Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Replace FSlint with Kleansweep

A place to make suggestions...

Replace FSlint with Kleansweep

Postby 2hot6ft2 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:40 pm

I did some searching to find out which duplicate file finder was better and came to the conclusion that Kleansweep is a better choice from what I have read. Frankly after all that reading I wasn't going to even try running FSlint (it sounded a little unstable). I installed Kleansweep and uninstalled FSlint and ran it over 11 of my hard drives and it performed beautifully. They were long overdue for a good cleaning. :lol:

So my suggestion is to replace FSlint with Kleansweep. There ya have it, my 2 cents worth. <BREW>

Synaptics info for each for quick reference

KleanSweep allows you to reclaim disk space by finding unneeded files.
It can search for files basing on several criterias; you can seek for:
- empty files
- empty directories
- backup files
- broken symbolic links
- broken executables (executables with missing libraries)
- dead menu entries (.desktop files pointing to non-existing executables)
- duplicated files
- orphaned files -- files not found in RPM (for rpm-based distros, e.g.
Fedora Core, Suse) or DPKG (for dpkg based distros, e.g. Debian and Ubuntu)
database
- obsolete thumbnails (thumbnails conforming to freedesktop.org standard,
pointing to non-existing images)

FSlint is a toolkit to clean filesystem lint. It includes a GTK+ GUI
as well as a command line interface and can be used to reclaim disk space.
It has an interface for uninstalling packages, and it can find things like:

- Duplicate files
- Problematic filenames
- Temporary files
- Bad symlinks
- Empty directories
- Nonstripped binaries
HP G60-125NR - AMD Turion X2 64 - nVidia GeForce 8200M G - 128 GB SSD Dual boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro
HP G60-121WM - AMD Sempron SI-40 - nVidia GeForce 8200M G - 128 GB SSD - Dual boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro
Custom build, Rosewill Challenger ATX Gaming Case, AMD Phenom II x4 955 C3 rev., MSI 870A-G54, 2x ATI HD4850 512MB /256bit GDDR3 & dual precision, GSkill 8GB 1600 RAM - Multi boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro, Beta Testing
2hot6ft2

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Re: Replace FSlint with Kleansweep

Postby TheeMahn » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:00 am

2hot6ft2 wrote:I did some searching to find out which duplicate file finder was better and came to the conclusion that Kleansweep is a better choice from what I have read. Frankly after all that reading I wasn't going to even try running FSlint (it sounded a little unstable). I installed Kleansweep and uninstalled FSlint and ran it over 11 of my hard drives and it performed beautifully. They were long overdue for a good cleaning. :lol:

So my suggestion is to replace FSlint with Kleansweep. There ya have it, my 2 cents worth. <BREW>

Synaptics info for each for quick reference

KleanSweep allows you to reclaim disk space by finding unneeded files.
It can search for files basing on several criterias; you can seek for:
- empty files
- empty directories
- backup files
- broken symbolic links
- broken executables (executables with missing libraries)
- dead menu entries (.desktop files pointing to non-existing executables)
- duplicated files
- orphaned files -- files not found in RPM (for rpm-based distros, e.g.
Fedora Core, Suse) or DPKG (for dpkg based distros, e.g. Debian and Ubuntu)
database
- obsolete thumbnails (thumbnails conforming to freedesktop.org standard,
pointing to non-existing images)

FSlint is a toolkit to clean filesystem lint. It includes a GTK+ GUI
as well as a command line interface and can be used to reclaim disk space.
It has an interface for uninstalling packages, and it can find things like:

- Duplicate files
- Problematic filenames
- Temporary files
- Bad symlinks
- Empty directories
- Nonstripped binaries

Didn't I just post a thanks to you on ubuntuforums ;) I have never used KleanSweep, so I can not give you an answer, yet. One of the finer points of fslint is MP3 dupes it does awesome at finding them file name can be totally different and if will still dupe it out CRC / MD5SUM are beautiful tools fslint is just a fontend to them.

I will try it, however I can not guarantee to "replace" fslint perhaps add KleanSweep. Thank you for bringing the tool to my attention.

TheeMahn,
Home of Ultimate Edition. Got a question? Please review the F.A.Q. Browse the How to section.

Main O/S: Builder of O/S Guess.
Mainboard: ASUS Hero VI (AM4)
CPU: AMD 1700X water cooled (Deepcool Captain Genome Cooling tower)
Ram: 16 GB GSkill Trident RGB Series Dual Channel DDR4 3200
Video: MSI RX470 8GB Gaming card.
Hard Disks: MASSIVE on the network.(10 Gigabit, 48 port, multiple servers)
Monitors: Dual 4K 43" LG, 4K Samsung 28"
750 Watt modular PSU (Rosswell)
1100 Watt Amp & 4 X 600 Watt speakers

Servers in the basement.
TheeMahn
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition Developer

Re: Replace FSlint with Kleansweep

Postby 2hot6ft2 » Thu May 06, 2010 11:17 pm

TheeMahn wrote:Didn't I just post a thanks to you on ubuntuforums ;) I have never used KleanSweep, so I can not give you an answer, yet. One of the finer points of fslint is MP3 dupes it does awesome at finding them file name can be totally different and if will still dupe it out CRC / MD5SUM are beautiful tools fslint is just a fontend to them.

I will try it, however I can not guarantee to "replace" fslint perhaps add KleanSweep. Thank you for bringing the tool to my attention.

TheeMahn,

You mean this one?
Ubuntu / Ultimate Edition Post #10
TheeMahn2003;9091024 wrote:Thanks gentlemen for your kind words & sorry for the downtime.

No need to apologize for the downtime. Things happen.

I have never trusted a duplicate file finder with MP3's, I have always used a media player organizer for that (media monkey in windows, did I say that?). I must have missed that info. when I was comparing the options. Sorry for taking so long to get back to this thread. I really wasn't expecting an answer to it.

I thought this was more like a suggestion drop box where you drop in suggestions for consideration and that was it.
I'll have to give fslint a shot sometime since I trust your judgment and if you like it there must be a reason. ;)

You're welcome for the input, if I come across something else that may have been overlooked I'll let you know.

2hot6ft2
HP G60-125NR - AMD Turion X2 64 - nVidia GeForce 8200M G - 128 GB SSD Dual boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro
HP G60-121WM - AMD Sempron SI-40 - nVidia GeForce 8200M G - 128 GB SSD - Dual boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro
Custom build, Rosewill Challenger ATX Gaming Case, AMD Phenom II x4 955 C3 rev., MSI 870A-G54, 2x ATI HD4850 512MB /256bit GDDR3 & dual precision, GSkill 8GB 1600 RAM - Multi boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro, Beta Testing
2hot6ft2

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Return to Suggestions