Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Trouble installing software / updating system

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 1.7

Trouble installing software / updating system

Postby TermiteHunter » Fri May 30, 2008 5:02 pm

Unable to download / Install anything.
I am unable to download or install any thing from the internet. Using Firefox I click the download and begin the process. Firefox download manager opens, another window opens where I click Install package. then an error appears that I can have only one download manger program running at a time. Suggests closing synaptic, etc. I can find no other download manager running other than the Update notification which I managed to shut off under processes.
Have used some linux before but this is more than I am used too. Command line structure is not the easiest for some one with no exp with it.
Have had no success with the sudo this and apt-get that commands I have seen listed for OS updates. Cann't even tell if they are working. Sometimes it says that it couldn't open this or flush that and just sits... Is it done or is it still working there is another automatrix window open that says running.

Now trying to update the system but still not sure if it's running or stuck. Looks like it's running as occasionally a window will open but then the terminal says that it installed (none) , couldn't flush stdout; broken pipe
Whats that ? means nothing to me other than failure.

Sorry I'm rambling but this is confusing

What is running? How do I find it? How do I shut it down?
Toshiba Satellite Laptop Ultimate Edition 1.7
2.49 GHZ 1 gig Ram

Sony Vaio XP Home SP2
2.68 GHZ 1 gig Ram
TermiteHunter
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Re: Trouble installing software / updating system

Postby DaddyX3 » Fri May 30, 2008 5:12 pm

Do:
Code: Select all
sudo apt-get update

then follow up with
sudo apt-get upgrade

Hopefully this will get things straightened out for you.
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 2.5GHz 45nm/Gigabyte EP35C-DS3R M.B. w/ddr3 1333
G.Skill 2X1GB DDR3 1333MHz/Gigabyte 8800GT PCIe 2.0 512MB GDDR3 OC'd to 700Mhz/ WD160 gig, 2- WD250 gig in RAID-0 (500GB), WD640 gig e-SATA external

AMD 64 X2 3800+/ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe/G.Skill 2X1GB Matched Pair ddr400
/EVGA 6800GS Nvidia Graphics 256MB/WD160gig drive

HTPC Box:AMD 64 X2 4400+/ BIOSTAR TF7050PV HDMI MicroATX/G.Skill 2X1GB /Matched Pair DDR800/Integrated video and audio/WD160gig drive
DaddyX3
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.3 32 BIT

Postby TermiteHunter » Fri May 30, 2008 5:47 pm

It seems the apt-get update is working (along with some failed installs according to terminal) Will try the upgrade command when this appears to complete. Hard to tell if it's done or still working.
Will this then allow me to download and install other software packages from the net in Firefox? Previous attempts have resulted in the issue with another download manager running. Even when attempted first thing after a cold boot.
2.49 GHZ 1 gig Ram

Sony Vaio XP Home SP2
2.68 GHZ 1 gig Ram
TermiteHunter
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby TermiteHunter » Fri May 30, 2008 6:43 pm

How will I know if it's done with this initial update?
I know its rather large but geez
Last few lines in terminal:

INSTALLED = *(none)*
Installing astromenace
sed; couldn't flush stdout: Broken pipe
dpkg-preconfigure: unable to re-open stdin

Looks to me as if the previous portion downloaded was NOT installed, then starts downloading astromenace, had some kind of problem, had another problem...
Now what? Wait?
I have no clue if it's downloading or what.
No other windows are open as before.
I hear a little occassional HD activity so I assume its downloading.
2.49 GHZ 1 gig Ram

Sony Vaio XP Home SP2
2.68 GHZ 1 gig Ram
TermiteHunter
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby DaddyX3 » Fri May 30, 2008 7:12 pm

Are you talking about the "upgrade" icon on your desktop? Is this what is taking so long to complete? If so, then yes .... it takes for ever to do the full "upgrade" icon - upgrade. Sometimes there is something waiting for your input in the background behind a window somewhere. Just move the windows around to make sure there is nothing hiding out behind it.

-- If your not doing the "upgrade icon" and just running the command I told you to do in terminal window, then I'm not sure why its holding you off so long. Can you post back your sources.list for me? In a terminal type:
gedit /etc/apt/sources.list

then paste it back here so we can see if your all good on your repo list.
G.Skill 2X1GB DDR3 1333MHz/Gigabyte 8800GT PCIe 2.0 512MB GDDR3 OC'd to 700Mhz/ WD160 gig, 2- WD250 gig in RAID-0 (500GB), WD640 gig e-SATA external

HTPC Box:AMD 64 X2 4400+/ BIOSTAR TF7050PV HDMI MicroATX/G.Skill 2X1GB /Matched Pair DDR800/Integrated video and audio/WD160gig drive
DaddyX3
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby vinca » Fri May 30, 2008 7:19 pm

Also, just wanna throw this out there, 1.8 is recently out, i think the best ultimate yet, you might want to try an upgrade if you can save all your files/settings somewhere, there are also some backup tools installed already.
Vinca... aka BIG V

http://www.scienceprousa.com
Specs:
4gb ddr2 667 ram
Intel Core2Duo E6300 oced to 2.2 ghz
Radeon x1600
Arctic cooling freezer 7 pro
2x 250 gb western digital hard drives soon to be in raid
all on ULTIMATE EDITION!!!!

~Energy and persistence conquer all things~ -Ben Franklin
vinca
U.E. Master
U.E. Master

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby TermiteHunter » Fri May 30, 2008 11:36 pm

I have some how managed to complete both the upgrade and update. I must have been complete as the last lines entered in the previous posting are still present 4+ hours later. (not counting the time it took to get to that point) Again I ask , How do I know when its done?
This did clear up the inability to download and install other software packages from the internet.
I first attempted Ultimate 1.8 but was unable to get the wireless connection working. Thought I would step back to 1.7 which seemed to have fewer wireless problems.
2.49 GHZ 1 gig Ram

Sony Vaio XP Home SP2
2.68 GHZ 1 gig Ram
TermiteHunter
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby DaddyX3 » Fri May 30, 2008 11:50 pm

What kind of internet speed do you have?
And, once again - I will ask, DID YOU CLICK ON THE UPGRADE ICON ON YOUR DESKTOP? IS THAT WHERE YOU ARE STUCK?

DaddyX3
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby TermiteHunter » Sat May 31, 2008 12:22 am

Cable internet
BOTH
update in command now complete
upgrade via icon now complete

Instead of the yelling you might have read the post which indicated that both were accomplished, indicating that I am no longer "stuck"
The question was more along the lines of... when such commands are entered in terminal
How do you know when they are complete?
The last response from the terminal does not indicate whether it is still in process or if complete..The upgrade being a long process is understandable but again it is difficult to tell when it is complete.
2.49 GHZ 1 gig Ram

Sony Vaio XP Home SP2
2.68 GHZ 1 gig Ram
TermiteHunter
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby cowboy » Sat May 31, 2008 12:43 am

When you enter a command in the terminal..using mine for example..it will look like this..david@acowboydave:~$ ..when it is completed or done it will look like this..david@acowboydave:~$ ..giving you the option of entering another command... ;)
"Back up your Data"
"May I never lose the view of a nubie"
"Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man how to fish , he will eat a lifetime"
Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
i5 2500k
3x4G-Skill Ripjaws
MSI GTX 560Ti Hawk..
Seagate 1TB Barracuda
NZXT 850w PS
CM Storm Sniper Case
Evga Superclock CPU Cooler
Mushkin SSD coming soon
http://acowboydave.blogspot.com/
cowboy
U.E. God