...

I let Ultimate Edition choose all the configuration, I did not use any advanced boot or partitioning conf, gparted saw the primary IDE but labled it sda1, and labeled the real sata drive as sda2... when it came around to that part where you can import XP profiles the installer said there were no profiles to import, I figure it was a 32/64 bit issue and not an issue of not recognizing the drive..

so, Ultimate Edition installs, upon reboot the machine booted up directly to windows, no grub? on a typical 32bit ubuntu install I would have gotten a grub error if anything was amis? typically or in the day the boot loader had to be installed in the windows master boot record, apparently thats changed?

what I did was change the drive boot order, so now my bios boots up to the secondary sata first, funny cuz there lies grub and in that is XP and Ultimate Edition? boom everything is fine... not sure how the chain loader is working cuz I haven't looked but grub is solid and it will work...

my guess is if you are running a 32 bitXP on the same drive as a 64bit nix grub hasn't been configured properly or isn't liking it, but I do have XP32 running alongside UE64, separate disks...
there's many a slip twix a cup and a lip...
Twisted
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Postby Poltergeist » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:15 am

I had and tried a lot of what happened to you.
Just couldn't figure out what was wrong.
Windows was on an sata and putting it's boot files on to an ide. Grub never found system to add docs but setup the loader, just never booted to windows. Initially never booted grub! Finally got grub error 18 which I cured with selecting large for the drive rather than auto in the bios.
I have a fair idea it was due to the drives setups that caused the issues. Three hdd 1 ide, 2 sata all hadd first partition flagged as boot.
If I reinstall now I see possibly no issues but as I use my lappy not the main system I'm happy as is.
Now if gnome can just fix the connect to server issue I'll be a very happy chappy!
Poltergeist
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Return to Ultimate Edition 1.8