Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

General setup of Compiz Fusion

General setup of Compiz Fusion

Postby TheeMahn » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:39 pm

I have been asked by some that are newer to compiz and Ultimate Edition on how to setup compiz fusion, what I may see as elementary dear watson others do not see it that way. I would like to dub this beginners guide to compiz...

One thing that is asked of me I only see 2 sides of the cube, well it is not a cube it can be an octogon, hexagon, cube ,triangle etc. You can have many faces to your desktop. 2 is sufficient for most users unless you are a poweruser and can multi-task better then me :) I typically run 15 or so programs at a time and 2 desktops is enough for me same with 2 monitors, 3 was overkill.

Ok enough already how do I get more then 2 desktops!!!?

System >> Preferences >> Advanced Desktop Effect Settings

General, hmm should speak for itself...
Screenshot-2.png
Selecting general options

did you say hexagon (horizontal virtual size) ?
Screenshot-3.png
have a hexagon.

Settings to pay attention to... If you have a high end card you may want to set textures best under display settings, otherwise general is not all that or a bag of chips, naturally with auto detect refresh typically enabled by default.

I will continue to elaborate on this as time goes on, I would much rather answer a question openly and have many users read it and learn then help just 1 person.

Cube Caps:
This has also been a common question asked of me, I will take the time and address it now...
Cube Caps are the custom pics users set as the top of the cube err hex etc. I will not take the time to show you where not to put them this is actually somewhat confusing, it is due to the devolpment team that makes compiz replacing it with a "plugin".
Screenshot-4.png
Cube caps Plugin

Selecting new image:
Screenshot-5.png
Cube caps new image by clicking edit

Results:
Screenshot-6.png
My logo in place ;)

Not good enough for me lets scale it...
Screenshot-7.png
Scaleing cube caps

Results:
Screenshot-8.png
Cube Caps After scaled

Skydome:

My, my this is a nice plugin when utilized correctly. Most users place an image of grandma here ;) This will not suffice unless the image of grandma is a 360 degree panoramic image of your current resolution. While as this image may look like crap on your screen, when it it set as a skydome will rock (not of grandma by the way) I have in the past used an image of a pool when viewed you hover over the pool and can look in 360 degrees just as if you were hovering over the pool. I will provide a few here so you can see what it is all about as well as point you in the right direction to get more.

Lets get down to business. How do I set my skydome image?
Screenshot-9.png
Visiting the cube, cube why cube...

Screenshot-11.png
Setting skydome

Results:
Screenshot-10.png
It gets much better then stars

Damn, I am not even close to done and posts fly in....

To be continued...

TheeMahn
Home of Ultimate Edition. Got a question? Please review the F.A.Q. Browse the How to section.

Main O/S: Builder of O/S Guess.
Mainboard: ASUS Hero VI (AM4)
CPU: AMD 1700X water cooled (Deepcool Captain Genome Cooling tower)
Ram: 16 GB GSkill Trident RGB Series Dual Channel DDR4 3200
Video: MSI RX470 8GB Gaming card.
Hard Disks: MASSIVE on the network.(10 Gigabit, 48 port, multiple servers)
Monitors: Dual 4K 43" LG, 4K Samsung 28"
750 Watt modular PSU (Rosswell)
1100 Watt Amp & 4 X 600 Watt speakers

Servers in the basement.
TheeMahn
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition Developer

Re: General setup of Compiz Fusion

Postby Baphomet » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:54 pm

May I contribute something I found reeeeally helpful? When I started with Compiz I saw all those plugins but had not idea what they did...

(Put? Scale Addons? ... Whiskey! Tango! Foxtrot!)

Then I found this Compiz-Fusion wiki-style webpage full of explanations and pics of what all those different plugins do, what they look like, etc.

http://wiki.opencompositing.org/PluginsMain
I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am...

If it's not broken, you haven't tweaked it enough.

Beginners Guide: Linux 101
Baphomet
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.2 64 BIT

Postby TheeMahn » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:36 pm

Baphomet wrote:May I contribute something I found reeeeally helpful? When I started with Compiz I saw all those plugins but had not idea what they did...

(Put? Scale Addons? ... Whiskey! Tango! Foxtrot!)

Then I found this Compiz-Fusion wiki-style webpage full of explanations and pics of what all those different plugins do, what they look like, etc.

http://wiki.opencompositing.org/PluginsMain

I thank you for your great explanation via link, but step by step is what I prefer (this section is for new users of compiz), some are not as computer savvy as others. I have full intentions of helping all users. Those that are mac daddy on the comp can blow though what they don't need to know. I do appreciate the link for those that just want to know what the plugins do. Many of the users that are here are somewhat new to *nix and I grant you I may have been the one to open their eyes to it, a majority love it from what I have witnessed firsthand. I do not want to lose them due to a "kernel panic" which is by the way much better then a blue screen of death ;)

Thanks,

TheeMahn
Home of Ultimate Edition. Got a question? Please review the F.A.Q. Browse the How to section.

Main O/S: Builder of O/S Guess.
Mainboard: ASUS Hero VI (AM4)
CPU: AMD 1700X water cooled (Deepcool Captain Genome Cooling tower)
Ram: 16 GB GSkill Trident RGB Series Dual Channel DDR4 3200
Video: MSI RX470 8GB Gaming card.
Hard Disks: MASSIVE on the network.(10 Gigabit, 48 port, multiple servers)
Monitors: Dual 4K 43" LG, 4K Samsung 28"
750 Watt modular PSU (Rosswell)
1100 Watt Amp & 4 X 600 Watt speakers

Servers in the basement.
TheeMahn
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition Developer

Postby djabhi » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:07 am

how do i get a cube?? i tried everything ..but cant get a cube..!! please help me....
djabhi
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.4 32 BIT

Postby cowboy » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:37 am

You need to read the above posts. Are you in Compiz? right click the desktop..click.. change desktop background..click Visual Effects..go down to the bottom and click custom and then click preference..that will get you to the Compiz Setting Manager. There are other ways to do this but we will start with this way first, While in Compiz Setting Manager, click General Options..then click on the top..click desktop size..set yours to look like mine..Horizontal virtual size set to 4..that should get you the "cube".. ;)
Attachments
Screenshot-1.png
Screenshot.png
"Back up your Data"
"May I never lose the view of a nubie"
"Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man how to fish , he will eat a lifetime"
Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
i5 2500k
3x4G-Skill Ripjaws
MSI GTX 560Ti Hawk..
Seagate 1TB Barracuda
NZXT 850w PS
CM Storm Sniper Case
Evga Superclock CPU Cooler
Mushkin SSD coming soon
http://acowboydave.blogspot.com/
cowboy
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby susan123 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:42 am

i really appreciate this nice post.......
susan prince
susan123
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby cowboy » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:50 am

Welcome to Ultimate Edition....
"Back up your Data"
"May I never lose the view of a nubie"
"Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man how to fish , he will eat a lifetime"
Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
i5 2500k
3x4G-Skill Ripjaws
MSI GTX 560Ti Hawk..
Seagate 1TB Barracuda
NZXT 850w PS
CM Storm Sniper Case
Evga Superclock CPU Cooler
Mushkin SSD coming soon
http://acowboydave.blogspot.com/
cowboy
U.E. God