Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

32 bit vs 64 bit

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 1.8

Re: 32 bit vs 64 bit

Postby ZeroBit » Sat May 24, 2008 6:02 pm

I installed 64 bit version of Ultimate. But after installing ATI driver with help of the Envy for ATI Radeon X550 videcard my skype stoped working with my Logitech Communicate STX Webcam (videtest shows black square, but during the first 1/3 second after pressing "test" button often I can see myself and sometimes it blinks with right picture during moving window with skype preferencies) :( After uninstalling driver of videocard it started working again correctly. Almost the same situation with 32 bit version of Ultimate. All work only if compiz off. But it is very strange because with Ubuntu 32 bit Hardy Heron all these things work fine.

May be solution is to buy new NVidia card and install 64 bit version?

And another one problem with 32 bit Ultimate. I can choose such thing as "Atlanis", "Deformation" into cylinder, etc... only if I clicked on "compiz fusion icon" before. It doesn't autostart with system and they therefore don't work. How I can make autostart for compiz fusion icon?
ZeroBit
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.4 64 BIT

Postby ZeroBit » Mon May 26, 2008 4:53 pm

I decided to use 64 bit version and install it.
I've found that with this theme in OpenOffice all icons from tools panel disappear. But it can be fixed in Preferencies.
After I changed videocard from ATI to NVidia everything works fine including Skype and webcam.
Only minor problems remain: VLC player - it continues play sound after closing after watching DVD (It is old problem. If other skin is used from skin2 it doesn't happen, but not with the basic skin) and application for partioning the disk - it doesn't start at all.
And also I don't know how to install compiz-git... Because I want to have "cylinder" effect on my desktop
And help me please - how can I change the boot screen into other (I don't like dragons)?
ZeroBit
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.4 64 BIT

Postby vinca » Mon May 26, 2008 5:45 pm

ZeroBit wrote:I decided to use 64 bit version and install it.
I've found that with this theme in OpenOffice all icons from tools panel disappear. But it can be fixed in Preferencies.
After I changed videocard from ATI to NVidia everything works fine including Skype and webcam.
Only minor problems remain: VLC player - it continues play sound after closing after watching DVD (It is old problem. If other skin is used from skin2 it doesn't happen, but not with the basic skin) and application for partioning the disk - it doesn't start at all.
And also I don't know how to install compiz-git... Because I want to have "cylinder" effect on my desktop
And help me please - how can I change the boot screen into other (I don't like dragons)?

for compiz-git, wait for a little because theemahn is making a script that is more reliable for the 64 bit version. partitioning application, what is it, mebbe we can be clearer then :D boot screen use usplash maker by theemahn viewtopic.php?f=23&t=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
and also for vlc i've never had that problem but I don't use vlc much except for streaming. if you want to play movies in other apps, install ubuntu-restricted-extras in synaptic.
Vinca... aka BIG V

http://www.scienceprousa.com
Specs:
4gb ddr2 667 ram
Intel Core2Duo E6300 oced to 2.2 ghz
Radeon x1600
Arctic cooling freezer 7 pro
2x 250 gb western digital hard drives soon to be in raid
all on ULTIMATE EDITION!!!!

~Energy and persistence conquer all things~ -Ben Franklin
vinca
U.E. Master