If you can't get the older TUM scripts working on your box, you are going to have to make it manually as the new TUM is a WIP. Try only using 1 image in tum at a time(i.e. moon.png) and see how that works
Here's how to make one manually:
Run: sudo apt-get install make gcc libbogl-dev libusplash-dev
Download and from my previous post.
Extract them onto your system somewhere.
Replace the images in usplashmagick/usplash folder with your preferred images(just make sure the throbbers are the same size for now 216x8)
run /bin/bash usplashmagick-prepareimages 640x400 640x480 800x600 1024x768 1280x1024 1365x768 1440x900
Once the images are generated copy them to the ultimate 1.9 usplash folder and replace and rename them to TheeMahn's naming scheme(my bg images have x's and his have _'s, also he's got a ton of throbber images).
Once you have all the images replaced/renamed in the ultimate 1.9 folder, open a terminal in that folder and type: make
That should create your .so file correctly. Once that is done, then load it into usplash switcher.
You can test the usplash yourself by doing: sudo usplash -c -x 800 -y 600
...or you can use the usplashmagick-test bash script I posted above.
As long as your running your usplash with quiet/non-verbose it should be fine.
EDIT: hmm come to think of it, you really need to mess with the c code if you want a perfect usplash since I know for a fact that the text offsets in the eft-theme.c example in /usr/share/doc/libusplash-dev/examples are in the wrong position. It looks like TheeMahn fixed his right but you're stuck with his position choice. You should only see the text when around every 40th time you boot, it decides to fsck one of your partitions...
update- I did figure out how to get the individual palette indexes so they can be used in a GUI. I found some great info on string splitting without awk and it works wonders. I'm suprised I couldn't find any info on it in other bash references.
Makefile creator script is also done.
Now all I need to do is finish the dynamic theme creator script that takes into account(resolutions, palette indexes, text position, and animation type)
Other than that, tidy up my install/test scripts to work with the finalized code...
Just torrented 1.9 and now seeding...I'll install it later this week