Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Programming tutorials?

Source code I have written openly published for your viewing pleasure.

Programming tutorials?

Postby WitchyWays » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:09 am

Hey guys,what's up. Still running U.E.3.0; no corruption but I get a black screen every now and again and I'm dead in water until hard reboot. Oh well. That's not what this post is about. To the point: I p.m.'d Blackwolf the other day about wanting to learn programming, which I have for some time now. He thought I should post on OZ's side (of the forum); I wish I could pull my original post to him over here, If you can do it please feel free Black wolf. I'll try to sum it up. OK, self taught programming: where should I start. I want it to be Linux/Opensource.I don't want to learn something obsolete or the Chinese alphabet to start. I was originally thinking L.F.S. (Linux from Scratch). Thier are so many languages I don't know which one to work on first or concentrate on.I also wanted to know if you guys knew of any online sites that might help.BlackWolf thought it might be a good forum topic. I can share what sites I know of now, however I'll have get back to you on that to round them up. Any thoughts besides I'm nuts :twisted: :lol: Yea I know I'm talking about a huge undertaking. Like I said before "Either educate yourself or get educated" WitchyWays out
WitchyWays
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Re: programming

Postby onosendai58 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:05 am

WitchyWays wrote:Hey guys,what's up. Still running U.E.3.0; no corruption but I get a black screen every now and again and I'm dead in water until hard reboot. Oh well. That's not what this post is about. To the point: I p.m.'d Blackwolf the other day about wanting to learn programming, which I have for some time now. He thought I should post on OZ's side (of the forum); I wish I could pull my original post to him over here, If you can do it please feel free Black wolf. I'll try to sum it up. OK, self taught programming: where should I start. I want it to be Linux/Opensource.I don't want to learn something obsolete or the Chinese alphabet to start. I was originally thinking L.F.S. (Linux from Scratch). Thier are so many languages I don't know which one to work on first or concentrate on.I also wanted to know if you guys knew of any online sites that might help.BlackWolf thought it might be a good forum topic. I can share what sites I know of now, however I'll have get back to you on that to round them up. Any thoughts besides I'm nuts :twisted: :lol: Yea I know I'm talking about a huge undertaking. Like I said before "Either educate yourself or get educated" WitchyWays out

Personally, I would go with L.F.S. It`s like in auto shop in school building a car to see how it all fits together, whether it runs at first crank doesn`t matter, you have the tools and techniques down. You have my utmost respect, keep us informed; in fact, why not make an ongoing topic? Something like "Building My First OS"? We could all learn and benefit from it. :winner :winner :winner
I love Ultimate Edition & Oz Unity
onosendai58
U.E. Master
U.E. Master

Operating System: Microsoft Windows

Re: Programming tutorials?

Postby WitchyWays » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:11 am

Thanks brother, Ill let you guys know what I come up with. As far as my own O.S., don't hold your breath just yet.I still have research to do about my direction.BlackWolf gave me some links I have yet to look at; and some other avenues as well. Ono, I'll tell you what: first off thanks for the encouragement; second it's good to know someone else is recommending L.F.S.. The tell you what part; I'll turn this into a type of blog with my trials,tribulations and progress; or lack of concerning my journey if that's ok with the moderators. I know I can be long winded at times but I'm not going to tell what I had for breakfast or anything :lol: Give me some time to get my plan of attack formulated and the go ahead from the boards and I'll be posting: good or bad :yesno . WitchyWays out for now :voyant
WitchyWays
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Postby onosendai58 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:51 pm

Take your time, my friend. With TheeMahn rebuilding 3.0, we`re not going anywhere! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I love Ultimate Edition & Oz Unity
onosendai58
U.E. Master
U.E. Master

Operating System: Microsoft Windows

Re: Programming tutorials? (all learning is fun)

Postby Reticent » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:19 pm

If you pursue LinuxFromScratchhttp://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/7.0-rc1/index.html, I hope to follow.
Like auto shop, knowing how it all works together gives rich perspective.
(And maybe later, a link for assembler - http://asm.sourceforge.net/ )
(forum's Glass style helped readability during dark-shift - wish I remembered how to set it!)
Reticent
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Other O/S

Postby jim » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:48 am

I've just started going through an online course called "Learn Code The Hard Way." The html versions are free.

http://learncodethehardway.org/

I'm starting with python because it was recommended to me as a good start for beginners. Good luck with whichever route you take. I'm looking forward to your updates. :)
jim
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Operating System: Other Linux

Postby TheeMahn » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:07 pm

Personally knowing what I know when it comes to programming I would begin with bash. I recently created a new resume they wanted to know what programming languages I knew. Well that is quite the list, I cut it down to a list of about 10 languages that I was sure the company would be interested in bash was one of them. Bash gets a bad rap as being a kiddie or scripting language similar to writing a batch file in windows. This is somewhat true and by the same token completely a understatement. When mixed with tools at virtually any nix box such as sed, xargs etc. Extremely powerful.

Personally I find the easiest way to learn is to rip a program up and analyse it as you change it. I hate the idea of re-creating the wheel ;) I have written many programs in bash, I have released the source for your viewing pleasure. Once you have bash behind you I would move on to python and follow though with C. I have written software for those langs as well Ultimate Player is written in both C and python. Ultamatix is written in 3 languages python, bash and zenity, fix it for me ;)
Home of Ultimate Edition. Got a question? Please review the F.A.Q. Browse the How to section.

Main O/S: Builder of O/S Guess.
Mainboard: ASUS Hero VI (AM4)
CPU: AMD 1700X water cooled (Deepcool Captain Genome Cooling tower)
Ram: 16 GB GSkill Trident RGB Series Dual Channel DDR4 3200
Video: MSI RX470 8GB Gaming card.
Hard Disks: MASSIVE on the network.(10 Gigabit, 48 port, multiple servers)
Monitors: Dual 4K 43" LG, 4K Samsung 28"
750 Watt modular PSU (Rosswell)
1100 Watt Amp & 4 X 600 Watt speakers

Servers in the basement.
TheeMahn
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition Developer

Postby dougal » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:31 pm

Great suggestions by TheeMahn.
I would like to add my own suggestion because I am seriously considering this course this year. Look here: http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/undergradu ... 29fr_eml01

Not sure yet if it will be the May entry or the September entry yet. I have other things on my plate first...
Looks like the course takes us through all the basics needed to learn Linux including building our own distro.
Okay you have to pay but, the Open Uni has a good reputation and I have used them for other courses and found it easy enough with a community of other students as well as an appointed tutor.
ImageImage

Serious Ultimate Edition user with little talent but, stacks of enthusiasm and willing to help anyone as much as I humbly can...
Main OS: Ultimate Edition 2.6 on all my machines (can't live without Emerald)
On probation OS: 3.5 64-bit
dougal
Site Admin

Re: Programming tutorials - or Learning Linux :?:

Postby Reticent » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:22 pm

Just installing Arch https://www.archlinux.org/ is in a class :P of its own - like auto shop, you learn the nuts and bolts of Linux hands-on.
And then there's http://lowfatlinux.com/ for newbies, and then http://beginlinux.org/ and for engineers http://free-electrons.com/training/.
http://www.learnbydoingit.org/2010/11/sites-offering-free-linux-courses-online/
http://linux.about.com/od/linuxonlinecourses/Linux_Online_Courses.htm
Sorry, running on. :oops: (Say when?)
(forum's Glass style helped readability during dark-shift - wish I remembered how to set it!)
Reticent
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby WitchyWays » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:51 am

First off guys a big thank you :weeee All the help is greatly appreciated. A small update: I've been thinking about Python, and then I ran into Python2 and 3. Obviously start at 1 duh. I have started to read Bob's " Low fat Linux" and have downloaded "advanced shell scripting" and The L.F.S. e-book. THEEMAHN Thanks for the point in the right direction, I seemed to be going there somehow mainly from inferencing from what I kept coming across. Python and shell bash scripting. The e-book title says advanced; but the description says from non programmer to advanced so anyway I have it. As far as the Python lang. I wasn't 100% sure but now I am. Thank again. O.K. a few sites I came across. Novell offers one all about SUSE. There is this awesome site called" Academic Earth" they have all kinds of subjects and courses; some for credit and others not. The kicker is they (the professors) are all from Ivy league institutions; M.I.T. ,Harvard,Stanford,Yale, check it out ; there's something for everyone. Hey THEE thanks for the laugh :lol: when and if I'm able to help contribute I'd be happy to help. Before I forget some more info about e-books; I got some through Distowatch's "TradePub." some are good some are 10-15 page intros. I'll get back to you guys with full names to sites ect. So for now I'll check the ones you suggested, thanks to all. WitchyWays out.
WitchyWays
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Next

Return to Programming