Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Small Suggestions for Next Version

A place to make suggestions...

Small Suggestions for Next Version

Postby down8ve » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:38 am

Thanks for such a nice, usable 64-bit distro. I really would like to use it full time, but there are a couple of annoyances that could be addressed for average users, making Ultimate far better than the other Ubuntu derivatives.

1. Even though the artwork is terrific, there is an issue with toolbar buttons being too large, wasting precious real estate on the desktop. For instance, in Rhythmbox and Evolution the various buttons are quite large. This can be solved by selecting "use small size" from the customization menu (where possible) in many applications, yet there is other wasted space for controls and such that, when combined with the two default Gnome panels, squeezes your actual workspace within a really small vertical area.

OpenOffice should have its own icon set within the default theme. This would avoid any confusion for users, as the use of text in the current theme runs together and pushes often-used tools off the visible section of the toolbar.

I would like to see an additional theme for the system that gives applications white workspaces with black text yet retains the rest of the wonderful theme developed by TheeMann. Every time I have tried to customize the theme to do this, I lose some other aspect of the theme, such as the default colors for the volume pop-up when I push my keyboard volume buttons.

2. The "Upgrade" options on the desktop should not include an upgrade option that overwrites the currently installed desktop. If a user mistakenly selects the "Ultimate Edition" option, he loses various bits of the theme, including the login screen. There were other small issues that happened when I did this by mistake, and I had to re-install the system to clear it up.

Please don't take this in any other way than constructive criticism, I really appreciate your work.
down8ve
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Re: Small Suggestions for Next Version

Postby pch.shot » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:58 pm

No operating system is perfect(look at Windows and Mac). The great tihng about Ultimate is it is fully customizable if you know what you are doing(I'm sure you can change the icons to whatever you want-start hitting some buttons and see what happens-you can always re-install in a half hour if you muck something up). I'm sure your suggestions will be taken into consideration. Probably some of your requests should be submitted to Open Office or Ubuntu or Gnome(or whoever writes the software).
This is an operating system based on Hardy Heron so some of the features are Ubuntu not Ultimate. Enjoy the operating system. The more you use it the more you will never want to use anything else. You will be waiting(chomping at the bit so to speak) for the next version to come out. I know I do. lol,pch
p.s. If you want to know how to do anything just ask. Someone will be there to help.
Systems Windows XP Pro 32 bit & various Linux in Virtual Box and VMWare Player
Intel i7 2600K cpu with built in Intel 3000 video
1 OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig ssd(System)
1 Western Digital 2 Terabyte Green internal hard drive(Storage)
Kingston ddr3 1333 ram(4 gig)
MSI Z68A-GD80(G3)mobo w/hdmi video and optical audio
Realtek HD audio
Realtek lan
1 LG sata optical drive
Antec Sonata IV case/620 watt psu
50 inch LG plasma tv/monitor
Sony surround sound amp
Axiom speakers
optical sound
pch.shot
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Microsoft Windows

Postby Baphomet » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:03 pm

down8ve wrote:1. Even though the artwork is terrific, there is an issue with toolbar buttons being too large, wasting precious real estate on the desktop. For instance, in Rhythmbox and Evolution the various buttons are quite large. This can be solved by selecting "use small size" from the customization menu (where possible) in many applications, yet there is other wasted space for controls and such that, when combined with the two default Gnome panels, squeezes your actual workspace within a really small vertical area.

This I'm not following. Are you saying the buttons that Rhythmbox and Evolution use are too large? You say "various" buttons" so I'm assuming you don't mean the toolbar icon or the desktop icon either. The size of button within an application is not something the distro controls, the software developer decides how large the icons, buttons and controls are in any given application. I'm also not understanding how the icon size on either of the gnome panels relates to "real estate on the desktop". The gnome panels use X amount of desktop space (assuming they're not hidden) regardless of what icons are displayed on them.

If you're referring instead to the desktop icons for applications, right-click on the icon and choose "Stretch Icon" from the context menu to resize it.

If you're talking about the icons on the Gnome Panel, then you're going to have to provide a screen-shot because I have no idea how one of the icons on a gnome panel could be "too big". Have you maybe resized your gnome panels? I don't see what else could be blamed for what you say "...squeezes your actual workspace within a really small vertical area." Again, a screen-shot would help elucidate the issue.

If it's of any help to you, I delete one gnome panel entirely (why do I need two?) and then clear most everything off the one remaining panel. Further, I use the Gimme desktop organizer instead of the default menu and Gnome Do! for lightening fast access via my keyboard instead of messy desktop icons and such.
I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am...

If it's not broken, you haven't tweaked it enough.

Beginners Guide: Linux 101
Baphomet
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.2 64 BIT

Postby numero13 » Tue May 04, 2010 5:59 am

the only thing i want to know is if its possible create Ultimate Edition like ubuntu netbok remix.

It is the only suggestion i have.
numero13
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.0 Gamers

Return to Suggestions